BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many M5 on the sale-market and also the WIN. Some begins with "BZxxxxx" and other with "CFxxxxx". Does anyone know why the M5 in the USA start either with BZ or CF. In Europe we have "GJxxxxx".

·
10,458 Posts
m5.individual said:
I have seen many M5 on the sale-market and also the WIN. Some begins with "BZxxxxx" and other with "CFxxxxx". Does anyone know why the M5 in the USA start either with BZ or CF. In Europe we have "GJxxxxx".
I thought M cars vin starts with WBS...
but the letters you refer to probably have to do with the country code and or model year.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mottati said:
I thought M cars vin starts with WBS...
but the letters you refer to probably have to do with the country code and or model year.
Yes, you are probably right. Are there anyone who is sure about it?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
He is talking about the last 7 digits. They start with BZ or CF.
From what I can tell, BZ denotes model year 00 and 01. CF denotes model year 02 and 03. This may not be exact but the bottom line is BZ vins are earlier model cars than CF vins.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
boostmiser said:
From what I can tell, BZ denotes model year 00 and 01. CF denotes model year 02 and 03. This may not be exact but the bottom line is BZ vins are earlier model cars than CF vins.
Ok, thank you very much!

·
Registered
590 Posts
boostmiser said:
Boostmiser I read from my Alldata that the 11th digit is the plant code. Maybe it's different with the M's. I don't have a list for plants though. Does anyone?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just one more data point; I've got a MY2000, and numerals 11-13 of it's VIN number are YBZ - Easy for me to remember because BZ is an NATO Navy term for "job well done!"

Cheers! :cheers: :M5launch:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts