BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this might be an unusual question, nonetheless it's something that I have been wondering......as a new owner of an M6 I am finding myself hesitant to take advantage of having my car valet parked as I'm concerned the attendant may not know how to operate the car. I then find myself parking the car myself, which further opens me up to someone dinging my door in a crowded parking lot, or I just take one of our other cars, thus robbing me of needed time with my beast.

Valet parking certainly offers better protection of the vehicle......has anyone experienced a confused attendant? How did you handle? Do you take the time to explain to them how it works before they get in?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I know this might be an unusual question, nonetheless it's something that I have been wondering......as a new owner of an M6 I am finding myself hesitant to take advantage of having my car valet parked as I'm concerned the attendant may not know how to operate the car. I then find myself parking the car myself, which further opens me up to someone dinging my door in a crowded parking lot, or I just take one of our other cars, thus robbing me of needed time with my beast.

Valet parking certainly offers better protection of the vehicle......has anyone experienced a confused attendant? How did you handle? Do you take the time to explain to them how it works before they get in?

I commute to San Fransico each day and I get my car valet park every day because parking is hard to find. I simply told the guys who worked there that the car was very important to me and to be very careful with it. Each morning they walk around the car to inspect if there is any new damage(not like there is any:M5thumbs:) and if there is any new damage on the car when I return, then they are 100% liable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How does valet parking make you feel the car is safer while parked? In Chicago, the valets stack the cars ten deep in various lower alleys, and shuffle the cars in and out all day long as they are needed. I realize it isn't the same everywhere, but there is nothing safe or secure about leaving your car with the valet.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not asking about the safety of the M6 while parked, my concern was with an attendant who does not know how to operate the car and thus his difficulty with getting it into a parking space. Anybody run into this? Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not asking about the safety of the M6 while parked, my concern was with an attendant who does not know how to operate the car and thus his difficulty with getting it into a parking space. Anybody run into this? Sorry for the confusion.
No Confusion. I was pointing out that you have to worry about all the things you would parking it anywhere else, plus wheel rash, scuffed bumpers and anything else you could imagine might go wrong while parking. When you move 1000's of cars a day, you are not going to do it with the same meticulous care we would park our own cars with.

If you are asking if you might meet a valet with a low IQ that doesn't understand he needs to push the key in before he pulls it out and breaks it in the process...well he is a valet after all. When BMW changed the order of the gear selector in the Sport Automatic transmission in 2007, I saw countless scenarios in parking lots and car washes, where someone would shift without looking and run the car right into the wall or car in front of them while looking over their shoulder.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
A parking valet is about two notches below Taco Bell clerk on the food chain. It is also a job that thieves find as an ideal venue to ply their craft. They like to brag to eachother about the rubber they burn while parking their customer's vehicles, and most have little respect for the property of others. Other than those factors, valets are absolutely fantastic!

You posted your question because you inherently have doubts about the wisdom of using a parking valet. Your instincts are correct.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies! I certainly understand the need and hassles to park in garages when working/living in the big metro cities, I ride my beast primarily on the weekends and evening outings and would consider only using valet at a nice rest. or bar where they park the cars in the front or side lots. I unfortunately can envision me giving each attendant a primer on how to get in and our of R and over to D1 ??????

·
Registered
21 Posts
I unfortunately can envision me giving each attendant a primer on how to get in and our of R and over to D1
Better than trying to educate them, as they either won't understand or won't care, you should let them educate you. I am certain any valet you give your car to will be able to tell you all about his version of launch mode. It was a sad day in the lives of valets all across the planet when transmissions became electronically controlled and they could no longer compare one 5000 or 6000 rpm neutral drop to the next. They are certainly far down the totem pole from fast food worker, yet they probably have a vast working knowledge of exactly how much abuse any particular make and model with withstand.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I won't (or should I say try hard not to) valet my M6 or NSX unless I know the attendant. I always park far away and try to remove one angle of attack by parking against a wall or something or treasured value like another coveted ride. I tend to drive from home to places of lower parking risk, such as my office protected by my employees on one side. I use to get my car dinged at the Redskins games by a bunch of idiot drunks. no way will I drive there unless I am in a select lot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I won't (or should I say try hard not to) valet my M6 or NSX unless I know the attendant. I always park far away and try to remove one angle of attack by parking against a wall or something or treasured value like another coveted ride. I tend to drive from home to places of lower parking risk, such as my office protected by my employees on one side. I use to get my car dinged at the Redskins games by a bunch of idiot drunks. no way will I drive there unless I am in a select lot.
A few weeks ago, a close friend of mine sent me a phone pic from his work parking garage in West Hollywood. It was a picture of a McLaren SLR parked in a corner spot with a pole next to it. It was funny how different our perspectives were. I own a corner spot in every garage I park in with any regularity. So to me he was sending a picture of what an awesome parking spot this guy found. His viewpoint was a little different...he wanted to show me that some idiot left his McLaren in a dirty parking garage.

·
Registered
133 Posts
A few weeks ago, a close friend of mine sent me a phone pic from his work parking garage in West Hollywood. It was a picture of a McLaren SLR parked in a corner spot with a pole next to it. It was funny how different our perspectives were. I own a corner spot in every garage I park in with any regularity. So to me he was sending a picture of what an awesome parking spot this guy found. His viewpoint was a little different...he wanted to show me that some idiot left his McLaren in a dirty parking garage.
That is so true, different people have different perspectives! that's why I always try to measure my emotion before responding to people's comment in the fear of people thinking I'm some sort of a snob, driving an M6 or something like that. same thing when someone mentions politics, religion, their golf club, or their Yugo.

On another note, a good friend introduced another guy to me who seems like a good guy; this guy actually offered me to drive his Mclaren if I came to Vegas. Naturally, I thought I am going to book Vegas just to drive his F1. Am I a snob or just stupid to assume it had to be an F1? I spent the whole evening sitting next to him at dinner and not even asking him details about the car, figuring I'd do it person with my camera? would I be a snob if I called and asked him if he has an F1 or SLR, which I wouldn't mind driving either , but not do a trip just for that.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I rarely use a valet for a lot of reasons mentioned previously. I feel I can find a spot more remote and at least protected on one side by curb or wall. There are times though when staying at a upscale hotel or eating at exclusive restaurant where I will Valet park (the smaller and more exclusive the better). So far I have not found a valet attendant that didn't know how to drive with the SMG. Below are my tips.
1. Look at other cars parked in front of the establishment reserved for valet parking. Higher end cars present more likely I'll let mine be valet parked.
2. Look at the age of the attendant. I tend to trust the 40 to 50 old more so then the 20 year old. My hope is the older attendant is working a second job to earn more during these economic hard times, not that his vocational level only allows him to park cars. If I see a 20 year attendant I just drop off my wife and park myself as I always picture that scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
3 The most important tip is to give a good tip as you drop off the car and ask the attendant to take care of the car. I have found with the right tip this will get your car in one of the good reserved spots in front of the establishment instead of crammed in the back with the other valet cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
they do protect the car well, but I have some experience that some valet guy are interesting in the car, so they kind of drive messing around which I don't like. So if you want to to valet, you should really take chance.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Here's a reliable one. Apparently their crock-pot possum stew is not bad either.

Attachments

Reactions: Mark Carson

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Here's a reliable one. Apparently their crock-pot possum stew is not bad either.
I believe that one of my former direct reports tried to take me to lunch at this fine establishment. Alfresco dining at its best!

Reactions: David Ajax III

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If you're not a big fan of stew, word is that their pulled-crow sandwich, served open-faced with a crispy dill and chips, is also a winner.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
While there are many a brave diner here in South Louisiana (think 8 ways to prepare alligator), I believe that menu item would probably find very few takers!! :1:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
The few times I turn my M6 (with SMG) over to a valet (at a nice restaurant), I ask them if they have driven/parked a BMW with SMG before or not. If not, then I advise them that they have to start in neutral with their foot on the brake, etc.. After dinner, I usually see my beast parked in plain view, so tip the guy and more often than not, tell them I've got it, drive it away myself. I'll pay full tip for half a job 'cause it reduces the chance of them doing something bad by 50%.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Ajax hates it when the valet fractures the lip against a curb stop, and then says it was that way before he parked it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Need I say more?

Reactions: MKSixer
1 - 20 of 25 Posts