BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 407 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I´m organizing a group buy for Bosch MAFs (part number F 00C 2G2 032)

Price will be US$ 115 per MAF + postage, possibly lower if we get enough people interested. You need two per S62 engine.

Can also include the necessary security torx bits for US$ 10 for either 5-point or 6-point type. US$ 15 for both.
Normally you will only need one, but if you have replaced one of the MAFs already you may need both. Either take a close look at the screws on both MAFs, or order the pair. (The 6-point security torx is the type that is readily available as parts of kits found in hardware stores, so you may already have it.)

If there are enough buyers in the US, I will send all the US MAFs in one shipment to a friend of mine who will repackage in individual boxes.

Once I know how many people are interested and where they are located, I will calculate exact shipping costs.

Payment will be via Paypal. All shipments will be insured.

Anyone interested, please send me a PM with your details.

David

·
Registered
188 Posts
PM sent. Very interested.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
DavidS said:
I´m organizing a group buy for Bosch MAFs (part number F 00C 2G2 032)

Price will be US$ 115 per MAF + postage, possibly lower if we get enough people interested. You need two per S62 engine.

Can also include the necessary security torx bits for US$ 10 for either 5-point or 6-point type. US$ 15 for both.
Normally you will only need one, but if you have replaced one of the MAFs already you may need both. Either take a close look at the screws on both MAFs, or order the pair. (The 6-point security torx is the type that is readily available as parts of kits found in hardware stores, so you may already have it.)

If there are enough buyers in the US, I will send all the US MAFs in one shipment to a friend of mine who will repackage in individual boxes.

Once I know how many people are interested and where they are located, I will calculate exact shipping costs.

Payment will be via Paypal. All shipments will be insured.

Anyone interested, please send me a PM with your details.

David

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jerry,

I would think those have a very long shelf life, if stored in dry and dust-free conditions.

I would leave those in the box, and keep it indoors, rather than in the garage.

David

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mine has 36k , and the power doesn't seam as good as it used to when I bought it with 25k, plugs + oil service made no difference, so guess its not such a bad item to replace judging by all the positive posts.

Count me in

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Swedish fellow board member NTJ has been kind and brought to my attention that the F 00C 2G2 032 MAF sensor does not have the two small retaining extensions found on the F 00C 2G2 029 originally mounted on the S62.

Because of this difference the M5 MAF cables will only be held in place by the contact friction. (Although it seems it has worked well in practice so far for those M5 owners who use the "032".)

NTJ has also suggested a possible fix: placing a tie-wrap around the cable connector and MAF housing thus locking the cable safely in place.

I will include a suitable black tie-wrap in the kits. Those aren´t expensive, so price will stay.

NTJ pointed out one draw-back, that tie-wraps aren´t very elegant. If anyone has a suggestion for a better way of securing the cable, I´d value the input.

David

·
Registered
977 Posts
Is it really going to be a given that MAFs are going to go bad? $115/ea sounds like a steal, but my car is ALSO CPO'd for another 2 years (I'll hit that before mileage). By the time CPO ends, I'll be around 70k miles (if I still have the car that long). Just wonderng if I should buy the MAFs incase I have an issue after CPO. I suppose they'd be an easy item to sell.

At 45k now, I have no issues that seem to be MAF like. I pulled them out to clean them, but nothing came off. THe center seemed to have a black coating on it, but I Wasn't sure if that was normal or not. I have to do the MAF test with the OBC still I guess.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HDClown said:
Is it really going to be a given that MAFs are going to go bad? $115/ea sounds like a steal, but my car is ALSO CPO'd for another 2 years (I'll hit that before mileage). By the time CPO ends, I'll be around 70k miles (if I still have the car that long). Just wonderng if I should buy the MAFs incase I have an issue after CPO. I suppose they'd be an easy item to sell.

At 45k now, I have no issues that seem to be MAF like. I pulled them out to clean them, but nothing came off. THe center seemed to have a black coating on it, but I Wasn't sure if that was normal or not. I have to do the MAF test with the OBC still I guess.
I think it is best to perform MAF tests now and then, and only open and clean the MAFs when there is some sign of degradation. There is always an element of risk of getting some dirt into the engine whenever the intake system is opened.

About the "black coating", did both MAFs on your car look the same?

Best Regs,

David

·
Registered
120 Posts
David,

I am interested, but can I settle payment in ways other than paypal, even in advance? I don't have a paypal account. I will pay extra shipping for shipment to Hong Kong if that can be arranged, otherwise I would try to use an US address.
Thanks.

·
Registered
977 Posts
DavidS said:
I think it is best to perform MAF tests now and then, and only open and clean the MAFs when there is some sign of degradation. There is always an element of risk of getting some dirt into the engine whenever the intake system is opened.

About the "black coating", did both MAFs on your car look the same?

Best Regs,

David
Both MAF's looked the same. The intake piping looked pretty clean overall. The maf housing had nothing in it. The sensors were not shiny looking like I thought they possibly should be. It could be that they have a cover of grit on them, but I was reluctant to really squeeze a q-tip in there and break the sensors. The MAF's on the Audi's are so sensitive you can brake them by touching them lightly, wasn't sure if the S62 MAF's are the same way.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
DavidS said:
NTJ has also suggested a possible fix: placing a tie-wrap around the cable connector and MAF housing thus locking the cable safely in place.

I will include a suitable black tie-wrap in the kits. Those aren´t expensive, so price will stay.

NTJ pointed out one draw-back, that tie-wraps aren´t very elegant. If anyone has a suggestion for a better way of securing the cable, I´d value the input.

David
From having driven in desert conditions in the late summer, I know firsthand how much heat the engine compartment of an M5 throws off when the hood is opened for a fluid check. Heat simply billows out! We'd want to be careful here...

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BKH said:
From having driven in desert conditions in the late summer, I know firsthand how much heat the engine compartment of an M5 throws off when the hood is opened for a fluid check. Heat simply billows out! We'd want to be careful here...
BKH,

That is a very good point. We will use heat stabilized tie-wraps, that are specified for opeartion at +145 deg C. That should be more than enough for the location in the front part of the engine compartment.

I haven´t found +145 deg C ties in any colour other than natural nylon, so for the benefit of those who favour aestetics, I´ll also include +105 deg C black ties.

About these temperatures: those are the manufacturers specification for full mechanical strength. In this application there will be very little load on the ties, as those only are there to keep the connector from unplugging.

Today people use thes MAFs in M5s without any ties, relying just on friction alone to keep the connector in place.

Best Regs,

David

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I'm in for the MAFS and the 5-point bit. I am not a bit concerned about the lack of locking tabs, high-temp ties will do fine. Based on my experience I'm treating MAFS as consumables, good for about 15-20K miles max. They seem to be a real weak link re. the driveability of this car so big savings are a good thing!.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BKH said:
I'm in for the MAFS and the 5-point bit. I am not a bit concerned about the lack of locking tabs, high-temp ties will do fine. Based on my experience I'm treating MAFS as consumables, good for about 15-20K miles max. They seem to be a real weak link re. the driveability of this car so big savings are a good thing!.
With milage in the 15-20K miles range on the MAFs, I´d suggest to check the intake air filters very carefully for holes and good sealing at the edges.

All it takes is one tiny hole through the airfilter, and there will get much more particles into the MAF.

David

1 - 20 of 407 Posts