BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Search (UUS) and you will find nothing but praise for this setup....that is until just yesterday when someone posted a slippage problem with the stage 1 setup. The only downside is the cost....but it's supposedly made up in the longevity/durability of this setup.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have had mine (stage I) almost a year now. No problems... I don't often launch from a dead stop, however once rolling I can lay rubber, catch second gear, lay more rubber, hit third, and put some more down. Oh by the way, I have the Dinan 3.45 rear gear set that helps putting more torque out.

Best of Luck with your decision.... :M5launch:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
boostmiser said:
Search (UUS) and you will find nothing but praise for this setup....that is until just yesterday when someone posted a slippage problem with the stage 1 setup. The only downside is the cost....but it's supposedly made up in the longevity/durability of this setup.
Thanks for the reply. Did you mean search UUC? If so, where? I looked on UUC's website and could not find user feedback.

·
Registered
590 Posts
crmcinco said:
Thanks for the reply. Did you mean search UUC? If so, where? I looked on UUC's website and could not find user feedback.
Search this site crmcinco. You'll find tons of stuff. Lots of knowledgeable people to help you.

Joe

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hudson said:
Search this site crmcinco. You'll find tons of stuff. Lots of knowledgeable people to help you.

Joe
You're right, I've learned a lot about the clutch/flywheel UUC offers and am really close to placing an order. I just wanted to get a feel for how many M5 owners actually installed the UUC clutch/flywheel combo and how happy they are with it.

Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
stever said:
get a UUC dealer to install it, so that if there any issues there isn't any finger pointing
Unfortunately there is no dealer close to me. Do you know of anyone having problems with a UUC installation?

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
boostmiser said:
I be that person that had issues, although I don't beleive them to be UUC's fault. I loved the new clutch setup and i only had the stage 1 setup. It felt 10x better than the mushy setup and very responsive (take note when in sport mode) I do not regret my decision to go with UUC. The guys there are helpful and prior to my purchase up to now I've had communication with Rob and others there.

I do agree price is a lil high, but we get what we pay for, hence the reasons we all drive beast. I can say however, i'm not looking forward to dropping another 2900 for a new clutch in less than 3 months.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Stryder69 said:
I be that person that had issues, although I don't beleive them to be UUC's fault. I loved the new clutch setup and i only had the stage 1 setup. It felt 10x better than the mushy setup and very responsive (take note when in sport mode) I do not regret my decision to go with UUC. The guys there are helpful and prior to my purchase up to now I've had communication with Rob and others there.

I do agree price is a lil high, but we get what we pay for, hence the reasons we all drive beast. I can say however, i'm not looking forward to dropping another 2900 for a new clutch in less than 3 months.
Since you already have the hardware associated with the conversion system, dont you just need to buy a new clutch disc? I thought those were in comparision relatively cheap? Josh

·
Registered
22 Posts
bmwusa said:
Since you already have the hardware associated with the conversion system, dont you just need to buy a new clutch disc? I thought those were in comparision relatively cheap? Josh
Rob from UUC eft me a message yesterday and he stated another possible failure issue would be that I had a rear main seal failure. If that was the case than I would need a total replacement. Not haapy still with the possibilites, but happy still with UUC!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Stryder69 said:
Rob from UUC eft me a message yesterday and he stated another possible failure issue would be that I had a rear main seal failure. If that was the case than I would need a total replacement. Not haapy still with the possibilites, but happy still with UUC!
Not knowing a whole lot about this, why would a rear main seal failure ruin the pressure plate and flywheel? I could see if oil leaking from the rear main seal would contaminate the friction disc or clutch? what ever its called, still learningmmmmmm but why would the other hardware need replaced? Just wondering, Im like a sponge I just want more and more info, Thanks Josh

·
Registered
22 Posts
bmwusa said:
Not knowing a whole lot about this, why would a rear main seal failure ruin the pressure plate and flywheel? I could see if oil leaking from the rear main seal would contaminate the friction disc or clutch? what ever its called, still learningmmmmmm but why would the other hardware need replaced? Just wondering, Im like a sponge I just want more and more info, Thanks Josh
Don't know the answer to your question. I'm in learning mode myself. I buy em and drive em, but now I'm learning. I'll keep you posted for certain. Clutches and transmissions have alwayd been an uncertainty for me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm very happy with the performance of my car, even with the way the clutch is slipping now - it is driveable and I still enjoy the hell out of it. (My clutch starting slipping at 20K miles, and has steadily gotten worse. I now have 62K miles).

It is looking like the safest bet is to just replace the existing clutch with a stock clutch. I really do not see large numbers of owners who've done a UUC replacement. I would venture to guess that the majority of clutch replacements have been stock.

·
Registered
22 Posts
crmcinco said:
I'm very happy with the performance of my car, even with the way the clutch is slipping now - it is driveable and I still enjoy the hell out of it. (My clutch starting slipping at 20K miles, and has steadily gotten worse. I now have 62K miles).

It is looking like the safest bet is to just replace the existing clutch with a stock clutch. I really do not see large numbers of owners who've done a UUC replacement. I would venture to guess that the majority of clutch replacements have been stock.
The most important thing is what is important to you. if the stock clutch will satisfy you then by all means stick with it. I too had the same question when it came time for me to replace my clutch at 38k miles and the one thing that stuck with me was how many people over the web had issues with the stock performance of their M5 clutch. I must have visited 5 different forums and UUC kept coming up.

I love my beast, but I do think BMW fell short on the coffe cup holders and most importantly the clutch. I don't think for the extra 1000.00 I think you'll go wrong. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stryder69 said:
The most important thing is what is important to you. if the stock clutch will satisfy you then by all means stick with it. I too had the same question when it came time for me to replace my clutch at 38k miles and the one thing that stuck with me was how many people over the web had issues with the stock performance of their M5 clutch. I must have visited 5 different forums and UUC kept coming up.

I love my beast, but I do think BMW fell short on the coffe cup holders and most importantly the clutch. I don't think for the extra 1000.00 I think you'll go wrong. Good luck with whatever choice you make.
I just read your post about your clutch slipping at 5K miles - WOW, scary. It is looking like I'll be going stock.

It is not the money, I want a hassle free replacement. Besides if you keep your hard launches and power shifting to a minimum the OEM clutch will do fine. Even now, mine only slips under those conditions - If I pause to make sure the transmission is fully engaged there is practically no slippage.

I sent an e-mail to Rob asking for numbers of clutches he's sold to M5 owners and have not gotten a reply. I also sent an e-mail to SPEC with no luck.

Thanks, Carlos

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
crmcinco said:
It is not the money, I want a hassle free replacement. Thanks, Carlos
Under this premise, the UUC oversize clutch is the best choice hands-down. There simply will be no competitor until someone else comes out with a clutch of similar diameter. You need to consider the following:

A 9-5/8" clutch is what you find in Ford Pinto, Chevy Vega, BMW 528i or M5.
An 11" clutch is what you find in a 3/4 ton truck or V12 BMW or Corvette.

The OEM M5 clutch has a troublesome SAC adjuster mechanism.

The undersized OEM clutch is the weakest component on the M5 as it severely compromises performance & reliability. A 2 ton car with nearly 50/50 weight distribution & Fred Flintstone rear tires places tremendous strain on the clutch. A 6 cyl 3 series clutch diameter is not adequate.

An 11" clutch is 50% larger than the original M5 and other competitors. This difference is huge. Just like brakes, larger clutches with more swept area can absorb more BTU's, so the clutch does not get as hot and they are capable of absorbing a lot more abuse with equivalent disk materials. In addition, larger clutches of similar design offer much higher torque ratings.

Higher performance disks are available for the small or large clutches. It is up to the owner to wisely choose the proper disk for the duty or abuse it will be subjected to. Clutches of any design will occasionally fail due to abuse or ancillary hardware troubles such as hydraulics, trans snouts, rear main seals, etc.

When folks drag race with the lightest duty OEM organic disks available, they may burn or glaze. It does not matter if it's the best quality Centerforce or Luk or OEM...it "can" fail. It does not matter if this clutch is in a Ferrari or Viper or BMW or Corvette.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Lscman said:
Under this premise, the UUC oversize clutch is the best choice hands-down. There simply will be no competitor until someone else comes out with a clutch of similar diameter. You need to consider the following:

A 9-5/8" clutch is what you find in Ford Pinto, Chevy Vega, BMW 528i or M5.
An 11" clutch is what you find in a 3/4 ton truck or V12 BMW or Corvette.

The OEM M5 clutch has a troublesome SAC adjuster mechanism.

The undersized OEM clutch is the weakest component on the M5 as it severely compromises performance & reliability. A 2 ton car with nearly 50/50 weight distribution & Fred Flintstone rear tires places tremendous strain on the clutch. A 6 cyl 3 series clutch diameter is not adequate.

An 11" clutch is 50% larger than the original M5 and other competitors. This difference is huge. Just like brakes, larger clutches with more swept area can absorb more BTU's, so the clutch does not get as hot and they are capable of absorbing a lot more abuse with equivalent disk materials. In addition, larger clutches of similar design offer much higher torque ratings.

Higher performance disks are available for the small or large clutches. It is up to the owner to wisely choose the proper disk for the duty or abuse it will be subjected to. Clutches of any design will occasionally fail due to abuse or ancillary hardware troubles such as hydraulics, trans snouts, rear main seals, etc.

When folks drag race with the lightest duty OEM organic disks available, they may burn or glaze. It does not matter if it's the best quality Centerforce or Luk or OEM...it "can" fail. It does not matter if this clutch is in a Ferrari or Viper or BMW or Corvette.
Word from a wise person.....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bottom line, how many M5 owners have replaced their OEM clutches with UUC clutches. If it is as good as many of these posts say it is, you would think that there would be many responses to my original request for feedback, read back through this thread - only two members have provided feedback.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts