BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

A friend of mine not on the board is getting together a group buy of Quaife differentials. Here's the info:

(from Tim Holmgren)
=====
The difference between the ATB (the Quaife diff) and a standard LSD is that the ATB is a continuously variable LSD and it is completely mechanical. There are no parts to wear out. (My car has 120K miles on it, and it feels as though all limited slip action is gone.) And the torque bias tends to be adjusted instantly and seamlessly as traction conditions shift from wheel to wheel. It is a Torsen 2 type diff similar to what Audi uses in their cars. The 3.91 is the stock ratio for the E28, which Quaife doesn't recommend changing. I imagine that if one were ordering a diff for a different model with a different final drive ratio, Quaife would install the proper stock ratio. I'm sure it is possible in some applications to order a higher numerical ratio diff. For my mostly road car, I would rather have an accurate speedometer.

I talked with Brett at Koala Motorsport who said that the diffs could be built in January. If there are enough orders, cost would be $1500 to $2000 each. A 50% downpayment would be required prior to ordering. Brett informed me that this particular diff works on all M5's through the E39, the E46 M3, E34 540i, E32 740 and 750i, the 87-88 M6 and all 8 series cars. If you know any owners of the above models, please let them know. This diff has not been available for a couple years. I initially convinced Quaife to build just one diff for me. Brett suggested I spread the word. I don't know when or if it will become available again.

Koala Motorsport and Brett can be contacted at:

Koala Motorsport
8229 Kinsman Rd
Novelty, OH 44072
(440) 564 7574
[email protected]

Although Quaife has an American office, Koala has an exclusive arrangement to sell the diff for the M5. Koala and Quaife America have been kind enough to offer to build as few as one unit instead of the normal lot of 25.

I love my M5, but I just want a lot more confidence in spirited driving without having to put sandbags in the trunk or some other weird strategy. An acquaintance of mine installed an ATB in his 535i and promptly went out and beat all the M5's at a recent SIR track day. I hope you have found this info worthwhile.

Best regards,

Tim Holmgren
[email protected]
=====

Contact Tim or Brett if you're interested.

John R. Allen

·
Registered
601 Posts
did anything ever come of this ??

has anyone instaleld a Quaife in their E39 or other car .
Ive seen them on ebay now and then.........

interested in hearing

??

1 - 2 of 2 Posts