BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my car back today with the UUC installed. I love the shorter throw and the direct feel. I do have one question though. Does the shifter loosen up at all? It's really notchy going from gear to gear....even with the DSSR.

·
Registered
947 Posts
someday said:
Got my car back today with the UUC installed. I love the shorter throw and the direct feel. I do have one question though. Does the shifter loosen up at all? It's really notchy going from gear to gear....even with the DSSR.

its excellent isnt it. Always really notchy when cold, but never a problem once warm. Does take some getting used to though. May also want to check height setttings etc as on the EVO3 this is adjustable.

cheers

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I have the rogue ssk + wsr. It too is very notchy when cold, gets better when warmed up... kinda like a female. :15:

Anyway... I find it is still kinda notchy in first and second even when warm. Is this normal or is there some kind of adjustment to be done?

When it is cold I find it grinds sometimes into second, nothing too severe but I just wanted to know if anyone else has this. Same question as before, can some adjustment be done?

- Kin

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hi:

I too have the UUC Evo 3 SSK & DSSR installed, along with RP synchromax tranny fluid. My observations are:

1: At cold, it actually shifts from 1st to 2nd. The OEM shifter required weight training when cold.

2: The OEM shifter is "sloppy and easy"; this means 1 finger shifts, when warmed up are the norm. This is a habit I developed from alot of miles on the OEM shifter. (see item #4)

3: The UUC is firm, at any temperature. It does not get sloppy ever. (Yes a little tight cold, but nothing compared to the OEM). Remember also I put in RP tranny fluid at the same time, so YMMV.

4: Once you get used to the "notchiness" (firmness, positive tactile feedback) whatever you want to call it, you will loathe the original OEM shifter. My point is that the notchiness is the norm, the sloppyness of the OEM, although we are used to it, is the abnbormal.

5: I aint missed a shift yet with the UUC. Note I said yet.

6: Kin Mak: It should not grind going into 2nd ever.

More to come on my observations of my other mods. :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
I also have the Evo3/DSSR installed and it performs flawlessly for me. Much much better that the long throws of the stock shifter.

·
Registered
101 Posts
someday said:
YES, the shifter action will become significantly smoother after about 1000 miles. I would recommend changing to Royal Purple tranny fluid, and having properly installed aftermarket tranny mounts improves shift action as well.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have the same problem in second gear. my car actaully doesn't go into second. I pm'd Rob and he said

"About a month or two ago, we realized that some early M5s were fitted with a carrier from an alternate manufacturer (BMW uses multiple sources for some components), and this alternate version had one part of the casting that could interfere with the DSSR, usually in 2nd gear. This part is relatively rare and we had not seen it before.

We have since revised the DSSR to be compatible with the alternate carrier and will gladly exchange the part for you. Please send me your direct shipping address."

I have been waiting for him to get back to me though for like 3 weeks, with no second gear, kinda want to drive my car off a cliff, first to third shifts suck! Rob if you're there please get in touch with me, I cannot handle it anymore...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I drove a Dinan S2 M5 with an UUC short shifter in year 2002. It was really hard to get into gear and I hated it. Though the factory shift is a bit vague in spots, I never really understood the need to mod that part of the car. Is it possible that the UUC short shift was incorrectly installed or something? It was bad and I had to fight to notch the car into 2nd. In a street race that would have been an absolute liablility. After that experience, I could never ever relate to the short shift kit mods. Maybe the one I experienced was flawed or incorrectly installed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts