BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed the Evo 3 shortshifter from UUC this afternoon. After hearing all the great comments about this product - I decided it was to be my first mod to the M.

In a word - WOW. I can't believe I went this long without this modification. It completely transforms the stock butter shifter to a shorter WAY WAY more precise snick snick snick affair. I am immensely pleased with this product! lovelove

Shift effort is comparable to stock - excellent feel - I have it set to the lowest height position and I definitely like that setting the best. For those of you that have been contemplating this product - I can assure you it is very high quality and works flawlessly. There is no additional noise or vibration that I noticed. It really does transform the shifting from a mild mannered sedan feel to a very precise sports car feel. The old shifter feels very sloppy in comparison.

Now - in my efforts to install the shifter I do have a tip that will make install MUCH easier. Its a small tip that makes a big difference. If some of this seems like greek to you it will be much clearer when you have the instructions and have seen how everything fits together.

In the instructions you can either remove the "carrier" for the shifter or you can leave the carrier in place. It appears the only reason for removing the carrier is to have better access to installing the new ERK shifter cup onto the carrier. There are 6 tiny little hex bolts that attach the ERK cup to the carrier. The main problem with leaving the carrier in place is access to installing the tiny little hex bolts into the side of the carrier/ERK. You have VERY little space to thread these bolts and adult hands are really to large to get the job done.

So my tip? First - don't remove the carrier from the car. The carrier clip near the transmission is a royal PITA to reach - especially if you are attempting this job using only ramps like I did. Space is limited under the car and not removing the carrier really saves alot of time and aggravation.

OK - so how do you make installing the little hex bolts easier?

First - stuff a rag under the hole where the shifter comes through the floor. You DON'T want to have one of these little suckers fall through and end up back in an area you can't reach.

Second - the main problem with the tiny hex bolts is getting them threaded because space is very tight - it is a real challenge to just thread them by hand. So - take the included wrench - or if you surf you can use an old FCS fin key - and cut off a straight section (about 3/4 inch) of the hex wrench. This little wrench piece will allow you to slide the bolt down next to the carrier and begin threading. This tip is mentioned in UUC's instructions - HOWEVER - my tip that makes it so much easier is this:

Put the hex bolt onto the end of the wrench. Then take a piece of scotch or masking tape and wrap the tape around the end of the 3/4 inch wrench piece AND the head of the bolt. This will keep the bolt securely attached to the little wrench so that you can fiddle with getting it positioned and then threading the bolt - and you will have to fiddle around in a tight area to get the bolt threaded. Once you have the bolt threaded a gentle pull of the wrench piece will separate the wrench/tape from the hex bolt. You can then use the bigger hex wrench to tighten the ERK bolts.

The tape makes a big difference since you don't have to worry about the bolt falling off the wrench while you are feeling around for the hole.

I also got the DSSR - and was going to install it as well - however the clip holding the front portion of the stock rod on was really hard to reach (especially since the car was only on ramps = less area to move around) and really hard to get off - so I saved that portion of the install for another day. Installing the DSSR looks simple except for getting that darn clip off. I may have a pro do that job and save myself the aggravation - unless Rob or someone else has a tip for getting off the retainer clip. The nice thing is that I will get to see the precision difference between the EVO3 with stock selector rod and the EVO3 with the UUC DSSR.

OK - so thats my review! I would estimate it took about 3 hours to do the install - but I do work slow and deliberate. Now that I have done it once - doing it again would probably take half the time.

I love this product! :1:Great job Rob and UUC - thumbs up.:byebye:

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Wrightsville Beast said:
I also got the DSSR - and was going to install it as well - however the clip holding the front portion of the stock rod on was really hard to reach (especially since the car was only on ramps = less area to move around) and really hard to get off - so I saved that portion of the install for another day. Installing the DSSR looks simple except for getting that darn clip off. I may have a pro do that job and save myself the aggravation - unless Rob or someone else has a tip for getting off the retainer clip.
The clip is easy to remove. It helps to have a pair of leather work gloves. Before you put the leather gloves on, use your bare hand to feel the clip above the transmission. Rotate it so it is pointed away from you. Now put on the leather glove and simply push the clip away from you with your thumb. It will eventually pop off. Sometimes you have to work at it for a while and other times it pops off on your first try. As long as you believe you can get the clip off, you will be able to do it! :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave - I was getting frustrated trying to get my circlip plyers up there - and then a flat bladed screwdriver. I tried with my thumb but the pressure got to be too much. I'll try again with a glove.

I wish I had a real lift - it would make climbing around under there much easier.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Wrightsville Beast said:
Thanks Dave - I was getting frustrated trying to get my circlip plyers up there - and then a flat bladed screwdriver. I tried with my thumb but the pressure got to be too much. I'll try again with a glove.
If you try using circlip pliers or a screwdriver, you'll only end up hurting yourself. (Ask me how I know this!) And bare hands usually won't work on the clip because you end up hurting your fingertip. But a leather shop glove has always done the trick for me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just a follow up thanks to Wrightsville on this one!

I'm the proud owner of of a new UUC Evo3 and would like to endorse the recommendation to leave the carrier in. The tape idea works great, and is easy. In fact, I reused the same piece of scotch tape for each of the six allen bolts, and they all stayed put until threaded. One additional comment that I would add is that the clearance for working with the three bolts on the right side of the carrier is very minimal, and I would suggest making the allen wrench 'piece' as small as you can handle. I suggest 1/2 inch to 5/8 inch.

The toughest part of the process for me was getting the OE nylon cup out of the carrier. It's surprising, but set yourself up to crank on that little bugger, and it is quite obvious when it's loose.

This was a great improvement, and for all of you that prefer high return on investment - this one's a winner.
:wroom:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Althougth I like the Evo 3 I do not think it's so dramtic as so many have put it, it's nice but not oustanding...Having to do it over again now that I know they offer custom setups I would go with 65 percent reduction (mechanical) and 1 inch lower than maximum lowering they already offer.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have the EVO3 - the only downside to it is the increase in notchiness - but then that stands for any SSK.

I have since invested in a Rogue WSR as the DSSR is not readily available - and the WSR is compatible - will post any feedback once it is on.

My mechanic took the easier option (dunno if it is easier) but insted of feeling his way around and fidgetting he just dropped the front end of the gearbox and swapped the SSK over - took a bit longer, but job was done properly........

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Jayson said:
Althougth I like the Evo 3 I do not think it's so dramtic as so many have put it, it's nice but not oustanding...Having to do it over again now that I know they offer custom setups I would go with 65 percent reduction (mechanical) and 1 inch lower than maximum lowering they already offer.
My caution on this is that the radical reduction of such customization will not be to everyone's liking... some certainly will like it, but most would not. Assess your own personal needs.

Jayson, if you really are interested in doing that, I'll modify your current shifter with the lower height at no charge - please call me to arrange the same-day swap.

Whizzkid11 said:
I have the EVO3 - the only downside to it is the increase in notchiness - but then that stands for any SSK.

I have since invested in a Rogue WSR as the DSSR is not readily available - and the WSR is compatible - will post any feedback once it is on.
???

I believe we do have the correct DSSR available for the E39 M5 at this time, available for immediate shipment.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Rob Levinson said:
My caution on this is that the radical reduction of such customization will not be to everyone's liking... some certainly will like it, but most would not. Assess your own personal needs.

Jayson, if you really are interested in doing that, I'll modify your current shifter with the lower height at no charge - please call me to arrange the same-day swap.

???

I believe we do have the correct DSSR available for the E39 M5 at this time, available for immediate shipment.

Wow sweet deal, I gotta look at my shedule now and see when I can fit it in.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Rob Levinson said:

???

Very valid points indeed as well, many people are not as extreame as me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have recently fitted an EVO3 and DSSR to my car. I dropped the gearbox cross-member and found access to the carrier pin to remove the carrier quite straightforward. The shift quality in terms of range of movement is greatly improved. I no longer render my passenger unconscious when selecting second gear. The gate is slightly heavier but that is easily coped with. All-in-all a worthwhile mod. Curse the Customs department for milking an extra £120 from me following direct shipment from the US.

Dave

·
Registered
616 Posts
Dave Andrews said:
I have recently fitted an EVO3 and DSSR to my car. I dropped the gearbox cross-member and found access to the carrier pin to remove the carrier quite straightforward. The shift quality in terms of range of movement is greatly improved. I no longer render my passenger unconscious when selecting second gear. The gate is slightly heavier but that is easily coped with. All-in-all a worthwhile mod. Curse the Customs department for milking an extra £120 from me following direct shipment from the US.

Dave
£120 - WOW!!! and I thought me and foxy got ripped!!!

Rob Levinson said:

I have on 3 occasions tried to order the DSSR, twice from UUC directly and once through Beastpower - but it appeared to be on backorder each time I ordered and the waiting period too long for my schedule... UUC did, however, offer to ship it to London for me at no extra cost (US shipping price) before refunding me.

Oh well - guess for the end user they do pretty much the same job. I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.

A UK supplier would be a worthwhile investment Rob!

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Whizzkid11 said:
Oh well - guess for the end user they do pretty much the same job. I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.
Well... not at all. The DSSR performs a very measureable function.

A UK supplier would be a worthwhile investment Rob!
Your wish is my command. :) Actually, already done, with one of the most-respected names in the UK performance market. TBA shortly.

- Rob

·
Registered
12,775 Posts
Dave Andrews said:
I no longer render my passenger unconscious when selecting second gear.

Dave
:1: :1: Thanks for the laugh, it brough back early driving days with the Beast before the SSK.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
262 Posts
i've had these parts laying in my garage for a couple of months and just want to say thanks to the people who contributed to this thread, it motivated me to do the install the SSK+DSSR myself. the modified allen wrench (about 3/4") and tape is a great trick to avoid having to remove the carrier. installing the DSSR was a bit hairy as things are pretty tight down there but nonetheless, a perfect fit.

i had one screw up though. i got too confident with the tape wrap that i didn't feel the need to put a rag to catch it if it falls. now i'm missing one hex bolt. :grrrrr: anyone know if i can source this at Lowe's or if UUC is reading this, can you send me a couple? :byebye:

been driving with this mod for a couple days now and pretty much echo what everyone else have been saying... great mod!

-joe

·
Registered
944 Posts
Rob Levinson said:
Well... not at all. The DSSR performs a very measureable function.

Your wish is my command. :) Actually, already done, with one of the most-respected names in the UK performance market. TBA shortly.

- Rob
Excellent product - interested in who the UK disti is.

cheers

·
Vendor
619 Posts
cebu said:
i had one screw up though. i got too confident with the tape wrap that i didn't feel the need to put a rag to catch it if it falls. now i'm missing one hex bolt. :grrrrr: anyone know if i can source this at Lowe's or if UUC is reading this, can you send me a couple? :byebye:
Joe, we'd be glad to send you out a new bolt at no charge... but I can't tell who you are from your user ID. Can you shoot me an e-mail with your address? Thanks!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Rob Levinson said:
Joe, we'd be glad to send you out a new bolt at no charge... but I can't tell who you are from your user ID. Can you shoot me an e-mail with your address? Thanks!
wow, talk about quick response. thanks Rob! :thumbsup:
just sent you an email with my info.

-joe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts