BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any issues pushing the knob all the way down? When I install the knob it doesn't lock into place and it is able to spin side to side. :confused2

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Which UUC shift kit do you have?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Well, I can't comment on the F10 ZHP knob compatibility but I am using the E46 ZHP knob with the Evo3 and have not experienced any issues. The Evo3 is adjustable for height; are you sure that the adjustment nut is fully tightened? That is, when you say the knob is rotating, are you sure that the knob is tight and it's actually the shift lever shaft that is turning instead?

ETA: I used a rubber mallet to seat the knob.

Reactions: STAGGEREDM5

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I can't comment on the F10 ZHP knob compatibility but I am using the E46 ZHP knob with the Evo3 and have not experienced any issues. The Evo3 is adjustable for height; are you sure that the adjustment nut is fully tightened? That is, when you say the knob is rotating, are you sure that the knob is tight and it's actually the shift lever shaft that is turning instead?

ETA: I used a rubber mallet to seat the knob.

It's the knob that doesn't sit all the way in and lock itself with the tab on the inner knob. I haven't used a rubber mallet, thinking I would break the plastic on top. I will try that tommorow though. Thanks for your input. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
My ZHP knob is illuminated and it held up to the pounding. I don't see why yours wouldn't. I've also seated it with a firm smack with the heel of my hand.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I was going to say to put a soft cloth over the shift knob and use a rubber or plastic mallet.

I just sold a 6 speed illuminated jewel and the plastic material is pretty stout... did you use a "soft" mallet or a metal hammer?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Just as suspected I cracked the illuminated 6 speed badge. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I'm sorry to hear that. As I said, I have no direct experience with the F10 knob but I don't think there is much variance between the BMW shift levers so that would mean that the knobs should all have a similar sized hole. The UUC shifter is designed to be compatible with OE shift knobs so I don't know where the interference that you are experiencing is coming from. I only had to hit the knob two or three times with the rubber mallet and I've even used a 48-oz mini sledge and 2x4 with a red shop towel on top of the knob and suffered no ill affects.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was going to say to put a soft cloth over the shift knob and use a rubber or plastic mallet.

I just sold a 6 speed illuminated jewel and the plastic material is pretty stout... did you use a "soft" mallet or a metal hammer?
Rubber mallet.:sad1:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Rubber mallet.:sad1:
That is very strange... perhaps the jewel style changed on the later knobs. I know on the normal ZHP knobs there is essentially no way they could break as they were a hard yet pliable plastic.

I would have sold you the 6 speed illuminated jewel I had for a good price but like I mentioned I just sold it :sad3:

You live and you learn I guess... Hopefully you were able to get the shift knob on firmly now, and then you can reinstall a new jewel once you source it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have this set up and it is great! What shift boot you guys are using? I'm looking to replace mine.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I have this set up and it is great! What shift boot you guys are using? I'm looking to replace mine.
I had used a black OE 540i Sport boot before. Now I have one that I got from RedlineGoods with tri-stitching.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Oh! I am having the same side to side issue as the OP mentioned after my install. Sounds like I need to gently get the knob locked in place!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I have an F10 knob in my car. I also have a UUC shifter but have no clue what model it is since it was there when I bought the car 4 years ago. Mine went on no problem. Also, I used the new F10 boot but with the E39 plastic ring on the bottom. There is a sticky/FAQ regarding this stuff.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Thanks guys - I have a UUC Evo3 which will hopefully be going in this weekend and just starting to research knob options. Obviously, the F10 M5 is the front-runner at the moment, but don't want to buy it if there's a known incompatibility with the UUC shifter.

In theory, the stock knob fits the UUC and the M5 knob is a direct replacement for the stock knob so it should work. However, I've been burned by similar logic in the past. :)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Oh! I am having the same side to side issue as the OP mentioned after my install. Sounds like I need to gently get the knob locked in place!
I have an F10 knob in my car. I also have a UUC shifter but have no clue what model it is since it was there when I bought the car 4 years ago. Mine went on no problem. Also, I used the new F10 boot but with the E39 plastic ring on the bottom. There is a sticky/FAQ regarding this stuff.
Also, do either of you guys have the "~10 degree CCW rotation" issue with the F10 knob and the UUC shifter?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Also, do either of you guys have the "~10 degree CCW rotation" issue with the F10 knob and the UUC shifter?

Thanks again!
Well now that you say that, mine does shift CCW...but I was hoping maybe its not fully seated. I'll have to check when I get home...??????

1 - 20 of 21 Posts