BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an Evo3 (without DSSR because they forgot to ship it!) and while it seems to have broken in a bit, the shifts are still a lot "notchier" than I remembered in my old E36. Also the effort to shift seems much higher than the stock shifter. I expected some extra oompf but am surprised with how harsh the shift feel is now. I wouldn't dare do a hard 1-2 shift for fear of crushing the synchros... it feels that rough. Before the changeover the shift felt nice and smooth. Now it's shorter, but something feels off.

Anyone else with the Evo3 notice this change from stock??

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I installed an Evo3 (without DSSR because they forgot to ship it!) and while it seems to have broken in a bit, the shifts are still a lot "notchier" than I remembered in my old E36. Also the effort to shift seems much higher than the stock shifter. I expected some extra oompf but am surprised with how harsh the shift feel is now. I wouldn't dare do a hard 1-2 shift for fear of crushing the synchros... it feels that rough. Before the changeover the shift felt nice and smooth. Now it's shorter, but something feels off.

The laws of Physics are affecting you and it's not unique to EVO3. ALL shorter shifters have less leverage and therefore require more force and exhibit more notchiness when used with light stock rod and knob. When the transmission is worn or degraded, this may be objectionable to some. In order to combat these issues, companies like UUC use a heavier shift rod with more inertia, compared to stock. This is the fundamental problem with any short shifter when used in conjunction with a notchy tranny and light OEM shift rod. The brand is not particularly relevant.

Synchros don't get crushed from harshness. You are only feeling your rough, worn tranny internals due to it's shorter shift and greater precision. Worn, flexible and sloppy OE shifter parts with longer throw for more leverage simply mask these symptoms.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I was so shocked because in my 94' E36 325is I put the UUC kit in (different model of course) and it made the throws shorter with no change to the feel of the tranny. Just short, smooth throws. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised though since I think the PO wasn't too nice to the car. When I changed out my clutch and FW for my CNS kit the old FW was so glazed I literally couldn't see any metal, just blue and black glazing. When i'm back in my shop i'll take a pic since I still have the old FW.

I didn't realize the UUC would transmit so much of the tranny feel but I guess I kind of like it; At least it's more communicative.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I cannot compare the EVO3 to a stock shifter, however, I purchased a car with the EVO3 already installed. I do not have the DSSR in it at this time, plan on installing it once the weather starts to break.

I can tell you when I purchased the car the shifter was a mess, not the fault of UUC, fault of the person who installed it. 4 of the shift cup screws were missing, other 2 were loose, snap ring was never seated correctly and the shifter was not seated in the shift cup. Only the heavy rubber shift boot was keeping the shifter somewhat in the shift cup. If you pulled up on the shifter, it would raise up out of the shifter cup about 1+ inch!

I have since installed the missing shifter cup screws, however, UUC sent screws that were too long and they actually were touching the shifter ball once they were tightened. This caused the shifter to bind, I had to installed small flat and lock washers to space the screws out so they would not rub, used them from computer D connectors I had laying around. Now the shifter cup is tight, screws do not rub and the snap ring is properly seated. I think the correct screw length was about 3 mm and what I was sent was around 6 mm?? I have pictures with my digital caliper if you need exact details.

I have since found the shifter yolk, the aluminum part the shifter actually sits in is rather sloppy on the trans. I have all new shifter yolk bushings to install as well. The shifter has more side to side slop than expected and you can see most of the slop is in the shifter yolk bushings. There are 2 smaller bushings at the front of the yolk and a larger bushing just behind where the shifter drops in the yolk.

What I can say, is the shifter is a bit notchy, but not too bad. A bit harder when cold, but does get much better within a few blocks. I think trans fluid can bit of improvement. I have also installed a ZHP weighted shift knob and it also seems to shift more precisely and a bit easier. Kind of like a gated shifter I would guess. I think Tischer may still have the ZHP weighted shift know shifted for around $65?

Make sure you used moly lube on the stainless ball and cup and check to make sure all other parts are slop free.

I will be much happier once I can pull the shifter yolk, install all the new bushings, really clean up the shift cup installation and use Loctite and get the DSSR installed. I think this will make for a much better overall shifter experience.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I had the EVO3 shifter with the DSSR and I took it for granted. I didn't think I needed it and swapped in the OEM 545 "short shifter" with the stock rod and noticed what youre describing "harder to shift and not as smooth". I did change the trans fluid over the weekend and that made a significant difference.
You do need the DSSR and try changing the trans fluid and you should be golden.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
UUC = Sucks does not really provide any details, please elaborate.

Is the problem with UUC the company?

Is the problem UUC short shifter for BMW?

Is the problem even with a UUC Evo 3 for BMW?

Is the UUC Evo 3 the worst short shifter out there of many shifters available for our car? Is so, please provide some useful details on why this may be the case.

This is kind of like saying sports teams XYZ sucks, may be your opinion, but it helps if there are some details to lay out the issue(s).

I will have to agree that the pre Evo 3 shifters may have had some issues, but they were mainly with the height adjustment and isolation material from my understanding.

I cannot compare what I have to anything else, I can say my installation was poorly executed, however, now that I am cleaning up the installation issues, I am reasonably happy with the outcome. I do not think I am unhappy enough to run out an spend aother $300 to change my current set up.

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Oh for goodness sake! Bimmerbear and Nightkrawler have some bone to pick with UUC, so you have to take their comments with a grain of salt. Each of the UUC/DSSR and Rogue/WSSR are great setups and actually very similar. Given that you already have the UUC/DSSR, just install the DSSR, get a bigger shift knob, and change your tranny fluid, and I strongly suspect you'll be very happy.

--Peter

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I am resonably happy my current set up.

I just think it is rather counter productive to make factless statements when other people are looking for information.

I assume any short shift kit will increase effort, just the laws of physics, less leverage, however, there appear to be some options to counter the loss of leverage with mass in both the shift knob and shift linkage.

I think the only way for anyone to really determine what they want and like is to be able to drive a car configured a specific way and feel for themselves.

It is probably VERY hard to put into words the way a shifter feels and responds.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
i'll sum it up for you..... uuc sucks.
Stay out of the thread if you are going to post useless comments like this.

I have the Evo3 and dssr and couldn't be happier. Did you change the trans fluid when you installed the shifter? I am kind of surprised you installed just the shifter if you are getting the dssr as well. I know the job wasn't fun as I don't have small hands and would have waited to do both at the same time.

My shifter is notchier than stock, but nothing as you described. I couldn't imagine not having it now as the stock shifter is like rowing a boat.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The DSSR was missing from the box and my car was up on jack stands (my DD) so I didn't have a choice other than to just do the install. I'll consider the DSSR and I did change my tranny fluid (well my indy did). At the very least the DSSR should make the shifter feel more precise although I was surprised to see how tight it already was without it. If I install the DSSR i'll post an update.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,411 Posts

Are you using the stock shift knob and boot?

Install the DSSR and report back to us. I'd love to hear your results.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I will still be notchy with the DSSR. I've tried the Octane/WSR and the Evo3/DSSR and couldnt tell much of a difference in terms of notchiness. The WSR does reduce effort some, but both kits can greatly from a weighted shift knob.
I agree with you on the notchiness with the DSSR, but I could tell a significant difference in effort between the Evo3/DSSR and the Octane/WSR. I use the stock shift knob with my Rogue kit and it's prefect for me. Throws are shorter with a minor increase in effort. The effort increase with the Evo3/DSSR was, for me, unacceptable with the stock knob.

I believe that the WSR is heavier than the DSSR. That's why most people choose to "band-aid" the Evo3/DSSR with a heavier shift knob. Some people like the notchy feel without a heavy knob, but I don't.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Interesting how this thread popped up today. It's interesting because today while I was swapping out my OEM shifter for the E60 545 unit, I discovered that my shifter isn't OEM at all. It's a UUC. Comparing the two side by side (UUC vs. 545) shows them to be nearly identical in height (when the UUC is adjusted all the way down) and pivot location. I've opted to return the 545 shifter and get the DSSR which will be here tomorrow thanks to Aaron at Brecus. :M5thumbs: I had no idea that my shifter was anything other than stock although my shift effort is higher than other cars I've driven. Notchy but precise is how I have described it. I'm running the weighted ZHP knob and will be happy to share my opinion about the addition of the DSSR, good or bad, once installed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do they make a ZHP in wood trim? I have a carmel interior with a wood shift knob and I think a black one would look out of place.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Do they make a ZHP in wood trim? I have a carmel interior with a wood shift knob and I think a black one would look out of place.
I don't believe so.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I believe there are some aftermarket knobs that are stainless or all aluminum, kind of industrial looking.

Not sure this is what you are looking for, but there are other non ZHP weighted units available.

You may even search around and find something semi-custom as well?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.