BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Alpina puts their 500 hp engine from the B5 & B7 into the e90 3 series and the z4 coupe it would truly be a ferrari killer! Are there any rumors floating around on what the powerplant will be in the new B3? Given that BMW itself is going to put a 400hp v8 in the new M3 and the MZ4, Alpina could outdo them by putting in this already well tested engine in it!

·
Registered
299 Posts
as far as i know there are no plans by Alpina to act this way.

The guy who made the Hartge Z4 5.0 and the H50 ist planning to get the V10 7 gear SMG thing into a E 90.....

·
Registered
476 Posts
As far as I know the E90 B3 will come with the 3 liters 6 cylinders from the 330i, reworked (new intake, new pistons, camshafts, ECU, ..) and the now traditional radial compressor developed by ASA in cooperation with Alpina.
The ouptut should be around 380 bhp, and 500 Nm of torque.

There are no plans to change the engine of the Roadster S (Z4), which is the 3,4 liters aspirated 6 cylinders .

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Smart money is defn on an SC I6 - although this will mean less differentiation from all the tuners out there with such models. I can't see the H1 V8 engine fitting in an E90 - it's quite a tight fit in the E60! The M3's V8 will be smaller in terms of external dimensions than the N62-based H1.

·
Registered
476 Posts
hythe said:
Smart money is defn on an SC I6 - although this will mean less differentiation from all the tuners out there with such models. I can't see the H1 V8 engine fitting in an E90 - it's quite a tight fit in the E60! The M3's V8 will be smaller in terms of external dimensions than the N62-based H1.
Fully agree on your statements. Alpina has the risk to be seen as "another intallator of superchargers..." . If it goes this way, I would be tempted by AMG: same engine solutions, but much more beautiful & exclusive design with the new CLS.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Sherlock said:
Fully agree on your statements. Alpina has the risk to be seen as "another intallator of superchargers..." . If it goes this way, I would be tempted by AMG: same engine solutions, but much more beautiful & exclusive design with the new CLS.
I don't know if we need to go to that extreme!

Of course, at the end of the day, let's not forget that Alpina does a lot more to the engine than just slap on a supercharger and tweak the ECU - we're talking bespoke pistons, injectors, intercooler & crankshaft, not to mention gearbox, diff, brakes, suspension, etc.

From everything I've heard so far, the B5 should be more than a match for the CLS55 AMG, in terms of ride, handling and straight-line performance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts