BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is an 11/99 production so it has all of the maladies, including the VANOS solenoids most recently. I'm taking them out to do a full restore, resoldering the boards, new seals, and retrofitting the new-style covers with the set screws.

The covers themselves are already ~$100 each, but then I looked at the cost of the set screws ("grub screws" according to BMW) and it got even more ridiculous -- $6 each, and there's 8 of them!!!

Anyone know what the specs of the screws (diameter, thread, and pitch) -- I'm sure we can source this elsewhere from a tenth of the cost!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
The covers are easy to modify if you have a drill press or a milling machine. I probably wouldn't try it with a hand drill. I modded my covers a couple years ago. The screw spec is M12 x 1.25 thread with 12mm screw length. I got the screws from McMaster Carr. The OEM screws have a dab of loctite/sealant on the thread is the only difference. I simply put some blue loctite on the threads as I installed them and they are still tight.

I'll modify your existing covers for $40 each plus return shipping if you are interested. That covers the modification and the screws.

This is what they look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
813 Posts
My car is an 11/99 production so it has all of the maladies, including the VANOS solenoids most recently. I'm taking them out to do a full restore, resoldering the boards, new seals, and retrofitting the new-style covers with the set screws.

The covers themselves are already ~$100 each, but then I looked at the cost of the set screws ("grub screws" according to BMW) and it got even more ridiculous -- $6 each, and there's 8 of them!!!

Anyone know what the specs of the screws (diameter, thread, and pitch) -- I'm sure we can source this elsewhere from a tenth of the cost!
Is this useful ?

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/201120-vanos-cover-set-screw-modification.html

·
Registered
74 Posts
Spare cover & screws to sell if you r interested

I have 1 extra cover & (3 r 4) screws to sell if you are interested.
Please pm me.
I attempted to do the solenoid seal refresh and bought new cover & screws (long story) thus extra available.
My model year is 2002 so the updated version.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts