BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the UUC Direct Fit clutch, tranny mounts, EVO3 SSK and DSSR. I was told it was all in stock but the package arrived without the EVO3 :confused2 . Hope it comes in by Monday the 29th. because that's my appt. day to get it all installed at European Performance (BMW only specialty shop). If not, I'll have to put off the date until the EVO3 arrives. I'm also hoping I don't need a new flywheel. Cross my fingers. I'll most definately report back on the clutch when it becomes broken in. It'll take a month or so because I only drive about 1K miles / month. Anyhow, here are some shots.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
If not, I'll have to put off the date until the EVO3 arrives.
I see you also subscribe to the "conservation of labor" theory (if you need to take something apart, replace/upgrade things necessarily removed at the same time or nearby!). Parts look good. Let us know how it goes. :M5launch:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Congrats! Please keep us posted

Regards,

Marion

·
Registered
78 Posts
When my trasmission mount went soft on my M3, I installed the UUC red TME's and loved the feel of them, they make shifting feel a lot more direct and mechanical.

Good luck with the Evo 3 and great choice. Hope it gets their on time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Boostmiser -

I'm anxious to know how your UUC install and performance goes. I just had my local dealer install the same UUC clutch kit with no flywheel. I got it back last night and...I've got incredible vibration and shudder going into 1st gear and reverse. Incredible to the point of thinking something is very wrong.

I've read alot of UUC-related entries on the Board and it sounds like my flywheel may need to be balanced, but I'm not sure.

I plan on calling UUC on Monday to find out if this is a bad install or just a break-in period for the clutch.

Good luck!

P.S. I've got the Rogue SSK and love it with the new fast-action clutch response from the UUC.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Glad to see another, I am curouis to see if yours goes good or if you might have the first & reverse shudder as well, I hope it works because I havent given up yet and some good news would be nice to hear, Josh

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeh, I just read all that. Figures...with my luck, I'll have problems too. Shi$$

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Regarding the shudder, from what I read the flywheel should be resurfaced (or replaced if too worn) before installing the new clutch, as the materials bite more aggressively and you will get shudder if you don't condition the flywheel surface properly. Maybe that's just an excuse, but since it's a lot of work to take everything apart again, it seems prudent to at least try this.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Oh heck...another case of shudder. :( I wonder how using the UUC pressure plate but with a stock disc would work out? ****. I'm wondering if I should just put a stock setup in and forget about it for another 26k miles. :grrrrr:

·
Registered
784 Posts
boostmiser said:
Just bought the UUC Direct Fit clutch, tranny mounts, EVO3 SSK and DSSR. I was told it was all in stock but the package arrived without the EVO3 :confused2 . Hope it comes in by Monday the 29th. because that's my appt. day to get it all installed at European Performance (BMW only specialty shop). If not, I'll have to put off the date until the EVO3 arrives. I'm also hoping I don't need a new flywheel. Cross my fingers. I'll most definately report back on the clutch when it becomes broken in. It'll take a month or so because I only drive about 1K miles / month. Anyhow, here are some shots.
I saw the thread and know that the folks from UUC are at the track this week-end or I would have called on your behalf.

If there is a delay with the shifter let me know and I will gladly ship you one that we have in stock and then simply have Rob and his team ship us one when able.

Take care

Shadowman

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
shadowman said:
I saw the thread and know that the folks from UUC are at the track this week-end or I would have called on your behalf.

If there is a delay with the shifter let me know and I will gladly ship you one that we have in stock and then simply have Rob and his team ship us one when able.

Take care

Shadowman
That's very kind of you ... thanks. I'll call them Monday and if they don't have them in stock, I'll give you a call.

I just hope I don't have this shudder problem. The guy installing the clutch is very knowledable about BMW's and he vouches for UUC quality. I already know he is going to scuff the flywheel surface, but if it's a balancing issue, then I'm sunk. I'm wondering if I should just wait or maybe bite the bullet and buy a stock flywheel just in case (don't think I can return them so it might as well go in while it's apart).

·
Registered
784 Posts
boostmiser said:
That's very kind of you ... thanks. I'll call them Monday and if they don't have them in stock, I'll give you a call.

I just hope I don't have this shudder problem. The guy installing the clutch is very knowledable about BMW's and he vouches for UUC quality. I already know he is going to scuff the flywheel surface, but if it's a balancing issue, then I'm sunk. I'm wondering if I should just wait or maybe bite the bullet and buy a stock flywheel just in case (don't think I can return them so it might as well go in while it's apart).
No worries on any of the issues. I remain confident that the UUC team will insure a smooth install. With regards to the balancing....you share that you would be sunk.... why?? The OEM flywheel and new pieces can ALL be balanced.

At the moment I would relax, you will be fine. Like your tech shared, your trust was well placed with UUC and their products.

Shadowman

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
shadowman said:
The OEM flywheel and new pieces can ALL be balanced.

Shadowman
How much would this cost? What tools are involved? I wonder the likelihood my shop will have those tools...probably have to be sent out?

·
Registered
784 Posts
boostmiser said:
How much would this cost? What tools are involved? I wonder the likelihood my shop will have those tools...probably have to be sent out?
Typically when I install a new clutch with the old flywheel I will surface and balance the piece. My local........in fact most local auto machine shops will do this quickly because they know it is a "car down" situation. The cost can vary from location to location but for me the cost is approx. $50.00.

I hope that this helps..... I still feel cetain that you will be fine after chatting with the folks at UUC.

Shadowman

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Called UUC today.
The SSK's were due in today to UUC so it should have been shipped out tonight...cross fingers
I discussed the shudder issue with them. They believe it's going to work itself out...basically deposits on the flywheel or something like that. They are confident it's not the clutch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts