BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i ordered 2 relays from bmw oil cooler relay and smg relay.

Where can i find which is which to replace? Thanks

It looks different from diy pics im in Australia

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Can anyone tell me please what is top right pink relay for?
Edit i think thats secondary air pump relay correct?

Where can i find diagram (for relays please?)
Real oem drawing are different as its for usa

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, still not good enough, bmw supllied me smg relay and its none of the ones in the box

Where can i find or buy wiring diagram for this box and wiring harness?

I cant believe the bmw dealer cannot even provide a diagram of what relay does what

Not marked under the cover either

Whats the secret?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok seeing as no one had any idea and conflicting information on forums i found the following in my case:

Top left large black relay is smg relay (no contacts large terminals)

Top right pink relay is secondary air pump relay

Bottom left green is oil cooler relay

Glad i replaced smg relay, upon opening the contacts didnt look healthy

Also a fyi when i read on the forums i replaced my "pink relay" thinking it was smg relay with the incorrect smg relay bmw supplied me and a puff of smoke came out and shorted 12v to gnd. The small gnd wire burnt out
I dont think it served a real function other than a "brake" when the secondary air pump relay is off (its a no and nc relay)
I was quite panicked because bmw supplied an incorrect relay and couldnt tell me exact location of each relay other than "the box" and the mis information on the forums didnt help either

Apprently there is a pink smg relay which is dual pole, i have a feeling it may be for smg 2

anway ran new wire to earth in e box and soldered and secured to under air pump relay and all is well

Next time ill just let bmw change something like this

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Thank you for following up. Clever the way you figured it out - and those diagrams with the terminal numbers that match the relay are very interesting.

You never said what year your car was. Are the different colours for relays due to the fact that the car was made for the Australian market, or could it be a function of year? Or could it be that there are several pink relays (which I've always assumed meant SMG III)?

Still, M5e60_87's links seem to be to the point; at least by colour.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts