BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, i really need your help.

the car is an M6 convertible, late 2007 model , manual gearbox, fewer than 37400 miles on it.
mods: Dinan throttle valves, Dinan CF air intake, eisenmann exhaust system and akrapovic midpipes.

I am having problems with the vanos that we're not able to solve for a while and its getting annoying.

A year ago i changed both idle actuators

After 2 months, i changed the vanos high pressure oil pump

Drove the car for 1000 km/625miles and got into an accident at the race track, i hit a wall at the driver side rear fender. i took it to the mechanic where he changed the differential, suspension (kw coilovers), BBS rims, front steering rack. and of course a lot of dents and other work. it took them 5 months to finish the car. (the engine was never turned on in the 5 months)

After everything was done. the mechanic turned the car on. and got many vanos faults that came right away after deleting all the faults several times.

He changed 4 vanos solenoids and all the faults were gone apart from 2 faults ( that i will do anything to fix ) 271b-vanos control, exhaust bank 1 and 271A- vanos control, intake bank 1. the car cold starts fine, after 30 sec to 1 min it goes into limp mode and from then even when the car is warm it still goes into limp mode with engine malfunction.

So the mechanic changed the vanos accumulator, actuator of bank 1, oil lines inner and outer. BUT nothing changed same 2 faults stayed. Even after bleeding the system.

So we decided to swap the ionic control unit, camshaft sensors from bank 2 to bank 1. STILL the same faults remained on bank 1

Oil pressure shows 70 BAR constant without any fluctuation.

We checked the timing of bank 1. and everything looks OK.

As you can see i have no idea what else we could do to fix the problem, its driving me crazy.

here are shots from the diagnostic (ICOM) of the faults that i am getting with details.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
The screenshots of valve quality, are those before or after replacement?

Have the VANOS position sensors been checked/replaced?

What are the results of the VANOS system test after all other faults being cleared out? Some people have had to run the VANOS ventilation procedure more than once for it to fully bleed the system.

But, given the Min Stop not OK, I would suspect a sensor. That kind of impact could have jarred all sorts of electrical connections and components.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all the screenshots are after replacement.

and i get the exam same fault codes every time i clear out all the faults

i have ran the ventilation process many times, but still its always the same results

are you referring to the camshaft sensors by saying VANOS position sensor. If yes then i have swapped them from bank 2 to bank 1 since there are no faults on bank 2 and still i get the same faults.

Is 70 BAR the right pressure for the oil pump ??

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
If you are unable to clear the codes, something else is going on.

What version of ISTA are you using and is the ICOM a BMW OEM or a Chinese clone?

The errors in your screenshots for bank 1 exhaust (second pic) show the error is still present. I can understand why that won't clear.

But, the third pic, the bank 1 intake (code 271A) is just strange. It shows the previous and current error as being too low and too high respectively, but neither fault currently present.

The solenoids which were replaced, were they new or used? Were the o-rings reused from the old solenoids?

Something would seem to be dragging or sluggish in the response of the bank 1 intake as it was both too high and too low with the same kilometer reading, yet clear now.

I would first focus on the ICOM/ISTA deal and figure out why you can't reset the other codes. Once you successfully clear all the codes and restart the car, the currently present error codes will recorded and can be read out by ISTA again. ISTA will then be able to calculate a test plan which makes sense for your problems. Right now, it looks as if all the previous errors are causing symptom confusion and it may not be guiding you in the right direction.

I do agree though, if you run the VANOS test and the solenoids are reading "Not OK", I would suspect them as well.

Are you doing the labor yourself or your shop? If a shop, do you have faith in them that they were properly replaced with new solenoids?

Sorry for all the questions, but just trying to get more info to assist.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
About the parts the mechanic tells me what parts i need and i get them from ecstuning.com. All parts are brand new

I got 4 new solenoids with 4 new seals at the beginning. Most of the faults cleared out apart from the 2 faults 271b and 271a, so he asked me the get the actuator bank 1 and it came with it 2 new solenoids.

The faults are always getting cleared out. as soon as you turn the car on it works fine without any fault codes, but around 20 sec to 30 sec it enters limp mode and the rev increases. and then goes down to normal like i feel like its working like it normally should but its still in limp mode at 4500 rpm. and when you look at the actual values of the solenoids, you see the intake at around 140 and the exhaust at around 120 and at any moment you see either the intake or exhaust drops at around 80 but not at the same time.

when you keep the car on. after some time the exhaust starts doing the same thing as the intake. then lets just say after 3 min the intake drops to around 80 range and then goes back up to around 140 range. and then 2 min or 4 min (time interval is never fixed) later the exhaust drops goes to the 80 ranges and then back to 120 ranges.

the time intervals are not stable it occurs any time in minutes. and also for example intake can occur many times without exhaust occurring and vice versa.

but they NEVER occur at the same time.

i hope you understand what is happening if not i will try to explain it to you in a better way.

·
Registered
125 Posts
About the parts the mechanic tells me what parts i need and i get them from ecstuning.com. All parts are brand new

I got 4 new solenoids with 4 new seals at the beginning. Most of the faults cleared out apart from the 2 faults 271b and 271a, so he asked me the get the actuator bank 1 and it came with it 2 new solenoids.

The faults are always getting cleared out. as soon as you turn the car on it works fine without any fault codes, but around 20 sec to 30 sec it enters limp mode and the rev increases. and then goes down to normal like i feel like its working like it normally should but its still in limp mode at 4500 rpm. and when you look at the actual values of the solenoids, you see the intake at around 140 and the exhaust at around 120 and at any moment you see either the intake or exhaust drops at around 80 but not at the same time.

when you keep the car on. after some time the exhaust starts doing the same thing as the intake. then lets just say after 3 min the intake drops to around 80 range and then goes back up to around 140 range. and then 2 min or 4 min (time interval is never fixed) later the exhaust drops goes to the 80 ranges and then back to 120 ranges.

the time intervals are not stable it occurs any time in minutes. and also for example intake can occur many times without exhaust occurring and vice versa.

but they NEVER occur at the same time.

i hope you understand what is happening if not i will try to explain it to you in a better way.
Did you ever figure this out?

·
Registered
2007 BMW M6 Convertible
54 Posts
Please let us know what the issue was, or if you've fixed it.

My car is doing the EXACT same thing and it's driving me crazy!! Lol 🤪

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everybody.

Greetings from Spain, perhaps this is not the most appropriate post to introduce myself ... sorry.

I own a 2005 BMW M5 E60 V10 that has never given me a fault.
After a while in which I have not been able to use it the car has started to fail and does exactly the same as what has been said in this discussion. The same errors in diagnosis and exactly the same, in bank 1.

I have taken it to several workshops and they have changed solenoids, camshaft sensors, vanos lines and vanos accumulator, everything remains the same, the vanos pressure is ok.

Somebody could help me? I would be eternally grateful.

I think the creator of this post has not told the solution.

I hope someone can help me and I apologize for my bad English.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
You need to scan for own car for codes, copy them, delete them and start the car and then scan again and post them here, don't compare your car with others, don't take what is suggested in a thread and apply it to your car because you may have different cause. The failure in this thread primarily has nothing to do with Vanos system.
Give us a brief description of you car issue.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hello everybody.

Greetings from Spain, perhaps this is not the most appropriate post to introduce myself ... sorry.

I own a 2005 BMW M5 E60 V10 that has never given me a fault.
After a while in which I have not been able to use it the car has started to fail and does exactly the same as what has been said in this discussion. The same errors in diagnosis and exactly the same, in bank 1.

I have taken it to several workshops and they have changed solenoids, camshaft sensors, vanos lines and vanos accumulator, everything remains the same, the vanos pressure is ok.

Somebody could help me? I would be eternally grateful.

I think the creator of this post has not told the solution.

I hope someone can help me and I apologize for my bad English.
If you're anywhere near Barcelona I'd highly recommend Riera Racing
They really helped me out when I was on holiday in Andorra, changed a clutch and failed slave cylinder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You need to scan for own car for codes, copy them, delete them and start the car and then scan again and post them here, don't compare your car with others, don't take what is suggested in a thread and apply it to your car because you may have different cause. The failure in this thread primarily has nothing to do with Vanos system.
Give us a brief description of you car issue.
It does everything exactly the same as what is said in this post.

The car starts perfectly, cold after being on for about 30 or 50 seconds when it begins to decrease the rpm it begins to fail, in the plenum of bank 1 you hear some detonations on admission and it goes into limp mode. It throws error codes 271A and 271B, bank 1 intake and exhaust vanos control. Once it has warmed up a bit, the idle is not very stable and fails.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Any history, how this problem started, the car was fine and all of the sudden started behaving like that?.
The replaced Vanos solenoids new/used/original/after market?
Have you tried to swap solenoids between bank 1 and bank 2?.
When the shop checked Vanos pressure, did they isolate bank 1 from bank 2?.
Did you confirm the connectors fitted to the right solenoid?.
Do you have ISTA/INPA to diagnose? to show faults details, are there any other faults in the DME?.
Can you show a video of the issue so members here can give better advice?.
Are you going to work on this issue yourself?.
It is hard to give an online fix only from the information you provided, brief explanation of this faults is the Vanos solenoid didn't response correctly to DME command or is not set as the DME expect, to know the reason it require multiple checks. From what you provided, if pressure, wiring, timing, camshaft sensors are OK then it's the solenoids. The only left in the system is the Vanos actuator but from forum experience it never failed, what is the mileage on the car?.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any history, how this problem started, the car was fine and all of the sudden started behaving like that?.
Have you tried to swap solenoids between bank 1 and bank 2?.
When the shop checked Vanos pressure, did they isolate bank 1 from bank 2?.
Did you confirm the connectors fitted to the right solenoid?.
Do you have ISTA/INPA to diagnose? to show faults details, are there any other faults in the DME?.
Can you show a video of the issue so members here can give better advice?.
Are you going to work on this issue yourself?.
It is hard to give an online fix only from the information you provided, brief explanation of this faults is the Vanos solenoid didn't response correctly to DME command or is not set as the DME expect, to know the reason it require multiple checks. From what you provided, if pressure, wiring, timing, camshaft sensors are OK then it's the solenoids. The only left in the system is the Vanos actuator but from forum experience it never failed, what is the mileage on the car?.
I will answer everything to give more information.

Any history, how this problem started, the car was fine and all of the sudden started behaving like that?
It all started after being unused for two months.

They are used and checked by the official seller.

Have you tried to swap solenoids between bank 1 and bank 2?
This I did today but I have not been able to finish the work, tomorrow I will finish and explain the result here.

When the shop checked Vanos pressure, did they isolate bank 1 from bank 2?
The shop doesn't know how it did it, but I did the test isolating the two banks. The pressure is correct in both without oscillations.

Did you confirm the connectors fitted to the right solenoid?
Yes, they are correct and the wiring has been replaced by another.

Do you have ISTA/INPA to diagnose? to show faults details, are there any other faults in the DME?
Yes, I have inpa, as soon as I can upload some screenshots that I have been able to take. Besides the mentioned faults it also gives misfire in all the cylinders of bank 1, 1-5, surely it is due to the problem of vanos, the coils are all new.

Can you show a video of the issue so members here can give better advice?
Tomorrow i will make a video.

Are you going to work on this issue yourself?
Yes, I am a mechanic of heavy machinery and public works, I do not have experience in automotive but I have extensive knowledge of general mechanics, I hope to solve the problem with the help of all.

Today I have also checked the openings filters, and they were clean, I have exchanged the camshaft sensors of both banks with the same result.

Thanks for the help, I hope to come up with a solution soon with everyone's help.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
The shop doesn't know how it did it, but I did the test isolating the two banks. The pressure is correct in both without oscillations.
So leak isn't the issue here, just the solenoids acted dead and didn't start to move to retard and advance after the cold start. Measure resistance and compare it with the other working solenoids on bank 2, swap the ionic module if issue didn't follow to bank 2.
Yes, I have inpa, as soon as I can upload some screenshots that I have been able to take. Besides the mentioned faults it also gives misfire in all the cylinders of bank 1, 1-5, surely it is due to the problem of vanos, the coils are all new.
Post the fault from DME, When you view status page Analog I/O 3 does the values change when press the gas pedal, post an image of the values on Idle and when engine stopped, also include in the video combustion quality page.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Today I have exchanged the vanos solenoids and the problem persists in bank 1, therefore the solenoids I assume are in good condition. The ionic modules have already been exchanged before and and the problem remains the same in the same bank 1.

I attach some screenshots of the inpa fault codes and the reading of the position of the spans where you can see the problem in bank 1. The vanos values in bank 1 do not move even though I press the throttle, DME detecting the fault deactivates bank 1.

I made a video but the failure is not appreciated in it so I will not upload it.

Font Number Paper Paper product Document

Font Material property Pattern Parallel Paper

Font Parallel Screenshot Terrestrial plant Rectangle

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Today I have exchanged the vanos solenoids and the problem persists in bank 1
You need to bleed the Vanos sytem after solenoids removal/installation, have any of the shop ever performed ventilation of Vanos as they diagnosed the issue?.
Unfortunately INPA won't do it, you either need ISTA or DIS. Better to bleed it 3 times to make sure the system bled well, if the failure prevented ventilation then this something else.

Just show the video especially DME>Status>Analog>I/O 3, you need to scroll down the page to show other values.

The last image you posted was not necessary to show, it used to drive the solenoid manually to see the response, have you tried to continue this test.

To download ISTA visit bimmergeek.com.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts