BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My understanding is that a lot of people prefer the black cluster, however (call it nostalgia) I love the grey cluster and have loved it since I was a kid.

Just picked up a grey one pretty cheap and have all the equipment to virginize it for my car.

I won't really have a use for the black one aside from keeping the car original and complete, but I know a lot of people want it more than I do.

What do you guys think a virginized black cluster would go for? A premium over a grey one?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve got a gray one in my 540it but I’ll also have a black one from a M5 Donor I’m parting out- (my touring will be full M5 when I’m done) so I’ll have a spare unit soon to sell as well. Looking at EBay there are units listed for $300 and $450ish.. I’d be happy with $250ish or so. You mentioned “virginizing” it. Could you share what that takes to accomplish? Thanks

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Don't know what you paid for the gray one, but a black cluster should go for 300-400 in good condition

·
Registered
190 Posts
Huh, and here I thought the grey ones would be more sought after as 'facelift' parts, interesting! FWIW, I'm reasonably sure that you can also change just the face if you've taken the needles off (say to fix some pixels!) and retain the original back unit, thereby avoiding a need to flash VINs, mess with mileage, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve got a gray one in my 540it but I’ll also have a black one from a M5 Donor I’m parting out- (my touring will be full M5 when I’m done) so I’ll have a spare unit soon to sell as well. Looking at EBay there are units listed for $300 and $450ish.. I’d be happy with $250ish or so. You mentioned “virginizing” it. Could you share what that takes to accomplish? Thanks
I'm not 100% sure (I come from the E46/E30 world) but there's a couple lackluster tutorials on some other forums I'm going to piece together when I do it.

The gist is that you need to safely remove the needles and remove some epoxy to get to the M35080 chip (or equivalent) and you need to desolder it and place the chip into a programmer (about $35 online) and read all the data. You then open the file and change the hex that dictates VIN and mileage, and either erase the original chip and reflash it (not clear on the erasing part yet) or buy a new chip (very cheap) all together. I believe then you can just plug it in and it will download VIN and mileage from the LCM! If not, it may need some NCSExpert work.

Don't know what you paid for the gray one, but a black cluster should go for 300-400 in good condition
Got it cheaper locally, still need to test it! Good to know I will get my money or more back when I do the swap.

Huh, and here I thought the grey ones would be more sought after as 'facelift' parts, interesting! FWIW, I'm reasonably sure that you can also change just the face if you've taken the needles off (say to fix some pixels!) and retain the original back unit, thereby avoiding a need to flash VINs, mess with mileage, etc.
I keep forgetting I can do that... I might do that in the meantime and I hunger for those grey dials.

The major motivation is that I have I believe everything I need to virginize a cluster so I could do that to the black one I sell to make it even more profitable.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If you decide to sell, I might be interested depending on the price. PM me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts