BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought that I would post some in progress pics of my car currently having the first set of VM variant II manifolds being fitted.

Before anything was done Johannes gave my car a really good going over once I got it to CPC. My beast is a 2002 model with 46,600 miles on the clock. Within the last 6 months it went to BMW for an Inspection II and I had the nearside Vanos unit replaced due to a noise on start-up. I was feeling confident that my car would be in fine fettle. Investigation work revealed that both Vanos units were not timed correctly, and were just slightly out. Before having the stock dyno done, I wanted the car to be as good as possible so the Vanos timing was reset correctly.

Vanos timing out

Vanos timing corrected

Unfortunately it was also discovered that my oem cats were not 100%. Probably due to low mileage and the car originating from London until I bought it three and a half years ago. New cats are to be fitted.

After this it was time for a dyno run. I had no idea what my car would put out, so was actually expecting to be about 385-390bhp, especially with cats that were not 100%. These are the results:

VM variant II manifolds and cats

thanks for looking

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Alex - I have not followed the VM build thread, but what was the difference between Variant I and II?

Looks great.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First one is HP-AFR-flywheel

Second one is HP-TQ-flywheel

Third one is HP-TQ-wheel hp

Will find out the different between variant I and II

cheers

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stock manifolds/headers and stock cats

cheers

·
1,934 Posts
I believe it's stock, as I understand from the OP the headers are still being fitted.

Johannes has done a complete rework of the headers to produce this version, I understand, though it would probably be better if he explained the differences because they are legion and I'll miss something. But I believe there's more power, more torque, a better curve and a better physical fit.

Probably.

YG

Reactions: 100%Cocoa

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but when I just used a piece of string and measured up the pipes, they all seemed equal length ! hiha

I am not jealous, one bit, Alex ! :crying2:

·
1,934 Posts
Congrats, Alex. Looks like you had a good one there already...

Cheers,

YG

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts

I have never ever seen an AFR so flat from a stock car! When these cars are made to run like this they do produce more power.
The only time I have seen this is from cars which are mapped to run like that where the full throttle fuel map is massively altered to look flat! This means leaning off at high rpm's.
Please check the car has stock software. I know of a few cars that were tuned like this and blew their headgaskets or burnt exhaust valves under hard driving.
Also, what power did the car make on the previous 9 runs?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
they do look, i wonder if VM will be offering ceramic coating options like zircotec's etc., different colors etc., that would be cool.
As the Burger King Advert went : "You want it, you got it....." ;)

When is the 3rd Supercharged M5, in the UK, going live mate ?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

I have never ever seen an AFR so flat from a stock car! When these cars are made to run like this they do produce more power.
The only time I have seen this is from cars which are mapped to run like that where the full throttle fuel map is massively altered to look flat! This means leaning off at high rpm's.
Please check the car has stock software. I know of a few cars that were tuned like this and blew their headgaskets or burnt exhaust valves under hard driving.
Also, what power did the car make on the previous 9 runs?
My car was mapped earlier this year by Simon from Emaps (let's say at most an extra 10bhp gain!?!), which was how we found out that there was a Vanos/chain problem which led to my nearside Vanos unit being replaced.

Looking at the AFR then the lower the number, the richer the car is running (so to speak) which means that there is less air to fuel. If it was above 14.7 I would agree with you that it was runnng lean. The line is flat because the ecu is trying to keep the air/fuel ratio at a constant, so the flatter the line the better the car is running.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Manifolds and cats are fitted and the car is running and Johannes is very happy after a few test drives. Due to the bad weather the next dyno run will not be done until after the weekend which may mean I have to wait until 2011 to get the car back as I am at work between Christmas and new year :-(

Fingers crossed I can somehow get it back before Christmas! Would be a great present!

cheers

·
Registered
424 Posts
Pricing on these headers? They look great!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Manifolds and cats are fitted and the car is running and Johannes is very happy after a few test drives. Due to the bad weather the next dyno run will not be done until after the weekend which may mean I have to wait until 2011 to get the car back as I am at work between Christmas and new year :-(

Fingers crossed I can somehow get it back before Christmas! Would be a great present!

cheers
GREAT !!! :M5rev::M5launch:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
looks great Zarnd..:flag:

waiting on the results between the two set ups, then i'm ready too order myself:happybirt

keeps us updated please.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts