BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12/1999 build on the 2000 E39 M5. I have been following the posts about the vanos noise fix. My car is getting close to its 15K service and the service engine soon light has come on, so I figure that I will get my car all fixed up, but I don't have the vanos "diesel" noise.

What do you guys think, if it aint broke, don't fix it, or fix it before it breaks and causes wear?

Your help would be appricieted.

J.D.

·
Registered
52 Posts
you know - i keep asking my dealer about the varnos fix -- and he keeps telling me it doesn't exist.

what's the story - is this real or not? are there any service bulletin #s i can give my dealer?

thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts
ditto here. Lauderdale BMW has no idea what the hell I'm talking about. My noise comes and goes and whenever I've been at the dealer its not happening.

Whats he bulletin #?

------------------
00' ///M5 Titanium Silver/Caramel
00' Vette convertible NBM

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dealer doesn't know anything about it either.

There was a post August 24, 2000 by Parkerfe.

He referenced a BMW repair instruction:11 36 070/ 11 36 080/ 11 36 90

I don't know if this is a real BMW instruction or not, but you may want to look back to the Aug 24 post. There are several responses.

Hope this helps.

J.D.

·
Registered
68 Posts
HealyG

do you go to Greenwich?? I asked last week at my service ang they said they had heard nothing

Nick

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by jds:
I have a 12/1999 build on the 2000 E39 M5. I have been following the posts about the vanos noise fix. My car is getting close to its 15K service and the service engine soon light has come on, so I figure that I will get my car all fixed up, but I don't have the vanos "diesel" noise.

What do you guys think, if it aint broke, don't fix it, or fix it before it breaks and causes wear?

Your help would be appricieted.

J.D.
I would. The noise it makes can cause the knock sensor to retard the timing which reduced performance.

------------------

·
Registered
28 Posts
I attended the Spartanburg M5 Driving Experience and was told by the guy (Richard smth) who trains master technicians at their Performance Center (now that would mean he really know his stuff) that the problem DOES exist and that there are spacers available to fix it. ALmost a day's worth of labor is involved.
He told me to fix it only if it bothers me and that it has no bearing on the performance or engine durability. Now, go figure!
He told me to wait until BMW NA releases the fix officially.
That's all folks.
I have a DIESEL and it sure bothers me. It doesn't happen all the time but I can hear it pretty well when car is parked close to the garage door (resonance) and especially audible from below the drivers door.

Chris
April production M5

·
Registered
677 Posts
I asked both my dealer and BMW NA about this issue. According to them, the only fix that is available in the US is the "shaft" fix. As I recall, this is the fix that has been around for some time and has been proven unreliable. I asked them about the new "pre pump" fix and they don't have a clue. Can someone who has the new "pre pump" fix speak up again? If you will send me a copy of the repair sheet, I will forward it to BMW NA.

Later,
Kenneth
'00 silverstone M5

See related links for more info on this issue: http://www.bmwm5.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000848.html http://www.bmwm5.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000748.html

·
Registered
68 Posts
I posed the question last week to BMW through the Owners Circle on the BMW website. As promised, they got back to me the next day (9/29) with a phone message. The representative said "they are aware of the dieseling problem... their engineers are looking into it.... they should have a decision shortly... and that I should stay in touch with my BMW center".

While the response was timely, the rep really didn't say a whole lot, as there was no specific timeline given and there also was no specific committment that they will even come up with a fix. They didn't say they wouldn't, but they also didn't say they would.

I think I'll wait another month and then revisit the issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts