BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were buying a car from the local dealer, I'd bang on the sales guy until I've gotten at least a coupla G off. The bmwusa.com website has discounted sales prices for most standard series cars . . . have any of you guys ever done better than that listed Euro delivery price?

E.g., a 335i cab. MSRP is $49,100; Euro delivery is $45,665. If I were buying local, I'd bang on the guy for $3k or something and probably pay $46,xxx not including options. If buying for Euro delivery, can I successfully knock a few G off of that $45,665 number?

Anybody? :blabla:

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Absolutelty. The discount for Euro delivery comes from BMW, not the dealer.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Euro delivery gives you a straight forward 7% discount. Why that magic number? Because the dealers have an 8% markup over "invoice" from BMW. Euro delivery effectively kills all the profit, since dealers always hold back that extra 1% to cover administrative costs (paperwork, people's salaries, overhead, etc.) Sometimes you'll do better than 7% or 8%, but only if the dealer wants to actually lose money on the car. From the dealers/salespeople I've talked to, BMW doesn't really have back-end rebates. That is being done by the USA car companies who typically have 20% or more markup on their more expensive vehicles. BMW has an 8% markup on a 328i (only a few grand at most), and an 8% markup on an M6 (almost $10k), whereas a GMC Yukon Denali could have a $10k+ markup on a $45k vehicle!

The M cars are allowed through Euro delivery, but BMW doesn't discount them. That is where you would have to negotiate through the dealership instead of getting the no-hassle, 7% discounted Euro delivery. Talking to another BMW owner at the track this weekend (CCA driving school), he said the best way to do Euro delivery is to just open up the Internet and start e-mailing dealerships. Just tell them what you want, you want to order it Euro delivery, and what is the BEST price they can offer. Within a couple days you'll have a dealership chosen, and ultimately the car will be delivered to your local dealership once you have returned regardless of where you actually bought it.

Reactions: 6speed and CBarton

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
If you were on the West Coast I would say call Philippe Kahn @ South Bay, but since you are on the East Coast. Adrian is the man to talk to regarding Euro Delivery.

Adrian Avila
BMW/Mini of South Atlanta
4171 Jonesboro Road Union City, GA 30291

Main Phone: 1-888-280-4265
Alt Phone: 770-329-9793

[email protected]

Tell him Cosmos from the Board sent ya.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless my reading comprehension skills are weak due to all the beers I pounded at happy hour :hihihi:, Andrew's and James' posts conflict. I'm reading James' post as "don't hope to knock a few more grand off of the standard 7%-off ED price; the margin is already thin as a c-hair." I see the wisdom in calling around; just wanted to have some expectations going in . . . still confused. ouich

Interesting Cos, I almost did biz with Adrian when he was at Nalley. Cool guy.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Buy non-M car, non USA car (i.e. X5, X3, and Z4 until recently), and you get 7% discount, Euro delivery.

Buy M3/M5/M6, BMW gives you NO discount. However, that doesn't mean you couldn't still negotiate with the dealer, it's just that what is perhaps one of the biggest features of the delivery, the discount, doesn't apply unless you negotiate it with the dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Received $2000 off from the dealer on 540 euro delivery purchase. This was in addition to the BMW discount.

On my M5, I told the dealer I had never paid retail for any car. I got $100 off.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Euro delivery gives you a straight forward 7% discount. Why that magic number? Because the dealers have an 8% markup over "invoice" from BMW. Euro delivery effectively kills all the profit, since dealers always hold back that extra 1% to cover administrative costs (paperwork, people's salaries, overhead, etc.) Sometimes you'll do better than 7% or 8%, but only if the dealer wants to actually lose money on the car.
I have not done a Euro Delivery, but have researched it in the past. It is my understanding that Euro Delivery cars have a lower invoice "cost" to the dealer, so the dealer makes the same percentage profit. This means the dealer also has the same ability to "deal". The Euro Delivery car does not come from the normal dealer allocation, which makes the car an "extra" sale. These rules do not apply to M cars :nono:

There is a dedicated Euro Delivery Forum at Bimmerfest:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

1 - 9 of 9 Posts