BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm mostly through the driver's side part of my first-ever DIY brake pad replacement. With the help of several great articles on this website, and the awesome Dave of Zeckhausen Racing, I made it all the way to the final step of replacing the brake wear sensor.

My problem is that I can't figure out how to pop open the pastic electrical connector on the fender wall. I've been prying away on everything that looks like a catch or opening, but it's not budging, and I don't want to break it.

What's the trick for opening it up?

Since my car is in the garage on a jack right now and I need it working by Monday, I'd really appreciate it if anyone with an answer could email me directly at [email protected], in addition to posting it here for future reference, of course.

I've been searching the archives for an hour now without turning up the info I need. That's the problem with a topic as popular as brakes and that darn sensor light...

-Brett

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
You usually use a little screwdriver to pop open the little latches on the box (there should be two there). It can be quite tough to snap open though as a lot of dirt is inside. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Brett,

If you look at the end of the new sensor, you should see that the plug snaps in with a little tab to hold it together. Pry the tab away and push the plug apart. It's usually the other end with the clip into the pad that gives you trouble in reusing it and you end up replacing the sensor.

Good Luck, John

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
brettcoon said:
My problem is that I can't figure out how to pop open the pastic electrical connector on the fender wall. I've been prying away on everything that looks like a catch or opening, but it's not budging, and I don't want to break it.

What's the trick for opening it up?
The hinge faces the front of the car, so you want to pry the door open at the end facing the rear of the car. It can be popped open with your fingers or you can use a screwdriver. It's not that hard, although if you are inexperienced, it may seem that the door is about to break. Just go for it! At worst, you'll need to spring for a new plastic box.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for quick replies, everyone.

After posting my question I worked on it some more, and managed to get it open. I took a couple digital pictures, too, so if they turn out well I'll try to post one with some markings to make it easier for the next person who tries this.

The problem turned out to be that there are four tabs holding the door shut. As others described, the panel cover is a door with hinges on the left. There are two obvious tabs on the right side, but also a small tab on the top and another on the bottom. I didn't see these two, and it wasn't until I started poking a screwdriver under the door that the bottom catch opened and I figured out the problem.

Thanks again for the quick followup!

-Brett

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Glad to see you made out alright. Congratulations on finishing your first brake job on the M5.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
brettcoon said:
Thanks for quick replies, everyone.

After posting my question I worked on it some more, and managed to get it open. I took a couple digital pictures, too, so if they turn out well I'll try to post one with some markings to make it easier for the next person who tries this.

The problem turned out to be that there are four tabs holding the door shut. As others described, the panel cover is a door with hinges on the left. There are two obvious tabs on the right side, but also a small tab on the top and another on the bottom. I didn't see these two, and it wasn't until I started poking a screwdriver under the door that the bottom catch opened and I figured out the problem.

Thanks again for the quick followup!

-Brett
As promised, here's a picture that will hopefully make things easier for the next person who tries this. The picture shows the panel cover open, with the four tabs or clips that hold it shut labeled.

I'm not sure my attachment is working, so I'll try <a href="http://cheesepipe.com/pics/BrakeSensor.jpg">linking to it directly</a>, too.

-Brett

Attachments

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Thanks Brett,

The two clips on the side are pretty obvious. Once I got the clip on the top off as well the door opened with little problem. It took me longer to research replacing the sensor than actually doing it. hiha

Thanks Dave, I finally put the pads on my car.

Bob

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Thanks Brett,

The two clips on the side are pretty obvious. Once I got the clip on the top off as well the door opened with little problem. It took me longer to research replacing the sensor than actually doing it. hiha

Thanks Dave, I finally put the pads on my car.

Bob
And it only took 10 years. :applause:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts