BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my M5 at the dealership for the all too common VANOS failure (vehicle went to limp home mode, increased emissions warning, rpm limited, etc.). There are no indications that the VANOS pump is bad and all diagnosis points to the high pressure line. But should I have the solenoids replaced while the tech is in the vicinity? I have 77K miles on the odometer of my 07 M5. This is the first time I have had any problems with the VANOS.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I would suggest you get your rod bearings replaced since the oil pan will be off. Solenoids can be done anytime and is not labor intensive compared to the vanos line. They have to run a vanos bleed after line replacement anyway and in the same area of the diagnostic software is the vanos solenoid test. They can run that too to see solenoids are below .60.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would suggest you get your rod bearings replaced since the oil pan will be off. Solenoids can be done anytime and is not labor intensive compared to the vanos line. They have to run a vanos bleed after line replacement anyway and in the same area of the diagnostic software is the vanos solenoid test. They can run that too to see solenoids are below .60.
Soleniods are easy to replace. Get your oil pump replaced.
If I was only that lucky!

It turned out that I turned a crankshaft bearing(s) and I am having the motor replaced ouich. But on a good note. I paid the core charge of $500 for the original motor and eventually (probably close to the expiration of the two year unlimited mileage warranty on the new lump) it'll be on its way to Dinan for a bore and stroke to 5.8 litres, and capable of 611 hp output. That's after I get over the fact that I actually had to replace the motor at less than 100K miles!

The love of M5s can be very addicting and very expensive :M5launch:.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spun bearings usually take out the vanos pump. The race in the pump warps, causing it to lose pressure.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Troy JEUP,

I am exploring options of what to do now that I have had the original engine in my M5 replaced. I can buy the original engine back from the dealership by paying the $500 core charge.

Do you rebuild these engines? Would you be interested in buying the original engine from me?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Troy JEUP,

I am exploring options of what to do now that I have had the original engine in my M5 replaced. I can buy the original engine back from the dealership by paying the $500 core charge.

Do you rebuild these engines? Would you be interested in buying the original engine from me?
I'll give you double that today. :p

I have a project that needs a core and will have to replace the entire rotating assembly anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts