BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a search and I'm surprised no one has posted this info yet on our M6 forum so here it is.

No more dangling power cord to power your Valentine 1 radar detector.

A very easy 10 minute mod.

I did this mod on my wife's E46 and on my E39 M5.

Same procedures apply to E63.

Please see attached DIY.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
V1 Hardwire w Vert

Mike, if you look at Dan's post and the picture of the plug in the overhead, the wire to the far right (passenger direction) is switched 12v. Tap into that wire. I ran the V1 ground via a hard wire , along the windshield trim to a brown ground wire under the driver's side footwell area. Then you can mount the V1 on windshield like Whatheheck did.

Another option is to stealth the V1 in one or both of the ways below
- Create space in the overhead light assy area by removing the passenger airbag light small circuit. Tape it and hide it in one of the crevices. Trim the plastic cover thats visible from the passenger compartment so its a little more than flush when pushed into its opening.
- Trim three vertical plastic supports using a Dremel to create room for the V1 wired as described above
- Use the V1 remote accessory to control the V1 on/off and volume from a location in the cabin. I chose the location under the driver footwell area.

Doing this will eliminate laser detection as the V1 requires line of sight. If that's an issue, the Blinder or another Laser Jamming device, many of which are discussed the Board, can be substituted for Laser detection/jamming and can also be hidden

If you really want to go to the extent I did, the displays for my V1 and the Blinder can be positioned in the mirror assembly. Can't see anything but mirror when the lights are off and doesn't take that much space behind the mirror itself. Just another option. It requires the glass that comes from an M mirror (I used a 2010 M mirror), with the compass. No etching was required. Another Board Member mounted the displays for me. I didn't do that myself.

Pictures below tell the story. Some options to think about

Pix #1 taped wiring from passenger airbag circuit/light, tuck it away, no errors
Pix #2 shaved passenger airbag trim cover so it doesn't hit the V1
Pix #3 V1 mounted in overhead light assy after three plastic ribs were cut away to make room
Pix #4 V1 remote control/speaker mounted under driver footwell area
Pix #5 Display removed from V1 remote display accessory in rearview mirror

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the tutorial... the pdf file and pics were a great help. But here is my experience on my 2007 Cabrio....

There's more than one red wire with a yellow stripe.... I used the one to the farthest side (towards the passenger seat).... I didn't use the brown wire for the ground as I didn't have another quick-clip to splice into it... so, I simply drilled a small hole in the frame above the light console and used a screw to secure the ground wire to the frame.

On the 2007 Cab, the red wire with yellow stripe furthest to the passenger side is NOT a switched 12V.... my V1 stays on, I have to manually turn it off.... that's not that big a deal to me, when I feel like it or get tired of using the switch I'll play with the other red wires with yellow stripes to see if one of the other ones is a switched wire.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Mark, the wire farthest right as you describe is switched or rather timed, but does not shut down immediately after the engine is turned off. I checked every wire up there and left a V meter on each for up to 30 minutes. That particular wire shuts down after approximately 15 minutes, the shortest of all the wires in that assy, so at worst, the V1 remains powered for 15 minutes max then shuts down. Since I use the Valentine remote accessory described for on/off, I can shut it manually but I still forget to shut it off sometimes, so when I re enter the car, the V1 powers up as soon as the door is opened (that particular 12v circuit senses activity on the vehicles MOST circuitry, enabling power when the car has any electrical activity called for). That's my reminder that I left it on. Give it a try.

By the way, be careful of the wire that powers the center courtesy light that is on and off with door opening and closure. I found that wire gradually reduces voltages which is why the light dims gradually. That happens within a minute of exiting the car, but I was afraid that low voltage on the V1 might fry it or the circuit so I went the route you have now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just checked my car.... I left the V1 on, came back 10-15 minutes later and the V1 was off. As soon as I opened the door, the V1 powered up.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I don't believe the drain for the extra minutes the V1 remains on is significant, but I do shut it more often than not when I shut the car down. I also use a Battery Tender. Glad it worked.

Regards

·
Registered
146 Posts
Great DIY write up.

I will follow.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I think I'll buy one of these when I get back in March. Not too comfortable with the install yet, but I'll do some more reading. I really like the way zerocks did his. What I'm not understanding is where the sensor is..?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts