BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cyrus said:
How do you rate yours?

I wonder if its any better than the Z3 short shifter. If its not then I can see lots going on ebay!
It's certainly better than before. Nice short throw, not much forward and aft movement once the gear is engaged, still a bit of sideways movement though,which I wasn't expecting...

Fitting wasn't straight forward either, taking the garage a couple of hours to get it in there.

Steve

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
[email protected]
up on a car-lift the fitting shud nOT take more then maximum 2 hours for a trained mechanic -I am happy with mine but I have still to fit the DSSR-link
which probably will take care of the sideways movements -
-
[email protected]
the difference to using other BMW-shifters like from the Z3 etc is NOT the 'shortness' but rather the quality-material used and design which will
prevent the shifter to get loose again because of wearing -
even a NEW M5-OEM-shifter wud be better then the old one but only for a while, the UUC-shifter will last (longer ) - :noSMG: :M5launch:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Steve,

I don't know how much the design has changed but when I installed the shifter myself it only took about 45 minuites for changing the shifter itself about an hour if you count the time to put it up on stands. Unless installing that DSSR things takes an incredible amount of time or the job is much more difficult on RHD cars I think you got jacked by the shop.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The Z3 shifter is solid, it doesnt bend over time, it doesnt wear out.

The only thing that makes the gearshift go sloppy is the bushes and washers that connect all the linkages.

The UUC will also suffer from this and will go sloppy(ier) over time.

At the end of the day its a metal stick with a different pivot point to standard.....this applies to the UUC aswell.

If its made out of better material means nothing as enough force isnt applied to make the Z3 one bend.

The DSSR however is something I am considering buying, this is a very good piece of kit.

Z3 shifter vs UUC - the only difference will be the height it sits at, and the amount of shortening of the shift. The materials used wont make a difference as the BMW one uses materials which are more than sufficient for the job.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
mine is being shipped this arvo.

Do I need to order any parts from BMW to get this thing fitted - I have ordered the DSSR also - and some UUC Tranny mounts.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jahangeer said:
mine is being shipped this arvo.

Do I need to order any parts from BMW to get this thing fitted - I have ordered the DSSR also - and some UUC Tranny mounts.
Mine didn't require any new bits, but I did replace all the gearbox bushes a while back.

Steve

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
are the UUC Tranny mounts poly eurethane? If they are expect lots of noise!

Someone fitted these to an E30 and took them off within a day because of the vibration.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Cyrus said:
are the UUC Tranny mounts poly eurethane? If they are expect lots of noise!

Someone fitted these to an E30 and took them off within a day because of the vibration.
-------------------

The tranny mounts I ordered are black rubber. Not the Red ones.

Do I need to order anything else from BMW before I fit the UUC kit?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts