BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hi all,

Currently sitting on I-15 with a flat on my passenger rear. I changed out the tire using the Bimmian spare but noticed there is a silver wheel spacer/disk included.

Is this for use on the rear? The spare fit fine.

Quick input appreciated!!!

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I would guess it is for the rear. I do not know. Either way, I don't think it would hurt to install it though. You are just moving the tire out a bit more......

BTW, I do like bewbies......

Reactions: doe

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thanks for the replies guys. I popped on the spacer and I'm currently making my way safely across the Mojave at 50/mph!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Is it Bimmian or the BimmerZone space saver spare? If the latter then yeah you need to use the spacer as the spare will not fit the hub...

Reactions: doe

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Is it Bimmian or the BimmerZone space saver spare? If the latter then yeah you need to use the spacer as the spare will not fit the hub...
thanks for the clarification. I was flustered when I first posted and was wrong. I found the right answer while searching but updating from the desert on AT&T's network was too painful :D

for future reference, the spacer is necessary for the front as well?

The tire worked beautifully, but I forgot how awful driving 50 mph is. It took 7 hours to get home, thankfully traffic was fairly light.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
thanks for the clarification. I was flustered when I first posted and was wrong. I found the right answer while searching but updating from the desert on AT&T's network was too painful :D

for future reference, the spacer is necessary for the front as well?

The tire worked beautifully, but I forgot how awful driving 50 mph is. It took 7 hours to get home, thankfully traffic was fairly light.
The spacer is meant to reduce the bore from 74.1 to 72.6mm. It's necessary on either axle.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is a good time to mention to everyone with one of these to familiarize yourself with the instructions that came with the set up. On the side of the road may not be the best place to figure this out. No dig at the OP, just a public service announcement.

To reiterate, the spare tire is from Bimmerzone(They deserve credit). You always need to use the spacer, as it is not for clearance, but for adapting the wheel center bore to the odd ball center bore of the E39. And you should, therefore, use the extra long lug bolts that came in the kit.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
This is a good time to mention to everyone with one of these to familiarize yourself with the instructions that came with the set up. On the side of the road may not be the best place to figure this out. No dig at the OP, just a public service announcement.

To reiterate, the spare tire is from Bimmerzone(They deserve credit). You always need to use the spacer, as it is not for clearance, but for adapting the wheel center bore to the odd ball center bore of the E39. And you should, therefore, use the extra long lug bolts that came in the kit.

It's not oddball anymore, the E70 X5 uses it too :eek7:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Glad to hear you made it back OK bro.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts