BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Sadly when I started my car this morning I received a Service Engine Soon light and under the Drive screen it said something about increased emissions. I have ISTA so I pulled the code and it was code 271A, Vanos Control, intake bank 1. When you click on the details it says actual value too high, major leak possible. Where should I begin with this? I have already read through numerous pages of information on this code and the answers range from high pressure vanos line, to vanos solenoids, to vanos pump... My car does have an extended warranty so I am going to try to use that, but I am aware that most BMW dealers are not familiar with the E60 M5, so I don't want them to just start throwing parts at it. I want to narrow down what it is the best I can before I let them talk me into anything. So what is my next step? Run a VANOS pressure test? Should i clear the code and see if it comes back? Is it safe to drive? Let me know what you think as i'd like to get the ball rolling on my course of action. Sadly if it is the vanos pump or pressure line, BMW probably wouldn't agree to changing the rod bearings while they are inside. My car is a 2006 with 36,000 miles btw. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I'd start by first swapping the intake cam sensor bank to bank, clearing the code and seeing if comes back. If it does I'd then switch vanos solenoids intake to exhaust and see if it moved. If either of those cause to move it's the sensor or solenoid respectfully. If it doesn't move I'd start looking at oil pressure and vanos units.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I drove my car to the gas station to fill up as I planned on bringing it to the dealer tomorrow, and after filling the tank and restarting the car, the Service Engine Soon light went away? I tried to pull the codes again and it didn't come back... Do you think it was a fluke? I tried to run the Vanos ventilation procedure on ISTA-D, but once it gets to the screen where its reading the coolant temp I keep getting an error "IFH-0006: COMMAND NOT ACCEPTED" and my coolant temp won't read, so it won't allow me to run the procedure.... any ideas on how to fix that error? Im pretty new to ISTA so I'm doing my best to fix things myself within my ability. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: code returned after about a week. Seems to only come back when the car sits for a few days and its been pretty cold outside (32 deg f). After driving the car for a little and restarting the code goes away. I managed to get ISTA-D to work properly and performed the vanos ventilation procedure and vanos test. 3 of the solenoids tested bad, including the one for the intake bank 1 solenoid... do you think that is the reason for the error code? I ran the other vanos test and everything tested OK. ill attach pictures of the test. Any advice would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brought my car to BMW after confirming 3/4 vanos solenoids were testing bad. They replaced all 4 of them and the code has remained off since, hopefully it stays this way. Normally the error only happens on a cold start after sitting for a few days, so I am going to replicate that and see what happens, but as of now I am happy. Less audible vanos noise as well too now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, I guess I spoke too soon. Started my car up this afternoon and the same error code came back: 271A. Ran the vanos test procedure and all 4 of the vanos solenoids tested good (all between 0.7-0.8 valve quality, which seems low for supposedly brand new solenoids), but technically no faults with them... called bmw and are bringing her back in tomorrow for them to take a look. Going to recommend to them to check the vanos pressure... maybe a new hp line or pump? I guess ill have to see what they say.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally they replaced all 4 vanos solenoids, that didn’t fix the problem, so next I assume it’s going to be the high pressure vanos line, or vanos pump... other then that I’m not sure what it could be

·
Registered
34 Posts
what year and how many miles are on your car? never mind i see you've already said it's a 2006 with 36k. Seems like very low miles for vanos an I am sure you can negotiate a new bearing into the deal also.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Originally they replaced all 4 vanos solenoids, that didn’t fix the problem, so next I assume it’s going to be the high pressure vanos line, or vanos pump... other then that I’m not sure what it could be
Just curious how much was this bill from the dealer? Throwing vanos solenoids at the problem is kinda cost prohibited right now?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well 3 out of the 4 solenoids tested bad on ISTA-D, so it wasnt exactly throwing parts at it, it seemed like a probable cause for the error... either way they needed replaced. The bill for the solenoids + install was roughly $7000 but my warranty covered them thankfully.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well 3 out of the 4 solenoids tested bad on ISTA-D, so it wasnt exactly throwing parts at it, it seemed like a probable cause for the error... either way they needed replaced. The bill for the solenoids + install was roughly $7000 but my warranty covered them thankfully.
I bet if you did not have a warranty then you would be one sour dude. Because if the solenoid did not fix the problem, even though they "tested" bad, I would say they could of lasted much longer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I didn’t have a warranty, I wouldn’t have been at the dealer in the first place lol I would’ve been trouble shooting myself!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BMW diagnosed it as a bad vanos pump now, so they are going to replace that this week, hopefully should have my car back on Wednesday. Fingers crossed that fixes the issue!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts