BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, finally I'm at the point where the valve covers should come off. All the bolts are undone, I can see the oily mess, and I can't wait to get them off, clean things up, and fit new gaskets.

But how? They might as well still be bolted on. I've tugged, given a light whack with a hammer and block, taken the oil cap off and tugged from underneath, and finally, cursed to high heaven. ouich

What to do here? Is there a knack to removing these bad boys?

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I HAVEN'T done it on an M5, but I have done it on many other cars.

Some are [email protected] difficult to remove ... not news to you, I guess.

I can only suggest what I would try. Find a piece of metal (not soft enough to bend) that will fit inside one of the bolt holes (I keep odd pieces like that when I run across them). A round piece would be ideal.

Stick it in the hole, and move it sideways ... as in back and forth ... trying to "tip" the cover to start its removal (don't use a screwdriver to try to lift it, or you may always have a leak there). And, pray. If you are lucky, it may break loose.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I was going to suggest a few light taps with a rubber mallet. Glad you got it. New fasteners may be in order, if the rubber parts are oil soaked/dry rotted.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
In the end the only thing I could do was to use a large flat screwdriver, but rather than levering like a caveman, I was able to twist it carefully in a few places, which broke the seal.

Never easy, is it? :)
GOOD ... It's just like retracting brake pistons ... never use a screwdriver ... I use a piece of wood shingle to protect the piston.

And, NO, it is never easy when you expect it to be. Just ask my wife ... 4 days after I started a 1 hour job (at most), two different fixtures later, and many trips to Home Depot, I was able to complete the installation of a new kitchen light fixture for her. Everything that looked like it was going to be easy, turned out to be difficult to execute. That was just two weeks ago.

I prefer working on cars, thank you!

·
Registered
723 Posts
they are definitely a ***** to get off. I can sympathize having done this. I just grabbed them with both hands and rocked them back and forth a for about 5 mins (shaking the whole car) until the seal started giving away.

Had the same problem last week with my brother's 540iT.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Looks like you got it. I posted something a while back on the whole DYI instruction. Do a search. What I did was certainly rock back and forth for a while, it eventually gives up. Tough mother to get off for sure.

Be careful with the half circles, they don't go back easy. Also, remember to use the silicon at 6 different places - half circles, and the vano joint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts