BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be an off the wall question, but I am off the wall. Has anyone ever heard of taking the massive air cleaner box off the V10 and using single type air filters for each throttle body? Like the old school single carb set up with individual air filters? I know I have tried the K&N Typhoon, computer didn't like it, so that set up would really send the computer into a hissy fit was my thought. Just thought it would look good, different...Thoughts?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man, I'm different, my age bracket the single set up looked cool, I can see it in my mind on my car, I would like it, like I said, computer probably wouldn't. Think of it, a nostalgic E60 M5....!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The closest thing I have seen to what you are suggesting are these velocity stacks. Why would someone use this without any air filters is beyond me ouich

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The closest thing I have seen to what you are suggesting are these velocity stacks. Why would someone use this without any air filters is beyond me ouich
I agree 100%, filtration is a must. Looks good though..!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have seen that sort of set up on a E46 M3, an individual air intake & filter over each throttle body. V similar to this image I pulled from Google.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I think the S85 would suck small children and pets off the side walks with trumpets.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Curious, where did you get this picture? Wonder if it just for show? What happens to the M.A.F. sensors I wonder?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
You're not alone, I think BMW could have done a much better job in presentation of the beautiful S85. I love the old velocity stack look. Even thought something like above or HEMI under glass....

Cheers!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're not alone, I think BMW could have done a much better job in presentation of the beautiful S85. I love the old velocity stack look. Even thought something like above or HEMI under glass....

Cheers!
Now you have my curiosity up, thought you would be much younger than me. How on God's green earth would you know about that old Barracuda, Hemi under glass? I watched that car live in the 60's.
I think the big ugly black box BMW uses on our cars is more window dressing, to cover everything up. The old days it was all polished aluminum or chrome. But still can't understand what you would do with the maf sensors with velocity stacks..

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Now you have my curiosity up, thought you would be much younger than me. How on God's green earth would you know about that old Barracuda, Hemi under glass? I watched that car live in the 60's.
I think the big ugly black box BMW uses on our cars is more window dressing, to cover everything up. The old days it was all polished aluminum or chrome. But still can't understand what you would do with the maf sensors with velocity stacks..

Haha, I was early 70's kid and huge Mopar guy so yeah any old school Mopars I love.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Wish I could get pics on here. In 1972,73 when gas went to hell etc, I had a 69 Roadrunner, 383 4spd, 69 RR 440,4 spd, and a 68 RR, 426 Hemi, 4spd...Oh, to have them now
Yeah, no kidding. Those are some high dollar cars today!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, no kidding. Those are some high dollar cars today!
If you were around at that time, you remember what killed those cars, insurance, emissions, low compression, junk gas. The car lots were over flowing with them, for almost nothing. In 1973 I bought a 1968 RoadRunner, 4 spd, 426 Hemi from Cantrell and Gey Chrysler Plymouth for $975.00. They couldn't give them away. Anyway, still makes me sick.
Obviously the handling and power today is a different animal, but those cars had class, individuality. Just cool as hell.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts