BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My sales rep gave me some sales literature for the US M5.

The launch control is available every 7 minutes unless the clutch is overheated then it will ignore the comand.

Im going to try to scan it and convert it into pdf. Or maybe i could fax it to someone here who knows how to do it

Does anyone have access to www.bmwcenternet.com it is publication
M5PIB2006

·
Registered
829 Posts
hal2000 said:
My sales rep gave me some sales literature for the US M5.

The launch control is available every 7 minutes unless the clutch is overheated then it will ignore the comand.

Im going to try to scan it and convert it into pdf. Or maybe i could fax it to someone here who knows how to do it
You actaully need Acrobat Profesional to be able to create PDF files. If you have it then it's really easy, you just click the "Create PDF" button and then select "From scanner".

If you don't have it then the best thing would be to create a low quality JPG file using the software which came with your scanner and then upload it here as an attachment.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:
FYI-If you are using a mac, you don't need Acrobat pro to create a PDF- its embedded right into the OS- just select print and then look for a "save to PDF" command. its not as robust as the full Acrobat but its a good thing to know....

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
one tidbit i coulndt find in any of the literature.

Is the 4.5 second 0-60 figure using Launch control or not using launch control?

Some have said it is not with LC however i havent seen it officially in print

·
Registered
251 Posts
hal2000 said:
so in the US it launches at 4000 and in europe 4500 rpms?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a few hundred RPM's :cool2: The M5 pulls like a trainl from 2000 rpm+ :byee55amg It would be even more true in 1st gear.

On a different note, the M5 was just a Matric Farewall car for my brother (driven by me ofcourse :hihi:), what you Americans call Senior Prom I believe. It made all the limo's and usual fancy cars look like Kias :7: There were more people looking at the car than there were people in the hall looking at the couples :hihi: Mostly males though

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
masmole said:
so in the US it launches at 4000 and in europe 4500 rpms?
I can't see that would make a heck of a lot of difference. It will be interesting to see if the US acelleration times are as good as the European times.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wolverine said:
I can't see that would make a heck of a lot of difference. It will be interesting to see if the US acelleration times are as good as the European times.
it makes a huge difference! "I live my life one quarter mile at a time." :M5launch: :haha:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To be honest i cant see myself ever using launch control especially with the toddler car seats in the back

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm curious about how launch control works, is a 4k launch necessarily slower than one at 4.5k? How does the system 'read' the amount of available traction and adjust accordingly?

I remember reading that certain cars with huge horsepower and torque actually benefit from launching with traction control on.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I believe that a difference in 500 RPM in launch will make some difference with the M5 as its relative smaller amount of low-end grunt will benefit from more engine momentum and higher-power/clutch-slip being thrown into the launch.

Tom

·
Registered
469 Posts
I believe that once in this board it was going around that US cars would have a launch at 2K RPM's. So it launching at 4K is a relief.

bernhtp said:
I believe that a difference in 500 RPM in launch will make some difference with the M5 as its relative smaller amount of low-end grunt will benefit from more engine momentum and higher-power/clutch-slip being thrown into the launch.

Tom

·
Registered
251 Posts
StealthBlue said:
I believe that once in this board it was going around that US cars would have a launch at 2K RPM's. So it launching at 4K is a relief.
you're absolutely right. 4k is a lot better than the rumored 2k... so lets quit while we're ahead cherrsagai

·
Registered
150 Posts
Launch Control in an M5 is rediculous. The engineers should be scolded hard on that oneouich .

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
WOW 4K! COOL!!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts