BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I own a beautiful 2000 M5. Euro delivery car, 203 K miles. Here are the details.

203 K miles.Owned since 40K miles. Euro import, 1 of 100 or so ( I am told) made with complete leather. Sports seats. Ground control suspension. Stop Tech rotors, drilled slotted. Rogue shifter. K&N filters. Borla exhaust. Engine just resealed, new lower oil pan. Genuine Hella 2003 headlights. Major tune every 60-70K miles. Castrol genuine 10-60 every 5K miles, car does not smoke or burn oil. M5 trunk mat. Modern Gen 4 nav computer, integrated Sirius radio, about ti install blue bus integrated blue tooth system. Brand new clutch 1K miles ago, which tells you how kind I am to the car. Original lasted over 200K miles. Rial racing Daytona 3 piece wheels, freshly powder coated and re chromed. Needs nothing. The seats for me are not comfy. Even with a gel pad, my wife has similar issues, so it needs a new home.

Here is the decoder info : https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/bz97163

Here is a video of the car.

Front bumper resprayed about 2 years ago, still in excellent condition.

What is the value if this car please? Many thanks.

Dan

[email protected] if interested. The car is in SW Florida.

Registered
I'd guess +/-$13k-ish, with things like Vanos, rod bearings, and timing chain/guide conditions being the largest variables. Also, a 2000 with 200k miles that doesn't burn any oil? Sorry but that one would defy the laws of physics! 馃檭

Registered
Depends a lot on the potential buyers at the time you sell it. Could be $10k, could be $13k. Great condition and records will certainly help. The color, year and mileage will be detrimental to the value. Guys aren't afraid of the mileage, they just don't want to pay a lot for a higher mileage car.

Good luck!

Registered
I think ~$13k is reasonable. Lots of maintenance and care by the looks of it.

With the long term ownership you might even get more. Check out the prior Bring a Trailer listings for reference.

Registered
160k miles and finally decide seats not comfy enough to keep? If that is the only issue, I would investigate either getting the internal padding redone or getting some comfort seats and having a shop try to match up the leather. I am guessing you will spend about $1500 for or so for comfort depending on whether you can find seats locally or have to ship ($$$$). I would guess around $300 for redoing the padding internally.

As to remainder, the car looks very nice to me (personally not a fan of the sport interior, but that is just me). Some maintenance issues that may be coming due as noted above should be addressed so the potential buyer knows what to expect. People buy the person as much as the car.

I have seen prices all over the place on BaT. High miles here will hurt you unless you can show lots of service so nothing to worry about. It is very interactive with potential buyers and tire kickers. Then you have to hope for a bit of a bidding war. But I can't see getting more than $15k on BaT based on past sales.

Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: KevinM

Registered
It's priceless...to you. Seriously, consider throwing some moth balls in it and hooking it up to a battery tender. I think you will regret letting this go for market value.

Of course, I'm biased. That is what I am doing with mine, but it only has 98K miles on it. After 16 years, it is worth more to me than the selling price. I drive it once per month, and it still brings a smile to my face.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. Truth be told, the seats have been an issue for 5-6 years, and I am just ready for a new daily driver.I even bought a newly covered leather Recaro C seat, to install, but never did. I always kept the maintenance up to date, have a pretty good set of records, but the car itself shows GREAT care, and is still in sparkling shape. Recently, after doing the clutch, and a bunch of major items, I have been getting annoying codes prompting me to replace items I just replaced, like every new O2 sensor and both coolant temp sensors. That just bugs the heck out of me, so it has upped my level of frustration. I have several other cars, and have promised my very tolerant wife to not add to the collection, one in, one goes out. 13K would hurt but is probably a fair price. Thank you again.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, I told my tech it was for sale, and it was gone in less than 24 hours.

Registered
Sorry you had to let it go.
So what have you looked at to replace it?
I always wonder what does an e39 m5 owner move on to.

Registered
I moved on to a RS4 that I modded out, smaller but overall an improvement, best car I have ever owned.
Those are nice, what color did you go with? I bet the awd comes in handy making the car more usable during the winter season.
What other cars did you consider besides the RS4?

Registered
I always wonder what does an e39 m5 owner move on to.
It's a very tough question; when I first started looking at them my criteria were: Family-sized sedan, RWD V8, and a manual transmission. Here is the surprisingly short but rather complete list of cars that fit that criteria, in order of my personal preference:
E39 M5
Chevrolet SS (Aka Holden Commodore)
E39 540i/6
CTS-V (stupidly difficult to find w/manual)
Dodge Charger (meh)
Runners up:
RS4 (kinda small, not really RWD)
G35/7 (Potent V6, but no V8, 4dr/manual combo isn't common)

I think the 6-speed SS/Commodore is really the only other car that I would seriously consider owning in lieu of an E39 M5.

Registered
I did not consider any other car, it happened on me. I guy was shipping out to Europe and said he needed a quick sale. It was seriously modded with turbos already and I grabbed it as a weekend car or to sell with more time.
The all wheel drive is great but it caused that car to get written off because it works so well. I rolled it in the winter because I had so much traction. It had been in storage but M5 had an issue and I had to go to a meeting so I drove it with the fall all seasons on it. It snowed and in an effort to avoid an accident in front of me I took it over a snow bank setting it on it's roof..
Bought another one and took the parts off the first one and built it much better.
The color is this crappy silvery grey color so it is wrapped. That is the main flaw with that model, bad colors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts