BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about this...I've screwed down as far as it can and I still can't start the car. Anyway to adjust the switch to a higher level?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, after some reading, I guess the newer clutch sensors needs the clutch to be totally disengaged in order for it to start the car.

Some has cut excess bolt to make it work, but now I see no point in this thing. Unless I can start the car right after where I can actually shift without grinding gears then that's great. I have to push the clutch almost all the way down in order to start, but shifting I only need to push in 2 - 3 inches the most. Anyone know how to get it to work properly and be useful or to "turn off" the clutch switch(if possible without screwing up anything else) or even adjust it to go higher???

swingkat420 said:
Question about this...I've screwed down as far as it can and I still can't start the car. Anyway to adjust the switch to a higher level?

·
Registered
319 Posts
When you say "newer," what exactly do you mean? Is 2002 M5 affected?

Thanks!

swingkat420 said:
Ok, after some reading, I guess the newer clutch sensors needs the clutch to be totally disengaged in order for it to start the car.
QUOTE]

·
Registered
931 Posts
Don't even try to mod the switch!!!!!

I had to remove some of the hardware that is screwed on the stud. I seem to remember that I had to shorten the stud some too. You will have to play around with this to get the stop screwed in far enough so the car will start. You still want to minimize the amount of travel of the clutch arm. Once done and set, you will love this little gem lovelove

·
Registered
55 Posts
I modified the striking plate that activates the switch by JB welding a piece of plastic to the striking plate. It fit around the striking plate nicely. The source of this plastic was the antiskid plate on a set of wheel chocks. JB Welding a piece of metal to the striking plate may also work. My 2000 M5 would not start without this.

Joe Pavlik

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just curious - Euro M5's (to the best of knowledge) don't have this "safety" feature, I certainly have never needed to touch the clutch to start any of my manual cars (BMW's or otherwise; and there have been many). Is it an "electronic" thing that can be overridden by BMW computer hook up? If not, what is the update to the US models to cripple the car like this and how can it be reversed ... I guess that's the question I'd be asking myself if I was on the other side of the pond :1: After all, there seem to be fixes for the other "safety" features - side mirror, buy a new one - Nav "Accept", downgrade/upgrade software - etc. etc.

Just before I press "send", it occurs to me - is this the reason that Euro clutches typically last much longer than the US ones (IIRC, it's been mentioned before in this forum...)?

Regards,

Gary.

M5Joe said:
I modified the striking plate that activates the switch by JB welding a piece of plastic to the striking plate. It fit around the striking plate nicely. The source of this plastic was the antiskid plate on a set of wheel chocks. JB Welding a piece of metal to the striking plate may also work. My 2000 M5 would not start without this.

Joe Pavlik

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess they need to add a lot of "safety/disclaimers" over hear because we Americans are "sue" happy, so if something we do something stupid, we have to sue someone, can't sue ourselves!

grp said:
Just curious - Euro M5's (to the best of knowledge) don't have this "safety" feature, I certainly have never needed to touch the clutch to start any of my manual cars (BMW's or otherwise; and there have been many). Is it an "electronic" thing that can be overridden by BMW computer hook up? If not, what is the update to the US models to cripple the car like this and how can it be reversed ... I guess that's the question I'd be asking myself if I was on the other side of the pond :1: After all, there seem to be fixes for the other "safety" features - side mirror, buy a new one - Nav "Accept", downgrade/upgrade software - etc. etc.

Just before I press "send", it occurs to me - is this the reason that Euro clutches typically last much longer than the US ones (IIRC, it's been mentioned before in this forum...)?

Regards,

Gary.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Those who may have tried playing with the momentary switch...please PM me, I have some questions.

swingkat420 said:
I guess they need to add a lot of "safety/disclaimers" over hear because we Americans are "sue" happy, so if something we do something stupid, we have to sue someone, can't sue ourselves!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts