BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what’s the understanding on swapping in US spec hella taillights in a pre-facelift M5?

The voltage is 12v however you have to drill new holes for the bottom two studs?
Do the stock hella taillights fit in the pre-facelift wells?
I have the taillights and getting ready to install.
Do you need resistors to keep the LCM light off?

What are your experiences?

I understand there used to be a hella kit with ballasts that operated on 10v for the LEDs?

i ordered the wire connector adapters to support the facelift wiring harness connector.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
If the lights are the same size as the stock +2001 then they will need bodywork, they are deeper. There is at least one set of LED lights that are for the pre cars, no idea which ones.
Start here and then you can go find an old thread by ? MattDrift ? name is something like that might have numbers behind it and it is likely 8 years old, sorry my memory sucks, he puts LEDS in a pre car step by step.
This was found in the FAQ thread the other might be in the DIY thread.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Sailor. I read that thread before creating this thread.
Definitely interested in what others have experience implementing this upgrade using U.S. hella lights (non-hella kit).

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Definitely interested in what others have experience
That user name is not right either for the second thread. It was something like it but might be enough to tweak someones memory. I searched high and low for the thread and user name but came up empty.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Sailor! My backup plan is to take the car to my bodyshop friend to fit the lights. They make such a difference cosmetically I don’t think this upgrade is optional.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I compared the two tail lights (pre vs post facelift) and there is definitely a depth difference between them. So far my understanding from research is the size is different, the voltage is 12v, the wire connectors are different and the LCM will need programming after installation of the new lights.

I don’t see an easy way to adjust the depth of the light itself so this might be a job for a bodyshop to fit the new lights into the wells.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Reactions: Sailor24

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are US spec lights thicker than EU because of the sidemarkers?

I have instructions from my hella retrofit kit if it helps:

This works for euro lights not sure about US.
There was also some rubber mallet bashing required around the area you need to file. No mention of this in instruction.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the last two posts. Both were very informative!
This job looks pretty straightforward based on your posts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts