BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again gang,

I never had the "check engine" light illuminate on my M5, which is definitely included in the "bugged" batch. My unit rolled off the line in late October 1999 and was delivered November 24, 1999. My M5 has 6800 miles now and I've never had the engine light problem. Originally if your M5 had the problem your DME was sent back to BMW for reprogramming, but now the dealer has the software and can download it locally. My dealer checked the computer for me last week and there are two open service campaigns:
1)reprogram DME with new software
2)check brake light switch (I got the recall notice on this 2 weeks ago before dealers even knew).

Did any M5 owners notice any differencce in the performance of the car after the DME was flashed?

Thanks from Tampa.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I didn't notice any better or worse performance after the reprogramming. The only thing it did was make the check engine
light go away. It was saying my car was running too rich at one of the oxygen sensors.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi, I just brought my M5 in to get carbon fiber trim installed, and they also reprogrammed the DME while it was there. My car is a Nov '99 build, and I have never had the check engine light illuminate, either. I have just under 8000 miles on it now.

I noticed a _definite_ perceived performance increase! Now, this might just be a ramped-up throttle response curve in non-sport mode, but my car definitly seems to have more power available, and quicker, too. Bonus!

Interesting to note that this work package was in the form of a recall -- it's noted as recall #276 on the work order, "122499 M5 Check Engine Light Illuminated, Label #276".

There's another message, from neuromancer, about a week ago saying the same thing.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Yea. I just went in to my dealer to have it checked out and they told me itwas a recall also. Not a big deal, I suppose. What else would you call it?

--Dan

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Bobafett, which dealer around here did you take it to?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Dan,
I'm going to Peter Pan tomorrow to get it done. Drop off in the early am and pick up at luch. Allison is actually closer to me but I got better personal service at up in San Mateo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts