BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am having an issue intalling the UUC DSSR on my M5. It currently has a DINAN ssk, and after trying to install the DSSR both ways, it appears that it will not work with the DINAN ssk. It is hitting the arm, as pictured, not allowing the car to go into 1st, 2nd, or Reverse. I checked UUC's website, they say the DSSR will work with all Short Shift Kits, including stock, but the DINAN kit must be different. It appears as though the bottom of the DINAN ssk doesnt come down far enough to clear the arm like the factory design? Hopefully i'm wrong and not doing something right, but there are only so many ways, two to be exact, that this DSSR can go on.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I believe you have to clearance that section of the shift carrier. I used to have both the UUC SSK and DSSR - it was mentioned in the instructions for one or the other.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I am having an issue intalling the UUC DSSR on my M5. It currently has a DINAN ssk, and after trying to install the DSSR both ways, it appears that it will not work with the DINAN ssk. It is hitting the arm, as pictured, not allowing the car to go into 1st, 2nd, or Reverse. I checked UUC's website, they say the DSSR will work with all Short Shift Kits, including stock, but the DINAN kit must be different. It appears as though the bottom of the DINAN ssk doesnt come down far enough to clear the arm like the factory design? Hopefully i'm wrong and not doing something right, but there are only so many ways, two to be exact, that this DSSR can go on.

Did you happen to remove the shifter arm at all during the install? From this angle, I can't tell if the pivot ball of the shifter is fully seated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe you have to clearance that section of the shift carrier. I used to have both the UUC SSK and DSSR - it was mentioned in the instructions for one or the other.

Good luck!
is there a special way for doing that?

Did you happen to remove the shifter arm at all during the install? From this angle, I can't tell if the pivot ball of the shifter is fully seated.
I didnt remove the shifter arm, the trans however was out from doing the clutch. In the processed of putting everything back together and this is how i stumbled upon this issue. the factory linkage went on fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Good luck!
Short version
I had heard there had been some clearance issues with M5s years ago. I think some owners did grind down the carrier. But in this case I would be hesitant to grind off that much of the carrier. Perhaps the Dinan ssk does not sit as low as the UUC ssk. Rontgen, how long ago did you have the DSSR? Do you remember if you had as much interference as is pictured here?

Long Version
I installed a DSSR on my 530 back in 2011 to go along with the UUC ssk. I had read of some e39 owners having clearance issues so I called UUC prior to my install. They said that was a problem years ago on the M5s only and it would not be an issue (if memory serves I believe they also said the DSSR had been redesigned).

In any case after the DSSR install I could not shift into reverse, all the other gears were fine. The DSSR was just slightly hitting the underside of the carrier when trying to shift into reverse. The fix was to just grind a couple mm off the carrier. But it was only a couple mm. It was actually initially very hard to tell there was even contact, it took a while to figure out what the problem was.

Nardo your interference looks much more severe than mine, but it is a little hard to tell form that pic. I do know that the I6 carrier is a different part # from the V8 cars (540s and M5s seem to share the same part # 25111222726). Perhaps other M5/540 owners who installed a DSSR can chime in and say of they had more or less clearance than you.

M55555 might also be correct and the pivot ball may not be completely seated causing the lower attachment point to sit too high, which could be causing the DSSR to hit the carrier.

It may also be worth it to double check with UUC to make sure they shipped the correct part, perhaps there was a mix up.

As far as your question on how to grind down the carrier. Some people just used a dremel and ground it down while still on the car. On my car we had pulled things apart again in the process of trying to figure out what was going on, so we just ended up using a bench grinder on the part of the carrier that was marked up from contact. I am not sure what the official UUC method is.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
From what I understand about the Dinan SSK and the fact that side by side comparisons have shown identical measurements to the e60 545i shifter, I hope that the pivot ball is just not seated completely flush in the holder. I have the e60 shifter with UUC DSSR and my clearance is more than enough. I have a 2001.

Sent from my Lenovo A5500-F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Short version
I had heard there had been some clearance issues with M5s years ago. I think some owners did grind down the carrier. But in this case I would be hesitant to grind off that much of the carrier. Perhaps the Dinan ssk does not sit as low as the UUC ssk. Rontgen, how long ago did you have the DSSR? Do you remember if you had as much interference as is pictured here?

Long Version
I installed a DSSR on my 530 back in 2011 to go along with the UUC ssk. I had read of some e39 owners having clearance issues so I called UUC prior to my install. They said that was a problem years ago on the M5s only and it would not be an issue (if memory serves I believe they also said the DSSR had been redesigned).

In any case after the DSSR install I could not shift into reverse, all the other gears were fine. The DSSR was just slightly hitting the underside of the carrier when trying to shift into reverse. The fix was to just grind a couple mm off the carrier. But it was only a couple mm. It was actually initially very hard to tell there was even contact, it took a while to figure out what the problem was.

Nardo your interference looks much more severe than mine, but it is a little hard to tell form that pic. I do know that the I6 carrier is a different part # from the V8 cars (540s and M5s seem to share the same part # 25111222726). Perhaps other M5/540 owners who installed a DSSR can chime in and say of they had more or less clearance than you.

M55555 might also be correct and the pivot ball may not be completely seated causing the lower attachment point to sit too high, which could be causing the DSSR to hit the carrier.

It may also be worth it to double check with UUC to make sure they shipped the correct part, perhaps there was a mix up.

As far as your question on how to grind down the carrier. Some people just used a dremel and ground it down while still on the car. On my car we had pulled things apart again in the process of trying to figure out what was going on, so we just ended up using a bench grinder on the part of the carrier that was marked up from contact. I am not sure what the official UUC method is.

From what I understand about the Dinan SSK and the fact that side by side comparisons have shown identical measurements to the e60 545i shifter, I hope that the pivot ball is just not seated completely flush in the holder. I have the e60 shifter with UUC DSSR and my clearance is more than enough. I have a 2001.

Sent from my Lenovo A5500-F using Tapatalk
I double checked the box it came it, it was labeled as an e39 m5 DSSR, but then again there is a chance it may have had the wrong one in it. I do however want to double check the Dinan SSK to make sure it is seated right.

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/EVO3_INSTALLS/EVO3_SHIFTER_INSTALL_USSE6.pdf

Check out page 8. I had the shift carrier out of the car, so I just used a Dremel with a carbide bit to clearance it just in case. I would think you could do the same with the carrier installed, also.
In this it looks like they only expect you to dremel the bottom edge of the carrier, my DSSR is resting next to it, im off by about an 1/8 of an inch, would need to take off quite a bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts