BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to beat a dead horse, but my dealer must have replaced my antenna the last time my car was in and the false Ka's are driving me nuts. I don't want to move my V1 to the passenger side (although I did try it and it didn't help) and Sirius is worth zilch to me since I don't enjoy any of their programming and don't subscribe. I most certainly rather have my V1 functionality back to what I had because the false alarms make it useless to me.

Is there any way for me to just disconnect the Sirius antenna from behind the dash? I looked at several installation photos, but couldn't gather how. Should I ask my dealer to do this for me?

Thanks,
Doobster.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I hate to beat a dead horse, but my dealer must have replaced my antenna the last time my car was in and the false Ka's are driving me nuts. I don't want to move my V1 to the passenger side (although I did try it and it didn't help) and Sirius is worth zilch to me since I don't enjoy any of their programming and don't subscribe. I most certainly rather have my V1 functionality back to what I had because the false alarms make it useless to me.

Is there any way for me to just disconnect the Sirius antenna from behind the dash? I looked at several installation photos, but couldn't gather how. Should I ask my dealer to do this for me?

Thanks,
Doobster.
I have an E60 M5 and SIRIUS but I do not have any false alerts. It must be something else causing it?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have an E60 M5 and SIRIUS but I do not have any false alerts. It must be something else causing it?

Same here.

DB

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
The particular V1 unit might be out of spec, and too sensitive to Ka.
OR
The particular M5 might be out of spec, outputting Ka noise.
OR
A combination of the two issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The particular V1 unit might be out of spec, and too sensitive to Ka.
OR
The particular M5 might be out of spec, outputting Ka noise.
OR
A combination of the two issues.
I've ruled out the V1 by testing another V1 in the M5 and testing the V1 in other vehicles. I have further verified that the offending signal is coming from the shark fin antenna by moving the V1 towards (and touching) the antenna and watching the signal grow to full strength. I don't dispute that the M5 might be out of spec, but rather than get the M5 fixed, having read the interference caused by Sirius antenna in other cases (and also according to the V1 folks themselves), I thought it'd be easier to just disconnect the Sirius antenna.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting change today. I drove my other car for 4 days while the M5 sat in the garage. Today I drove the M5 for 1.5 hours without a single false alarm. If tomorrow is the same way, I'll chance taking the V1 near the antenna again and see if it still picks up stray Ka signals. Could it be (remotely) possible that the satellite radio has decided to shut off its antenna on its own due to inactivity of the car?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Interesting change today. I drove my other car for 4 days while the M5 sat in the garage. Today I drove the M5 for 1.5 hours without a single false alarm. If tomorrow is the same way, I'll chance taking the V1 near the antenna again and see if it still picks up stray Ka signals. Could it be (remotely) possible that the satellite radio has decided to shut off its antenna on its own due to inactivity of the car?
I don't think it is the SAT radio...i had the same problems and moved the V1 about 2 inches to the right and that solved the problem...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I had the same problem and also did the samething which cured it.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Move your V1 so that the top is almost touching the headliner and the right sensor (on the unit) it almost touching/against the headliner (the part that goes down by the mirror/sunvisor.

It may seem like the rear doesn't get out but it does. Moving it there is better because when the car shakes, the unit will not shake. You can also press the silence button while driving at high speeds without missing it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It is a known issue ; But it is highly intermittent.
Mostly happens during colder weather.....
I have two V1 and they both does it in my E60 M5.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
It is a known issue ; But it is highly intermittent.
Mostly happens during colder weather.....
I have two V1 and they both does it in my E60 M5.
For two years in NJ I have never had that happen in my M5. Never happened for the 06MY M5 that spent 1yr in NJ and 1yr in FL either.

My v1 was always mounted to the left of the mirror at the top by the headliner.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Anyone notice that Audi Q7s also set off the V1? I was sitting in an empty parking lot the other day and all of a sudden a Q7 drives by and sets off my V1 and then gets quiet after it leaves the area. I noticed it on the freeway today when a signal was following me for miles and then it turned out there was a Q7 a few cars back.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I've noticed the same with some high end Lexus cars also - I'm thinking its the "following too close" system those cars use?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts