BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a 2006 E60. A lot of them I see are about the same price and with the same options. The differences are that one might have 10k miles but 2.5 years left on the warranty and the other one would have 7500 miles but only 1.5 years left.
Which one is the better pick?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Usually I would always take the lower mileage and then buy the extended warranty......if you go to sell it in a couple of years...you'll get a premimum for the lower mileage.....but if it's only 2500 miles difference then I would take the longer warranty

Chris

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Usually I would always take the lower mileage and then buy the extended warranty......if you go to sell it in a couple of years...you'll get a premimum for the lower mileage.....but if it's only 2500 miles difference then I would take the longer warranty

Chris
+1 Warranty is the way to go.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.
Unfortunately I was close to buying a good one recently but the buyer pulled out. That one was the one with more warranty (9500 miles but bought in December 2006) and I'm trying to find something comparable. I'm seeing some around the same price and 7k miles but purchased in October 2005. More than a year difference.
Oh well. Guess I need to be patient and keep looking.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Warranty is the MOST important insurance, mileage doesn't matter, does it if it's protected..........no da.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure how much extended warranties cost and if they cover as much as the original BMW 4-year warranties. But I was wondering how to quantify the differences. Say that one car has one less year of warranty. And let's say an 4 year extended warranty costs something like $4k (pulled that number out of my arse), is it reasonable to say that the one year difference is worth $1k? And then conversely, is it reasonable to try to quantify what a 2500 mile difference on the car would be?
Or is this all too subjective to make a case for?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I think you have to compare the two cars and consider how many miles you are going to drive a year and then determine, based on remaining term, remaining miles and expected usage, which warranty is likely to givce you the longets coverage. Since these cars are both very low mileage, I would assume term will be more relevant that mileage.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I was thinking of mileage in terms of resale but I'll probably keep mine a long time (look at my current car) so I guess mileage in the long run won't mean much. Years later 100k is negligible compared to 97500 miles.
I guess have a good running car is more important in that sense. And a warranty provides that assurance more so than 2500 less miles.
Thanks again for the input.

PS - I also wonder if extended warranties are available for all cars. Since even BMW won't CPO these cars, is it possible to get warranties? Probably should do a search but I'm already writing this so please excuse my laziness :)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yes, aftermarket warranties are available....I just bought one for my M5 with 20000 miles on it....100,000 miles and 5 additional years.....including all electronics and nav...for $4100

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, aftermarket warranties are available....I just bought one for my M5 with 20000 miles on it....100,000 miles and 5 additional years.....including all electronics and nav...for $4100
Thanks a lot. That helps me quantify what a year of warranty is worth - about $800 or so it seems. In which case it doesn't seem worth it for me to keep looking for an M5 with an in-service date in 2006, which is what I've been doing and discounting ones that expire in 2009.
Can you tell me where you got the warranty from? And when you say 5 additional years, do you mean on top of the 4 years?
Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts