• Yes

Votes: 10 22.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since alot of M5s are beginning to get up there in mileage, I was curious as to how many cars actually have had a VANOS issue.

So please participate in the poll if you have an E60 M5 (unless the E39 had the same high pressure system, I don't know), and please indicate the following:

-Year of your M5
-Mileage of your M5
-Details of the VANOS problem if you had one (oil line, unit replacement, reduced power warnings, etc...)

I'll start:

2008 M5, 36K miles, no issues.

-Dave

·
Registered
431 Posts
no serious issues

When I first bought it a 19,000 miles I had constant vanos noise. I drive it a lot more than the previous owner, and I'm guessing, a lot harder, and now, no vanos noise at all.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
2001 m5 155k on it only have done selonoid seals as preventive maint however i am planning on pulling them out when i do valve cover gaskets and have dr vanos go thru them and remachine the bearings in the spline shafts. in the next couple of months the beast is going under the knife rod bearings , major serivce , vanos etc

·
Registered
83 Posts
2006 with 72k no issues. Had a 04 M3, vanos crapped out @ 60k, sheared bolts on the cams. common failure on these units

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
2008 w/ 39980-ish. no VANOS issues *knock on wood*

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I had all the vanos valves (both banks and both exhaust and inlet) done at 55,000 miles plus they replaced the pump. Engine check light on if I moved the car on the drive but didn't go anywhere then after next proper journey (Fully hot/full start/drive cycle) light would go out until I just moved the car!? No other faults or symtoms evident. Dealer followed direction from Germany to fault finding and parts replacement which took 3 weeks due to ordering parts bit by bit then testing in between.

All under warranty.

Jay

·
Registered
159 Posts
2008 with 23k miles. I've probably had the car a
little more than a month. There has been an intermittent buzzing noise
coming from the left side of the engine. I had no CEL and the car
felt strong, so I saw no problem. Although, recently I took it into the dealer
and told them the noise might be related to the Vanos. The report says
that they verified the noise was the front vanos. There was a CEL that came up when they
hooked the car up to the autologic. They also felt a vibration in the vanos lines and
ran a bleed procedure 4 times. Retested for a CEL. Ran the procedure again. Cold started and
no more noise. This is word for word. Hopefully this stops the noise.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
2008 with 23k miles. I've probably had the car a
little more than a month. There has been an intermittent buzzing noise
coming from the left side of the engine. I had no CEL and the car
felt strong, so I saw no problem. Although, recently I took it into the dealer
and told them the noise might be related to the Vanos. The report says
that they verified the noise was the front vanos. There was a CEL that came up when they
hooked the car up to the autologic. They also felt a vibration in the vanos lines and
ran a bleed procedure 4 times. Retested for a CEL. Ran the procedure again. Cold started and
no more noise. This is word for word. Hopefully this stops the noise.
my 08 is giving me the same symptoms...in the shop now...getting bled today (hopefully not to *****:3:)...http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/171238-please-help-identify-sound.html

·
Registered
534 Posts
no problems

·
Registered
12 Posts

47K miles

No problem yet but...........I sometimes go 2 or 3 weeks between driving it, and occasionally after a restart i get the dreaded VANOS noise. Only last 10 secs and then goes. Never get it when the engine starts from cold.

Just gonna drive it til it breaks!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
2006 M5, 97000km (60000 miles), 3 out of 4 vanos magnets (what they called them) replaced a few weeks ago. No errors on dash, came up during regular maintenance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts