BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to buy the UUC clutch stop after it was suggested here, to replace my home made stop which was not pretty and had no rubber surface. I just got it and can't install it!

I cut about 1/2" off the bolt so I could thread it down enough, but even with the stop against the firewall and without the stop bolt and washer, there is too much stop to even get by the clutch position sensor.

What to do now? I'm not prepared to start shaving the big rubber stop down. Can I safely (and without major hassle) change the position sensor threshold?

Thanks??????

·
Registered
931 Posts
Wait.............

Don't cut the rubber. I was initially put off by this not being a plug-and-play item. However after playing around with the nut, etc... I got just the right setting. Now I don't remember exactly what it is though... **** old age again. I think it was just the nut, no washers of any kind, and the whole thing screwed down tight. Now with the clutch arm on the stop, the engine will start. No waisted over travel. I love it!!!! This is the way it should have been from the factory!!!!

Good Luck :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I also had to cut down the bolt quite a bit to get it to work. I tried to figure a way to bypass the sensor but gave up because some other things more important came up at the time (this was a couple of years ago).

:cheers:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mr_bock said:
Wait.............

Don't cut the rubber. I was initially put off by this not being a plug-and-play item. However after playing around with the nut, etc... I got just the right setting. Now I don't remember exactly what it is though... **** old age again. I think it was just the nut, no washers of any kind, and the whole thing screwed down tight. Now with the clutch arm on the stop, the engine will start. No waisted over travel. I love it!!!! This is the way it should have been from the factory!!!!

Good Luck :M5thumbs:
Your clutch stop must have been different from mine. I had to cut the bolt, and THEN I was able to screw it right down to the firewall, with NO washer or nut. STILL - I can't get it to start because, obviously, the clutch can't be depressed enought to get past the position sensor.

Thanks just the same.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Tom Burns said:
Your clutch stop must have been different from mine. I had to cut the bolt, and THEN I was able to screw it right down to the firewall, with NO washer or nut. STILL - I can't get it to start because, obviously, the clutch can't be depressed enought to get past the position sensor.

Thanks just the same.
I would then talk to UUC about this.... LOL

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mr_bock said:
I would then talk to UUC about this.... LOL
This morning I DIDN'T call UUC. I NEVER spoke to UUC. The only way to fix my problems would be to disable/bypass the clutch position sensor. But that would be circumventing a safety feature, so UUC would NEVER SUGGEST it (for obvious reasons), even if someone else DIDN'T call.

If anyone one else doesn't call them, the won't get this information either. :3:

So now I don't want to know how to bypass this switch. If anyone here doesn't know either, I'd appreciate you not telling me as soon as possible.

Thanks to all who don't respond.:nono:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Tom...I called them about this when I bought it 2 years ago and had to cut down the bolt and remove the nut/washer to get it to work. Actually, I called them before that and even posted this on the board asking for help with determining a way to easily defeat the sensor. No one figure it out or replied. UUC told me that the Big Boy stop doesn't work with some vehicles and offered to refund my money if I sent it back. That's when I decided to modify it myself. It actually works pretty well for me now and reduced clutch travel a little bit and the feel is nicer than the stock plastic clutch stop.

Tom Burns said:
This morning I DIDN'T call UUC. I NEVER spoke to UUC. The only way to fix my problems would be to disable/bypass the clutch position sensor. But that would be circumventing a safety feature, so UUC would NEVER SUGGEST it (for obvious reasons), even if someone else DIDN'T call.

If anyone one else doesn't call them, the won't get this information either. :3:

So now I don't want to know how to bypass this switch. If anyone here doesn't know either, I'd appreciate you not telling me as soon as possible.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
XrayMD said:
Tom...I called them about this when I bought it 2 years ago and had to cut down the bolt and remove the nut/washer to get it to work. Actually, I called them before that and even posted this on the board asking for help with determining a way to easily defeat the sensor. No one figure it out or replied. UUC told me that the Big Boy stop doesn't work with some vehicles and offered to refund my money if I sent it back. That's when I decided to modify it myself. It actually works pretty well for me now and reduced clutch travel a little bit and the feel is nicer than the stock plastic clutch stop.

Thanks, but I don't have that option. As I mentioned, I DID cut down the bolt and installed it withoug the washer or nut, right flush down to the firewall, but it still won't depress enought to clear the sensor.

Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
I DO NOT know what you're talking about and I AM NOT thanking you for something that you DID NOT do.:1:

Tom Burns said:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Someone clarify why one would buy this product?

I don't know about you, but I never push the clutch in anywhere near the clutch stop when shifting. It engages inches before that. The synchros mesh inches before the stop. So ....???

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
ard said:
I'm not confused.
Why is everyone so negative? I didn't not buy a Rogue clutch stop, once. So I did not install it never. I didn't have to leave it uncut, and didn't even have to use the washer or nut. Then it never didn't work. It never didn't work beautifully. Everytime I didn't put in the clutch, it didn't even act up, much. It worked so good that it was bad, very bad - which was good. I didn't not like it at all. It wasn't not a wonderful improvement.

Geez, rereading what I just wrote, it reads like Dr. Seusse's "Green Eggs and Ham" Man, I gotta quit drinking cherrsagai

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Why is everyone so negative? I didn't not buy a Rogue clutch stop, once. So I did not install it never. I didn't have to leave it uncut, and didn't even have to use the washer or nut. Then it never didn't work. It never didn't work beautifully. Everytime I didn't put in the clutch, it didn't even act up, much. It worked so good that it was bad, very bad - which was good. I didn't not like it at all. It wasn't not a wonderful improvement.

Geez, rereading what I just wrote, it reads like Dr. Seusse's "Green Eggs and Ham" Man, I gotta quit drinking cherrsagai

I did not think I would never not get confused by a thread that I know nothing about until now. I never did not want to buy a UUC clutch, but I never had to get a new clutch (not once). But if I do, I will be sure to always not call UUC about the stop because I would probably think that I would never use one if it was never required. So the real question is, and I still don't know, is that if a UUC clutch stop is or is not required, do we still have to modify the clutch stop as is, or should we not even bother because it may not be required in hind-sight? cherrsagai :typing:

·
Registered
2,817 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
boostmiser said:
Someone clarify why one would buy this product?

I don't know about you, but I never push the clutch in anywhere near the clutch stop when shifting. It engages inches before that. The synchros mesh inches before the stop. So ....???
The travel of the clutch without a stop is much longer than it needs to be for the clutch to be engaged. Using a clutch stop shortens this distance, so you don't waste time and effort pushing it more than you have to. Some might argue that his makes little difference to performance measurements, but even so, it might, and mostly it feels much more solid.

It's not a big deal. And it's only a few bucks to change it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts