BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

My dad spoke with one of the internals of BMW (the same guy who said the car had 530 hp and not 507 before it came to the public), they were chit chatting and then the source said you could only use LC approx. 25 times before you need a new clutch.

Have anyone else heard anything like this? We're having a hard time believing this particular one, does the manual says anything about this or have any of you heard any rumors that says the same way?

If not, then I guess Launch Control will never be used, except for when you are having a standstill fight against some really fast supercar you are sure you only have a chance to beat if you use Launch Control..

Happy motoring all :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Never heard of it. Manual doesn´t state any figure.

I have used LC only once in 21000km, just out of curiosity!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Reaper_e39M5 said:
How was it? :noSMG:
B R U T A L .................... :M5launch:

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
We have used it about 20times and the car is fine....

all the best
adam

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
The USA M3 does have a launch control that several members here have discovered, but it is not quite as extreme in that it does not rev to the same level as the rest of the world M3s.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have done 3000mls in my m5 and still have not used LC befor this i had a E46 M3 and used it once and the car whent in to limp home mode.
MortenDK said:
Hey all

My dad spoke with one of the internals of BMW (the same guy who said the car had 530 hp and not 507 before it came to the public), they were chit chatting and then the source said you could only use LC approx. 25 times before you need a new clutch.

Have anyone else heard anything like this? We're having a hard time believing this particular one, does the manual says anything about this or have any of you heard any rumors that says the same way?

If not, then I guess Launch Control will never be used, except for when you are having a standstill fight against some really fast supercar you are sure you only have a chance to beat if you use Launch Control..

Happy motoring all :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Adam said:
We have used it about 20times and the car is fine....
Adam, please keep count and report what happens, especially when you exceed 30 or 40. From what I can tell, this may not take too long.

Tom

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well from what I have heard 530 HP is what the car has once on the dyno! It is not a shocker that BMW under rated this motor to the public to evade compeditors from doing some last min things.

Clutches should last longer than 25 times, if not for some BS reason, "not Physics" people will be getting the 6 speed. 4,000 RPM is not that big of a deal physicaly, it grips and the tires do the spinning. The golden rule...spin the tires against the pavemnet not the clutch against the fly wheel! That is when you burn out a clutch.

Floyd

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
But part of LC is to allow wheel spin, but also to provide the best launch, which means that the computer is modulating the clutch as well, causing it to slip. So a launch would be brutal on the clutch.

If you are taking off hard and just dump the clutch under full throttle, there go your tires while the person you were going to race is disappearing into the distance. So, your "golden rule" might preserve the clutch, but at the expense of actually moving.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I agree with Cidair.

I you can only use it 25 times before clutch renewal, it should be stated in the manual.
Otherwise BMW should repair it under warranty.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Vic said:
I agree with Cidair.

I you can only use it 25 times before clutch renewal, it should be stated in the manual.
Otherwise BMW should repair it under warranty.
If a function destroys the clutch after 25 uses, the function doesn't belong in the car in the first place.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Which is why part of me really feels like LC is a gimmick. It will be interesting to hear how many times LC gets used by the majority of owners.

·
Registered
260 Posts
What?! Only 25 times before you need a new clutch?

What does LC do exactly that is soo taxing on the car? Also, how much does a new clutch replacement cost?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts