BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was feeling really good about myself after taking on my first "major" project on the M5. Did a thermostat change and to make it easier on myself, I removed the Vanos lines for better access. Like a good DIY mechanic, I ordered new copper crush washers along with the thermostat parts. Put everything back together, started the car, went to the engine compartment to see the fruits of my labor...and OIL IS SHOOTING EVERYWHERE like the opening of the Beverly Hillbillies.

Apparently, the crush washers were not the right size (my fault for not checking them more closely) and I actually pinched one when tightening. I read the correct torque is 20 N/M... can anyone verify that?

This experience has not only caused me a large oil stain on the garage floor (about at qt), I have learned to be more careful about overlooking even minor details when working on the M5.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am referring to parts 1 and 10 in this pic. The smaller ends of those hoses where the oil comes through. It still amazes me how much comes out of there in such a short time.

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, thanks for the info. I may have over tightened the washers as it is. Will report back after the 2nd attempt.

·
Registered
40 Posts
if that can help you
<TABLE><TBODY class=tis><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>
</TD><TD>Cylinder bank\~5\~to\~8:
Replace sealing rings.
Fit oil line to VANOS adjustment unit.
Tightening torque<S class=popup>Variable Camshaft ControlVariable Camshaft Control11 36 </S>9AZ . </TD></TR><TR><TD>
</TD><TD>Cylinder bank\~1\~to\~4:
Replace sealing rings.
Attach oil line to VANOS adjustment unit.
Tightening torque<S class=popup>Variable Camshaft ControlVariable Camshaft Control11 36 </S>9AZ .
Assemble engine. </TD></TR><TR><TD>
</TD><TD>Caution!
There is air in the VANOS system once it is opened.
In the first few seconds after startup this results in a clearly discernible "rattling noise".
This rattling noise does "not" indicate incorrect assembly.
The rattling noise will disappear as soon as the oil pressure has built up and the system has vented. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I am referring to parts 1 and 10 in this pic. The smaller ends of those hoses where the oil comes through. It still amazes me how much comes out of there in such a short time.
thats because those lines are running 100bar of oil pressure, iirc 1bar = around 14psi... do the math.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Didnt realize the pressure was that high... makes sense now. 6 new copper crush washers and a torque to 13 N/M and all is well again. Cleared the codes and no coolant leaks. So far, so good. Too bad we just had the biggest snow storm of the year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts