BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my UUC shifter installed yesterday and had a chance to get some miles on it today. First, if you own a 6 speed M5, you NEED this shifter. There is absolutely no vibration felt or heard. The feel is very positive and precise. Basically, what you would normally come to expect out of a car like this. It is so much more pleasing to drive now, it truly completes the package of being a sports sedan. Additionally, throws are 2 inches shorter! I have mine set at the lowest setting (height adjustment).

As far as install, I did mine on jack stands and it took all of 4 hours. A bit longer than I had anticipated but I really took my time with it.
The instructions are "good" but the dont represent the E60 M5. I had to remove the center section of the exhaust and heat shielding to access the linkage underneath. I honestly I could have saved about an hour and a half by doing this right away but I messed around with trying to remove just the heat shields and squeezing my hands up there and doing everything by feel. It was quite frustrating and time consuming this way so if you do it yourself, just remove the exhaust and shielding. It took me all of 20 minutes to do so and made for very easy access. If you have any questions, fire away!

-Matt

·
Registered
62 Posts
Got my UUC shifter installed yesterday and had a chance to get some miles on it today. First, if you own a 6 speed M5, you NEED this shifter. There is absolutely no vibration felt or heard. The feel is very positive and precise. Basically, what you would normally come to expect out of a car like this. It is so much more pleasing to drive now, it truly completes the package of being a sports sedan. Additionally, throws are 2 inches shorter! I have mine set at the lowest setting (height adjustment).

As far as install, I did mine on jack stands and it took all of 4 hours. A bit longer than I had anticipated but I really took my time with it.
The instructions are "good" but the dont represent the E60 M5. I had to remove the center section of the exhaust and heat shielding to access the linkage underneath. I honestly I could have saved about an hour and a half by doing this right away but I messed around with trying to remove just the heat shields and squeezing my hands up there and doing everything by feel. It was quite frustrating and time consuming this way so if you do it yourself, just remove the exhaust and shielding. It took me all of 20 minutes to do so and made for very easy access. If you have any questions, fire away!

-Matt
Thanks a ton, Matt .............. or is that a 1000Kg yawnnnn

I've had 3 VR4s. Mitsu does the same with that model. They believe because it is a GT there should be no effort nor precision. The VR4 and M5 shifters actually feel a lot alike. I changed to a StS in each VR4 which dramatically reduced throws, lowered and improved feel with no vibration ............. and the available shifters for that car are no where near as well built as the UUC.

Glad to hear the experience has been good so far.

You say you have the shifter set at its lowest height position. How much lower is that and what's your impression (still too high, just right, too low)? And where did you purchase.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got mine from Turnermotorsports. The lowest setting doesn't seem much lower than stock, 1/2"-3/4" maybe. Not a huge difference but noticeable. I could stand for a little lower but its still perfect....Buy this thing! You'll never look back!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Thanks for the review Matt, I greatly appreciate it. It's always nice to get someones opinion on a product before purchasing. How smooth are the gear changes being that the throw is shorter and the height is also shorter (although height is adjustable)? And are you using the stock shift knob? If not which one.

Thanks again.

Oh and I just noticed you can move the UUC SS from your upcoming mods list to your performance mods list in your sig :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
^^^ Thanks! I'll have to update that.

Im still utilizing the stock knob. Gear changes are very smooth in transition and actually seems to follow the pattern easier, almost like it wants to go there for you, especially going into 5th. The feel is much more weighted and engagement into gears in very positive (almost notchy but in a very good way). You actually feel whats going on vs. the stock shifter feels vague and you dont actually feel anything until its actually engaging the gear.

I can't stress enough how this shifter should be at the very top of any 6-speeders mod list. Even if you aren't into modding, with something you do so often....something you are always using everytime you drive your car, it's well worth the investment. As I've mentioned before, it truly completes this car. :noSMG: Definitely a quality piece and to me, worth double the price. Don't tell UUC!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Well based on your satisfaction I will likely be ordering this soon. I was wondering if you or anyone else has tried the clutch arm bushing kit that UUC offers that is listed just above this SSK on TurnerMotorsport's webpage? I complained to the dealer about the clicking but they just lubed it and that was it. It still isn't perfectly smooth. Just curious if these help as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I personally don't have any experience with the clutch arm bushings. Never caused any issues or made any noise. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Finally got around to installing the kit, it went smoothly aside from one hiccup. After installing the shifter initially, it looked like the car was in 5th gear (shift shaft angled to the right 10 degrees or so) when it was in neutral. I double checked the installation and that I had it installed correctly per the instructions and everything was good. So upon further investigation I found that the stock shifter shaft is ANGLED about 10-12 degrees to the left. The bend occurs ABOVE the pivot ball. This is obviously there to keep the shift shaft vertical when the transmission is in neutral. The UUC shifter had no such bend, but it does now :) . I had to put it in the shop press and use my caliper (measuring tool that goes down to .001") to make sure the bend was the correct degree. Re-installed and now it is perfect!

Also I got only one *****-clip (front pivot pin - toward trans) and it was too long to work even if there were 2, so I re-used the stockers as they weren't damaged anyway.

One question I do have Matt is whether your shifter looks cocked to the right when it is in neutral? Looking from the back seat it is easier to determine. If it doesn't, then I'm wondering if they sent me the wrong shift lever or something? It is labeled as E60 M5 so I doubt it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One question I do have Matt is whether your shifter looks cocked to the right when it is in neutral? Looking from the back seat it is easier to determine. If it doesn't, then I'm wondering if they sent me the wrong shift lever or something? It is labeled as E60 M5 so I doubt it.
Yes, mine is slightly to the right.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I also only got the one long pin. Here is a pic of what mine looks like in neutral. And also a pic for those who wish to see the difference of the 2 shifters.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I also only got the one long pin. Here is a pic of what mine looks like in neutral. And also a pic for those who wish to see the difference of the 2 shifters.

What a bummer? I was all set to order this SSK kit for my 07 M5 but then I read about the shifter cocking to the right in neutral. Is that something of a concern or does it just look funny. Just curious if the folks on the board that has done this mod find this tolerable. Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its minimal at best. To be honest, I didnt even realize it was slightly to right until tdonnel asked the question and I went to look. Don't let the little bit of an angle keep you from buying it. The shifting feel and action is FAR better with the UUC over stock. Trust me, you want this.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I didn't notice anything odd either. I think I'm starting to get really use to the shifter and the car/trans bec I'm cracking off 1-2 shifts now real nice. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Just make sure all the parts are in the box before installing.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yes it is a bit disconcerting to realize that it was cocked to the right, but I found this before I had finalized the installation (before re-installing heat sheilds and exhaust etc). If anyone would like to have me press the shifter straight (I have a shop press) I can do it for a nominal fee (say you pay shipping to me and then $20 shipped back including the bend). I measured the difference in shaft height from the side of the stocker with the lower pivot flush on my arbor plate. The difference in the height of the shaft just above the ball and then just above the chamfered edge (where the shaft the knob slides onto begins to get larger in diameter) was .375". So I bent the new shifter rod just above the ball (like the stocker - as to not effect the shifts) to result in the same difference between the 2 measurements. Here are a couple of pics of mine now:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts