BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my Stealthone and hard-wired my Valentine into the power above the garage door / phone / sunroof panel. Now, I'd like to run the V1 unit itself to the back of the car - probably the rear headrest.

Dumb question - I need a longer cord - is it just a telephone cord? I bought a 25 foot telephone cord and the connection does not work (while the shorter one that came with the V1 does). It looks like the V1 is a telephone cord, but I'm not exactly sure. If I need an longer cord, where do I go?

Thanks a lot.

Pete

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
From the Valentine 1 Owner's Manual, page 20:

Valentine One uses standard RJ-11 (modular) telephone
connectors. You can use any telephone cable (the one that
runs from the wall jack to the phone) for a power cord.
Complete cables are available in many lengths at electrical
or building-supply stores.
You can also make your own power cord using bulk phone
cable cut to whatever length you choose. To attach the
RJ-11 connectors, you will need a special attaching tool.
Bulk phone cables, loose connectors, and the attaching tool
are available in most electrical or building-supply stores.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly, I bought a second 25 foot cable at the hardware store and the problem remains. The Valentine connector looks just a tad bigger than the one I bought, but they both have 4 points of contact at the end of them. I'm at a loss.

The valentine connector has the initials "BN" on it, I'll have to do a little research to see what that means.

But for others - beware - It is not a standard phone line.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hmmm....sounds strange to me. I needed an extension and the regular phone cable I purchased worked fine. I'll check my v1 for the "BN" but I don't know what to tell you.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
toolape said:
Honestly, I bought a second 25 foot cable at the hardware store and the problem remains. The Valentine connector looks just a tad bigger than the one I bought, but they both have 4 points of contact at the end of them. I'm at a loss.

The valentine connector has the initials "BN" on it, I'll have to do a little research to see what that means.

But for others - beware - It is not a standard phone line.
The wire that goes to the handset is a bit smaller connection on the modular jack, as you are describing. this cable will not work. Make sure the cable has the larger RJ-11 connectors on the end. These are the normal connectors from the wall to the telephone. I have used this cable and it works. Try an existing cable from a phone in your house. It should work The package should say what type of connectors are on the phone cord you purchased..

·
Registered
26 Posts
See quote below from owners manual. Valentine Cable Extension Question

Hi, ran across the same problem when hardwiring my V1 into my M3. This is from the owners manual. See the last line. I didn't know what this meant at first. Made up my own cord by cutting a phone cable in half and wiring the cut end to a 1amp fuse and a ground wire. It didn't work until I reversed the polarity. So, I guess somewhere in the V1 cord the polarity is reversed. Hope this helps.

"Making your own Power Cord Valentine One uses standard RJ-11 (modular) telephone connectors. You can use any telephone cable (the one that runs from the wall jack to the phone) for a power cord. Complete cables are available in many lengths at electrical or building-supply stores. You can also make your own power cord using bulk phone cable cut to whatever length you choose. To attach the
RJ-11 connectors, you will need a special attaching tool. Bulk phone cables, loose connectors, and the attaching tool are available in most electrical or building-supply stores. NOTE: The sequence of wires must be reversed from one end to the other."

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Re: See quote below from owners manual. Valentine Cable Extension Question

On a standard telephone cord, only two wires (red and green, the middle two) are necessary. Many stores sell these and nobody usually has a problem. Look closely at the connector- you should see yellow, green, red, black. If just two, UhOh

Make sure the 4 conductor RJ11 cord is 'fully populated'- ie all wires are in it.

I am almost certain that all 'off the shelf' RJ-11 telephone cables are 'cross overs' (as the post above explains).

A

PS I made a little 4" cable and modified the other black one from the V1 for my install- I put in a stealth one and didn't want all the excess hanging around in the roof. As a long time phone phreak, I had the crimper, but you can get them pretty cheap at home depot, etc. Comes in handy when the little clip breaks off the modular plug- or you want to make you own ethernet cables!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks for your advice. Maybe this problem is something else - because my cords are off the shelf and they have 4 connections. I even cut one to see the 4 wires.

I will say that the purchased wire powers the V1 but it makes a strange noise and has a strage readout - something definitely is not right.

Oh well, thanks for all the help. I think I'll take it in to an expert.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts

toolape said:
Thanks for your advice. Maybe this problem is something else - because my cords are off the shelf and they have 4 connections. I even cut one to see the 4 wires.
Make sure there are 4 wires connected at each end of the modular- look through the clear plastic to see the color coded insulation running under the gold plated crimps.

If the supplied one isn't working with the cigarette lighter plug in, don't bother with an "expert"- call Valentine, it's defective!

Good luck

A

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Polarity is not reversed. As stated above, the cables are standard 4-conductor phone line. Make sure you've got 4-wire line and 4-contact modular plugs and both plugs are put on (if you do it yourself) so that the same wires go to the same respective contacts on the two plugs (ie not a cross-over)

:cheers:

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
XrayMD said:
Polarity is not reversed. As stated above, the cables are standard 4-conductor phone line. Make sure you've got 4-wire line and 4-contact modular plugs and both plugs are put on (if you do it yourself) so that the same wires go to the same respective contacts on the two plugs (ie not a cross-over)

I disagree.

The coiled cord with my V1 has yellow, green, red, black on one end; and black, red, green, yellow on the other.

This IS a standard telephone cable. In that sense it is not a cross over, in that all standard cables use this order.

Draw a diagram, with 1,2,3,4 being each modular plug, and the ..... being the wire:

Now, turn the plugs so they are right next to each other with the wire looped down:

4,3,2,1.---------1,2,3,4
. .
. .

When inspecting a straight through modular cable the ends ARE reversed.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Yep. Sorry...explained that wrong. One end should have yellow green red black (left to right in plug, and the other plug,held the same way) should have black red green yellow.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
XrayMD said:
Yep. Sorry...explained that wrong. One end should have yellow green red black (left to right in plug, and the other plug,held the same way) should have black red green yellow.

OK...forget that! I had it right the first time. If both modular connectors (plugs) are held the same way, then the order of wires will be the same on both. THat's my final answer and I'm stickin' to it!!! :hihi:

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
XrayMD said:
OK...forget that! I had it right the first time. If both modular connectors (plugs) are held the same way, then the order of wires will be the same on both. THat's my final answer and I'm stickin' to it!!! :hihi:
Final, Final answer?

A picture perhaps...

This is the stock V1 coiled cable -(pic 1).

The ends are oriented the same in the close up (pic2)- the little plastic clip is on the top on both connectors. Note the color order of the wires, on each end: different

Attachments

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Guess I should have stuck with my second answer (since it was correct!!!) Must have been one of those days ??????

·
Registered
98 Posts
ard said:
A picture perhaps...

This is the stock V1 coiled cable -(pic 1).

The ends are oriented the same in the close up (pic2)- the little plastic clip is on the top on both connectors. Note the color order of the wires, on each end: different
I just picked up a 15 foot standard modular 4 conductor cable. This is a line cord for use from the telephone to wall. It does have 4 wires and the color order is opposite from end to end as shown above.

Regards,

Greg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts