BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last night my wife and i went out to celebrate our anniversary at one of the finer dining establishments in the city. because high end cars frequent this place i felt comfortable letting the valet park the car. (it is in the city so there aren't any other great options)

after an enjoyable meal, i got in the car only to discover that 10 miles had been run up on the odometer (not to mention probable the 5k off the tires and clutch) grrrrrrr the engine was warmer than when i had dropped it off (we were inside for 2.5 hrs), confirming the valet's adventure. :wroom:

not to make us late or ruin the mood of the evening, i decided to deal with it later. the restaurant manager was rather apologetic, but somewhat powerless because they hire an outside company to run the valet service. she said that she would get to the bottom of it, but we shall see . . . i am expecting some type of reinbursement from the valet company.

it is a shame that i have to be nerotic about my car at a 5 star restaurant! :mad:

are there any scenarios where you let the valet park your car?

next time i am definitely waiting around to get my keys if i have no choice but to use a valet service!!

bryon :cheers:

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear that, Im sure stuff like that happens a lot.

·
Banned
99 Posts
Had dropped my car off at a long term
park ("LAX Parking" to be specific). Checked the odometer before I left, even took a picture just for proof.
Returned 8 days later from a trip to Japan to find only .8 miles had been put on the car,
(but they must have teared up and down the parking structure to even put
.8 miles on it!) To my horror/disappointment the front driver fender liner
was totally bashed in! Bits of plastic from it were on the ground next to the car. I was so angry but too tired from my trip to have it out with them...I just let it go. Probably shouldn't have just out of principle.

Oh well, learned my lesson. This is the first and LAST time I will let anyone valet/park/have keys to my car!

grrrrrr!

·
Registered
439 Posts
i started taking my digital camera and snapping off shots while the guy is standing there , im sure to include whoever is parking it in the photowhen i do. they get so pissed..

ray

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I dont mind as much anymore with my VW, but with my E39 noone touched it. I have a friend who worked as a valet for awhile, and the abuse stories that I heard made me cringe. Not even to mention this kid couldnt drive stick, but the company allowed him to work there once he could move the car. Great, 400hp, small clutch and someone who has no experiance trying to romp on it. Great combo...
:cheers:

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
ray540inyc said:
i started taking my digital camera and snapping off shots while the guy is standing there , im sure to include whoever is parking it in the photowhen i do. they get so pissed..

ray

Ohhhh........ man, that a great one! I can only imagine the evil eye look they give you as your taking their PIC. haaahhh............... hiha hiha hiha hiha hiha

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
question Bryon....................

What do you thin they'll do you your as far as compensation and what do you think is fair when you said, "i am expecting some type of reinbursement from the valet company." Hopw would you put a monetary value for what the car jocky kid did to your car ???
Robert

:viking:

·
Registered
439 Posts
whats really funny is i spring it on them as if i forgot something, so i look like im walking away and i wait for them to get in the car hehe.. :1: so mean i know but whatever i dont care. you know the deal in nyc..

FAST 5 said:
Ohhhh........ man, that a great one! I can only imagine the evil eye look they give you as your taking their PIC. haaahhh............... hiha hiha hiha hiha hiha

·
Registered
767 Posts
oneway said:
. . i am expecting some type of reinbursement from the valet company.

are there any scenarios where you let the valet park your car?

bryon :cheers:

tell them the clutch is blown and requires a $1700 fix. That should get the guy fired (before you admit that you can live with it).

I NEVER let a valet park the M. NEVER.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Last 03 5 said:
None. :nono: I'm saying this as a former Valet (many years ago while still in school).

Regards,

Greg
I'm a Valet in Hollywood for several clubs and restraunts along the Sunset Strip and i know all about the abuses and joyriding of cars that go on. I'd say The only time you can be sure that your car will be taken care of is if you have a chance to talk to the valet about your car and show that he has some intrest in it (and not how fast he can make it go around the block). I ( as a valet) always try to point out any modifications done to their vehicle of any kind can compliment them ( even if it looks horrible) to gain some sort of trust. Bottom line is, unless you see some sort of respect for the car....ask for the keys back kindly.....or ask to park it yourself and still pay the fee.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
citystar said:
I'm a Valet in Hollywood for several clubs and restraunts along the Sunset Strip and i know all about the abuses and joyriding of cars that go on. I'd say The only time you can be sure that your car will be taken care of is if you have a chance to talk to the valet about your car and show that he has some intrest in it (and not how fast he can make it go around the block). I ( as a valet) always try to point out any modifications done to their vehicle of any kind can compliment them ( even if it looks horrible) to gain some sort of trust. Bottom line is, unless you see some sort of respect for the car....ask for the keys back kindly.....or ask to park it yourself and still pay the fee.
There ya go.

There is NO time I give up the keys, hence I never let a valet park it. Period.

I ask- "Hey, I need to park this in front here and take the keys- is that OK?" and hand him a $20. Only done it 4 times since I owned the M. Every time a smile...

A

·
Registered
251 Posts
A few extra $$ when I pull up along with instruction to "park it out front" where I can see it usually solves any problems.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
If I can't park the beast out front and take the keys, then she does not stay. No reason to tempt fate, you know what the valet's want to do with these cars. :M5launch:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Never Valet!!! If you think they screen the valets, ask the valet manager to show you that his crew actually have driver's licenses. You will find that alot are unlicensed and some are illegals. Citystar said it all. Valeted cars get stolen, abused, given to the wrong drivers, and stolen in front of the owners while the valet hands it over to the crook. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER VALET PARK!!!

John

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I valet cars when I was in high school (summer job) and let's just say I will never have my M5 valet. We took some really nice cars around the block, a few times sideways around corners on three wheels! I actually learned how to drive stick on the job when I was 17! When in that position of having to valet my car I will give the valet an extra $20 and ask to park it myself or watch and wait for the keys. I figure $20 is a small price to pay for clutch wear. Sorry to hear about your incident, I hope you get some type of reimbursement from the restaurant or valet company:(

·
Registered
680 Posts
This is my absolute worst nightmare and after hearing multitudes of horror stories, I will say that if I have a choice, I will not ever valet the car.

I have to go. I'm nauseous now.

-Matthew

·
Registered
739 Posts
At my country club, where I know the valets, one brings up my car with a little smile and says: "I didn't know these cars were that fast." I never valeted the car again.

Second story, different vehicle - I have a high top conversion van. I went to a resort in Naples Florida. I told the valet not to park it indoors, since it needed 8 feet of clearance. The next morning the manager rings my room - the valet ignored by advice and tried to make it a convertible. It cost the hotel $2,000 to repair the roof - of the van.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I never valet -- not the M5 nor the 540i/6 that has 162k miles on it -- I will walk many blocks to a self parking lot, even staying in a high end hotel. It drives my wife crazy and it's a standing joke among my co-workers. There is always somewhere within walking distance that you can self park and I have always done so, even in the pouring rain.

I'll have to remember the suggestion about handing the guy a 20 and self parking in the valet area ... excellent idea.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Seems to me that cars should have a valet key option with more features than just a basic key.

Like the following:
Very low RPM limit,
15 mph speed limit,
and a really obvious millage tally in the nav window, with big bold letters that would tell everyone who looks the millage used, peek rpms, and top speed....
That way when you picked it up you could know exactly how much to tip.

Seems like this would be a good idea because it would turn a beast into basically a golf cart.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts