BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of V.A.C rings ready to go Into the s62 but I’m having a difficult time finding the specs for the piston gap. Has anyone else installed these rings? I believe factory ring gap should be around .20 max ...the V.A.C rings I have are a different design and seem to come with a much larger gap...I’m currently looking at .67 without filing them. Anyone with input it would be appreciated as with the virus it’s hard to get in touch with the manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I reached out we will see , I have talked to another member to say that he assumes the rings are wrong

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
The gap does seem awfully big compared to stock, but I've also never gapped rings so I don't want to give bad advice here... curious to know what the answer ends up being though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Naturally aspirated should have .004" -.0045" per inch of bore. So .016".
Slightly more on the second ring.
A 2000 motor I had recently disassembled had .038" on the top ring, and .020" on the second.
I felt that was excessive and caused oil consumption.
Your gap of .67 is just wrong. Wrong part?
Did the VAC ring set have a specified gap?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I havnt seen anything as for specified numbers for the Vac rings, I’m going off metric measurements but I guess I will just have to wait. Bimmer I thinking the motor would be ready to fire up after this long wait. I will you guys up to date. Just remember to check your parts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are we having the classic miscommunication of metric and sae measurements?
.67 mm is .026" with my internet converter.
Not a horrible endgap, but I'd to have the option to pick my gap.
Now, how much bore wear do you have?
And are you checking the gap at the top ring wear point, or unworn top of bore?

·
Registered
8 Posts
JE has a full scope of custom ring alternatives to pick from, yet in addition has premium rings that have been lapped, covered, and so on the rack prepared to dispatch. What was once mystery, race-just innovation is currently accessible to anybody requiring some additional edge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts