BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Before I begin, I have used the search function and read dozens of articles, replies on the subject of sat nav and been to many a website, but I still can't find the answer I need. Feel free to post a link straight to it and make me look stupid...ouich

My 2001 E39 M5 has the Mk4 DVD sat-nav system, currently with 2013 maps. The software level shown on the 16:9 screen is SW 4-1/00, which leads me to believe it's either v31 or v32. Is there anyway to verify if I have v31 or v32?

The reason I ask is that I bought this (BMW 2014 HIGH MK4 VERSION MK4 Based High NAV DVD FEBRUARY 2014 DATABASE | eBay) update disc, which claims to need v32, but then mentions something about v32.2 at the bottom, at which point I get confused. When the disc is inserted into the car, I get the error message "Please insert correct CD/DVD" or similar. I put my old disc back in and all is well, so I don't think it's the laser failing to read. So do I have v31 instead, and need to update it to v32? Do I need something else? Or do I just have a dud disc?

All I wanted to do was bring the maps up to date, nothing fancy. Any help is most welcome!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
The last version of the operating system's firmware is v32. IIRC, the only difference between v31 and v32 is that v32 can read from a dual layer disk. The add you mentioned is very confused. The Mk-IV navigation was not available on any MOST equipped vehicle. The MOST bus replaced the I-bus and work on a completely different architecture (fiber optic). The Map disks do not care as to which version of the O/S firmware the navigation computer has loaded.

2014 HIGH MK4 VERSION MK4 Based High NAV DVD
FEBRUARY 2014 DATABASE

2014 EUROPE High DVD (TMC, 7 DIGIT Postcode + Speedcams)
Compatible with these following BMW Cars:
BMW cars from 2003 model year to 2010 year MK4 navigation unit.
3-series e46 (2000-2005),
M3 (
2001-2006)
5-series e39 (2000-2003),
M5 (
2000-2004)
X3 e83 (2004-up),
X5 e53 (
2000-2006)
7-series e38/e65/e66 (2000-2008) E6x has MOST
Z4 e85/e86 (2003-2008)
Range Rover (2003-2004)
MINI (2004-2006)
New updates in V32.2 custom firmware not BMW
· Graphics Enhancements to improve visibility at a glare
· Much faster than the older software versions | Split screen
· 7 Digit postcode input search
· 3D Birdview perspective mode + night view mode (Not available on the 7 Series)
· Speed camera locations enabled with voice alert ( No voice alert on the 7 series)
· Highways and routes written identification improvement
· Voice guidance has clearer vocabulary and provides clearer directions
· The destination is marked with a 3D checkered flag
· Now you can avoid a trouble spot on route to your destination
· Main roads are shown at higher zoom levels
· Map positioning in “Travel Direction” can now be selected in scales up to 100 miles
· More details are displayed in full screen and split screen modes
· Disable Points Of Interest icons is now selectable in General: Destinations and in Travel information
· Supports BMW Sirius, destinations + (destinations with detailed guide)
· 360 degree map rotation as you drive
. Faster satellite Acquisition

Also the images in the ad are from a Most vehicle.
$_57.jpg

Check the part number with your local BMW dealer, but I fear that you may have a disk set for a MOST not I-bus navigation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. The seller has kindly accepted to refund me once I return the item, I will look for a source of I-bus map discs.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
According to BMW ETK here is the part number for the correct 2014 European map dvds
2014 euro raod maps DVD.JPG

·
Registered
21 Posts
I received the same error message on my e53 running a MK4 and v32 of the operating system when using a copy of the map DVD (I bought the DVDs and copied to keep the originals pristine. My DVD drive did not like the copy I made of the DVD even though I followed the recommendations on record speed, burning software, etc... However the map disk I purchased worked fine. Also, I purchased an upgraded OS v32.2 for this same vehicle however the DVD reader would not read that disk either. I downloaded and burned a fresh disk and it worked fine. For me, bottom line was probably bad DVD copy and a temperamental DVD unit. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts