·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. Launch ISTA/D from launch pad

2. Do Display and read data from the car

3. Vehicle info should be displayed as follows

4. Click through all circled tabs from the top to bottom in sequence

5. Continue toggling on more tabs and you should be able to get to VANOS Control, cylinder bank 1/2 and toggle on the same, 'ABL VANOS control, cyliner bank 1/2', on the right column and click on Display

6. Come to the next screen, toggle on Continue test module, click on Next

7. Keep on clicking Next

8. Choose 'Bleed VANOS system' and click on Next. You might be informed that you need to start the car and let it idle before the bleeding can start. Please do that.

9. Keep on clicking Next

10. Informational screen, keep on clicking Next

11. Check option 1, Bleed VANOS system, and click on Next

12. If this is a code start, like the one I have, you might need to let the car idle a little bit in order to raise the coolant temperature

more

13. Bleeding procedure starts

14. Once the procedure is started, do not do anything to interrupt. just wait

15. In the end, you should see the indication that the bleeding procedure is completed. Click on Next

16. Start VANOS test as option 2

At the end of this step, you should be able to get the readings for your intake and exhaust valves on both bank 1(passenger side) and bank 2(driver side) side.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi sorry to bump this older thread up but I'm having trouble with this guide. I get to step 8 but I do not see Bleed Vanos System on that list. I am running ISTA/D 4.10. I'll attach a photo of what I see on my end.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can't access the attached image.
Sorry idk what happened. Pretty much the photo is identical to step 8 of this guide but on my end it shows:

VANOS system test
Specified VANOS setpoint
Delete VANOS adaptations
End test module with feedback

It does not show Bleed VANOS system like the photo. I don't know where it's located but I can't find any information online on how to bleed the VANOS system without ISTA.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Have you tried either of the following:

1. Go into any of those items and see where they take you? If you go into SYSTEM Test you might find the bleed, no?
2. DO a search on VANOS bleed in the text search?
3. Go through the Component structure tab to see if that takes you to where your VANOS bleed is located?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you tried either of the following:

1. Go into any of those items and see where they take you? If you go into SYSTEM Test you might find the bleed, no?
2. DO a search on VANOS bleed in the text search?
3. Go through the Component structure tab to see if that takes you to where your VANOS bleed is located?
I've done all the tests except reset VANOS adaptations as I don't know if that's a good thing to do. But on the other tests it doesn't say anything about bleeding the VANOS, just end service function. I just did a search for VANOS and nothing pops up, VANOS bleed doesn't have any results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You have to go to Service Functions. That's where the VANOS Bleed is stored at. It's not located under Troubleshooting for ISTA v4.10
Do you know where exactly? I just looked through the whole Service Functions list and I don't see Valve Gear or VANOS as an option anywhere on that list.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts