BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally ordered a Valentine One radar detector and got it all hooked up in the car last weekend. Just thought I'd upload a few pictures! I mounted the detector to the passenger visor so it would be relatively out of sight (as you can see in the exterior pictures) and easy to slide off and throw in the glovebox if I need to. I ran the power cable through the windshield edge of the headliner and then down the weather stripping on the driver side A pillar to keep it out of sight.

I also bought the Savvy accessory that plugs right into the obdii port. So the power wire gets plugged into Savvy, negating the need to direct wire it. Savvy reads the speed of the vehicle and then mutes (really uses a second volume level) the beeping from the unit below a speed you set via scroll wheel. Very handy if you're just sitting in traffic or behaving yourself in town and don't want to have to be constantly turning the volume up/down.

After I got everything hooked up and drove around with it it worked like a charm. It spotted a state trooper on the on ramp tucked up BEHIND a bridge from around a quarter to half mile before I got to the bridge. Then it did the same thing again a few miles down the road with another trooper.

My only complaint was that I had to physically turn my head to read the display on the detector since it's located up and to the right of my face. To fix that I ordered the concealed display and mounted it at the base of the windshield. That thing is worth its weight in gold! It keeps the display in my field of vision so I only need to glance down when needed and can still keep my eyes on the road. Definitely recommended! :deal:

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also bought the Savvy accessory that plugs right into the obdii port. So the power wire gets plugged into Savvy, negating the need to direct wire it.

So you plug both the main head unit and the remote unit into the Savvy for power? No hard wiring necessary ?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Hardwire is so much cleaner. :dunno:

·
Registered
938 Posts
But I guess you can't do that with the SAAVY adapter? I was lucky enough to buy a StealthOne unit back in the day....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you plug both the main head unit and the remote unit into the Savvy for power? No hard wiring necessary ?
Correct, Savvy has a little dongle that you plug both the main unit and display into. Everything is then powered by the obdii port and turns on/off automatically with the car.

But I guess you can't do that with the SAAVY adapter? I was lucky enough to buy a StealthOne unit back in the day....
I don't think you can, no. Savvy needs to be plugged into the obdii port to work and it's a bit bulky. But it's well up and out of the way of any legs and you have to get down low to see it. The only wire I'm not too thrilled about seeing is the one that plugs into the concealed display. Otherwise the wire from the main unit goes straight into the headliner and is very clean.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you hardwire the concealed display? I'm not bothered by the savvy unit (out of sight, out of mind) and the only cable I see is the cord plugging into the concealed display, it'd be nice to hide/hardwire that somehow or at the very least find a smaller, maybe 90degree elbow cable to use instead.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Savvy isn't necessary. It's an accessory from V1 so you can adjust the MPH threshold at which the unit will funtion. I would do this install, hardwired into the UGDO and purchase a StealthOne concealed display interface and if you have other vehicles, utilize the ValentineOne concealed display in one of them and just transfer the V1 unit between all of them as you choose to drive them.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
^^^ I'm with you. But, to each his own! Good job getting yourself aware of your surroundings. Maybe a LI now . . . !

Now about the StealthOne and where to find it. . . lol

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
This picture suggests you have the climate comfort screen, you can see the cutout shape near the rain sensor. If you do then your mounting location is behind the metalised layer and it will cut out about 90% of any radar signal and seriously reduce the effectiveness of the Valentine One.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I don't think the metalised windscreen, climate comfort, was ever an option in the US. We only have the normal tint, which is a non issue.
I have the same cutout shape and definitively NOT climate comfort

Reactions: gsfent

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I always thought the cutout was only in the metalised layer, so if you have te sutout then you have the metalised layer. I have no proof of this though, all I can say is that in the UK all the Climate Comfort screens I have seen have the cutout, all the non Climate Comfort don't!

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
How do you hardwire the concealed display? I'm not bothered by the savvy unit (out of sight, out of mind) and the only cable I see is the cord plugging into the concealed display, it'd be nice to hide/hardwire that somehow or at the very least find a smaller, maybe 90degree elbow cable to use instead.
The concealed display is designed to be ............concealed! Mostly from people outside the vehicle, but definitely from LEO.

To each his own, but if you measure, the ashtray is a perfect hiding place, with the cover that closes over it when not in use.

If the Savvy can power the concealed display, I don't see why it wouldn't work with a Stealthone, if you can find one to buy. The Stealthone integrates into the dash display itself, very slick.

Regards,

Jerry

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I've alwasy wondered if the V1 remote display can be used with the StealthOne. I have a remote display in the rear view mirror and a StealthOne sitting in a box, it would be quite nice to have both working.

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
I've alwasy wondered if the V1 remote display can be used with the StealthOne. I have a remote display in the rear view mirror and a StealthOne sitting in a box, it would be quite nice to have both working.
Not sure, since both would have the display. But try to wire it up and subsitute one for the remote audio component, and see if that works. Or better yet, use the remote audio and Stealthone as the hidden display. I would guess the Stealthone would be substituted for the concealed display.

I have to tell you, once you use the Stealthone, you won't go back to a concealed display.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The concealed display is designed to be ............concealed! Mostly from people outside the vehicle, but definitely from LEO.

To each his own, but if you measure, the ashtray is a perfect hiding place, with the cover that closes over it when not in use.

If the Savvy can power the concealed display, I don't see why it wouldn't work with a Stealthone, if you can find one to buy. The Stealthone integrates into the dash display itself, very slick.

Regards,

Jerry
The Stealthone is pretty slick, honestly hadn't seen that before! $230 bones is a bit steep for something I could only use in this car, but I agree it seems like a MUCH cleaner solution. I wasn't too worried about concealing the screen (since the detector is still hanging there and radar detectors are legal here), I just wanted something that I could easily read out of the corner of my eye versus having to physically turn my head away from the road. So the $40 "concealed" display is doing exactly what I need for now. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^^ I'm with you. But, to each his own! Good job getting yourself aware of your surroundings. Maybe a LI now . . . !

Now about the StealthOne and where to find it. . . lol
Thought about it, but unfortunately I'm in one of the few states where those are illegal. :sad3:

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Ok, I have to ask, did anybody ever get tickets when using their V1? I don't drive that fast on roads where poop can hide anymore, but I'm curious.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts