BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ABS control unit was broken, so I bought one from e-bay that says compatible with E39 M5.

After I installed it, there is an error, both brake and traction light are on. Using code scanner, I got: "3A DSC No message from EGS control unit"

I found EGS is BMW's (automatic?) transmission control unit - Does E39 M5 has EGS?.
If not, maybe this ABS control unit is for car with automatic transmission.

Thanks,
Karl

·
Registered
78 Posts
I believe the ABS module has to be coded to fit your car. If it is a used part, I believe the dealership will not code it for you, however.
If you have INPA or ISTA I think that would provide a much better description of the issue though.

What was wrong with the ABS unit? I believe sending it in for a rebuild is a much better choice than purchasing another used part that has a tendency to break again real soon.
If you still have the return window open for your ebay purchase I'd say get it refunded and rebuild your own ABS instead.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, indeed it need to be coded with my current car's info.

It is easy if I know how to do it, but it turn out just trying to figure out which software to use takes a lot of time searching and reading. After reading too many useless info, finally decided to give ECS-Expert a try.
1. get my last installed INPA NCS-expert in old WIN XP laptop out, found the K+DCAN cable for connecting to OBD port
2. Follow this instructions:

• I don't see "expertmode" in profile, only "default mode" available.
  • click F1
  • select Chassis "E39"
  • select ECU type "IKE"
  • click F2, enter VIN got error, then cancel
click F3, got info filled out on display.
Noted the "fg" number displayed is not the same as car's VIN number

Then I need to click "go back" - this is where the instruction is different from my software

after clicked "go back", I got a new menu for coding

then click F4 "process ecu", then select "DSC" ecu for coding
then click F3 "execute job", afterward, its done.

Karl
2003, E39 M5

·
Registered
78 Posts
Okay I think there are some coding errors for the IKE I'm thinking. By selecting ECU type "IKE", NCSExpert will read the coded values on the IKE (The instrument cluster).
Have you changed your instrument cluster or see an orange dot, the tamper dot, next to the mileage?

Expertmode profile is probably on one of the forums like bimmerfest or somewhere in m5board, try the E60/E64 forum where coding is more popular.

and just make sure you know what you are doing with NCSExpert. Process ecu will most likely just read of the ecu, but execute job can be critical. (e.g. SG_CODIEREN or something like that).
Select the job based on what you want to do. I think a blank .MAN file on ECSExpert will recode the car based on your VO (vehicle order) and from the SP-Daten files.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I have no idea what NCS-expert is doing.
I just blindly follow the instruction, and does not understand select EWS/IKE/KMB means.
All I see now is that the "traction control" warning light is gone.

I think I only coded ABS/ECS module, and did not modified any things else, right?

Hopefully I will learn about this ECS-Expert stuff later :)

Karl

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes, what I am assuming is that ECSExpert coded your ABS module based on your vehicle order.

I will send you a PM.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Beginner’s Guide to Coding With NCS Expert: explained quite a few terminology

Thread: Dummies Guide to Basic coding with NCS Expert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts