BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad to join the BMW owners club here. This is my first one and hopefully a good one. I found this low mile one owner E60 M5 down in Kentucky and had to take the gamble.

I can already tell the electronics are going to be a delight

Absolutely love it so far

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First order of business, I did my first oil change on the E60. I decided to go down to 5W-30 for a couple reasons: The TSB from BMW allows it now and I do have a short commute where the 10W-60 will definitely not heat up during the Michigan winter.

First Blackstone sample is going out as well to check for bearing wear

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

flacoramos, genuinely interested. This is the TSB I was referring to and the two options for Gasoline M engines. S85 engine is also mentioned specifically. Do you have another source of information?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks flacoramos,

I saw the note at the top, but I guess it was misleading to me. I read that BMW SAE 5W-30 Synthetic does not apply for M, but the 3 options below apply for M vehicles. Castrol Edge Professional 5W-30 Synthetic then applies.

My plan was to go "lighter" in the cold Michigan winters (plus I only have short trips) and back to 10W-60 for summer usage. If oil consumption is too high I may switch sooner, or go with something like redline 5w50.

Fingers crossed and thanks again for the hints 😀

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you don't feel the urge to look back every time, you bought the wrong car

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts