BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the UUC SSK installed yesterday and for those that haven't done this mod, I am now asking myself what took so long. You will love it!
TripleD

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
ditto. It makes Getrag's "external selector rod" tranny feel slick. Gears are now easy to find and the shifter does not wobble around or have a vague or sloppy feel, like it's made of licorice. I was surprised that these components could make such a difference. I frankly thought most of the slop was internal to the tranny...it wasn't.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Did you install the Double Shear Selector Rod (DSSR) with your EVO3 kit?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I installed the EVO3 some time ago, but the DSSR was not available then.<o:p></o:p>

Since my Dinan tuner is going to have my car in a couple of weeks, I am going to have him install the DSSR as well as my headers then.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

tripleD said:
Just had the UUC SSK installed yesterday and for those that haven't done this mod, I am now asking myself what took so long. You will love it!
TripleD

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes and sorry I didn't mention it. I did install the DSSR Selector Rod. Took what seemed like forever to get it since it was back ordered, but it's on and love it.
TripleD
howler said:
Did you install the Double Shear Selector Rod (DSSR) with your EVO3 kit?ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

I installed the EVO3 some time ago, but the DSSR was not available then.<O:p></O:p>

Since my Dinan tuner is going to have my car in a couple of weeks, I am going to have him install the DSSR as well as my headers then.<O:p></O:p>

<O:p></O:p>

B

·
0 Posts
Anyone looking to purchase the UUC EVO3 and/or DSSR, remember to use one of the following 3 coupons on www.beastpower.com:

- UUC EVO3 + UUC DSSR ($50 discount): TNPM-Y29JXS
- UUC EVO3 ($25 discount): RKWL-7LBUX9
- UUC DSSR ($15 discount): R276-JKFFLR

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I cannot recommend this mod enough. Its totally transformed the way my car drive's .. It feels like a sports car now. Almost a switch like feel. very very good.. and i'm very very happy with this mod!!!

Guys don't delay.. buy this kit for your M5 now!!

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am really interested in this mod. Sounds great.

Is it something I can install myself? I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I am proficient enough with tools to be able to bolt and unbolt things, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
368 Posts
vvanherk said:

Is it something I can install myself? I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I am proficient enough with tools to be able to bolt and unbolt things, etc.

Thanks!
Well I fitted the last short shifter kit i had. and it was dead easy. but this had quite a few bolts and washers.. and tubes of lube and glue and stuff, and the dssr bar looked like it needed some bigger stuff disconnected etc.. so i left it to the pro's at Birds. Not cheap but excellent service.

Cheers
David

B

·
0 Posts
vvanherk said:

Thanks!
Installation requires getting under the car, and can take a professional mechanic 1.5 hours. I would leave this mod to the pros.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would also leave to the pros after seeing what they went thru. I am fairly handy, but glad I didn't tackle this myself.

TripleD

·
Registered
927 Posts
tripleD said:
TripleD
Dave,

Congrats on mod fever. How did the installation go? Was it at Hypertech?
I need mine done too. Just got it a few days ago.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had a shortshift installed just prior to Laguna Sega DS. I could not have imagined using the standard shift. Once you change, you will not go back.

I concur on a having your auto pro install it. noise issues and rattling are not an issue either.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
IMO, this is one of those "must do" mods. I don't think many areas of the M5 need attention, but the shifter could use some help, and UUC has it hooked up. The Evo3 is great - I love mine!

I agree with Daniel - I had mine installed in roughly 60 minutes by someone who knows what he is doing, but it would have taken me probably 4-6 hours to figure it out for the first time. Pay someone the $60 and have it done for you while you sit and read a car mag or something :cheers:

·
Registered
944 Posts
dmc said:
I cannot recommend this mod enough. Its totally transformed the way my car drive's .. It feels like a sports car now. Almost a switch like feel. very very good.. and i'm very very happy with this mod!!!

Guys don't delay.. buy this kit for your M5 now!!

Cheers
Dave
Agree, 1/3 of the price of the schnitzer, and possibly better made. :noSMG:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Is it something I can install myself?
You can install the shifter portion yourself fairly easily but it's the DSSR that would be the difficult part. To install the end that connects to the selector rod of the transmission you have to reach around the driveshaft and do it by feel. On top of that, the clip is fairly stiff. I don't have sufficient finger strength or pain threshold to push the clips on back there so if it were me, I might install the shifter myself and have a pro do the DSSR or just have the pro do the whole thing. Since I already have the prior EVO2 model shifter (and a Rogue weighted selector rod) and like it just fine, I'm not rushing to get the DSSR put in although does sound like a good idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts