BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pulling an 07 and b8 code recently on the car. The 07 is for the intake camshaft positioning sensor which I am ordering both this week. The b8, intake camshaft 1 vanos position control, is the one that has me worried.Could it be thrown by the 07 code or do I have further worries.
Thanks

·
Registered
732 Posts
I would repair the issues at hand and see if they correct themselves. You have to think of it this way, if your CPS is acting up and your vanos is trying to counter act the CPS when it re-tards or advances timing, it would throw a code.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I had the exact same this summer.

The second code is a result of the first. The 07 tells you the sensor is whacked and the B8 is saying the cam is in the wrong place (because the sensor is whacked). If you have B8 without 07, most likely the culprit is the Vanos Solenoid. I recommend replacing both intake sensors at the same time. PITA, but since you are in there it make sense. Some folks do the exhaust sensors at the same time.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I had the exact same this summer.

The second code is a result of the first. The 07 tells you the sensor is whacked and the B8 is saying the cam is in the wrong place (because the sensor is whacked). If you have B8 without 07, most likely the culprit is the Vanos Solenoid. I recommend replacing both intake sensors at the same time. PITA, but since you are in there it make sense. Some folks do the exhaust sensors at the same time.
Thats what I did, since you took the time to get under, or over depending on your approach, and have all the tools out, you might as well get fresh ones in there.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
another thing to consider- if your CPS are older type, (search threads for DIY replacement for comparo pictures of old and new) you really should consider doing both banks at same time, and its such an ugly job you might want to only prepare mentally once.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I was feeling the sensor was throwing the vanos code. I will be ordering both intake cps and if cash allows the exhaust too.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Thanks all. I was feeling the sensor was throwing the vanos code. I will be ordering both intake cps and if cash allows the exhaust too.

There are several DIY's but having done it three times now, I think going from underneath the car is the easiest for the intakes. The exhaust sensors don't have any brackets in the way as I remember and should be really easy and if can swing the extra $200 for the sensors, do it. Getting the wire loom support brackets back in can be a PITA the first time. Make sure the bolts securing the brackets are the ones you took out. If a longer bolt is used, you can damage the water jacket cover on the back of the head and have a coolant leak. And then you get to wait weeks for that part to arrive from Germany.grrrrrrr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts