BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys...

Anyone with a pre-LCI e63 (2007 or older) may want to do this...
I upgraded my front turn signal/parking lights and AE's.
But got error codes from my new 08+ LED Front Turn Signal/Parking Lights.
And I wanted to make my new LED AE's into DRL's.

You could hard wire the AE's & use a load resistor for the fault code generated from the lack of front parking lights. But I going another route that I think is cleaner and will offer some other options. To do that, you need to first upgrade your LM1 (light module 1) to a LM2 (light module 2) then have it coded to your car with the changes you want.

Attached is PDF from BMWCoding.com
I will use TRIPL3_O Coding for remote coding once I get the new module installed. I have attached a list of options they offer.

Rich Wong

Attachments

Reactions: bocol and Clyde

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
** Update **

Purchased a LM2 from ebay and cable + coding time from 'Okee' @ CodeMyCar, LLC

He first sent me files to upload to my laptop, then he opened and installed the files he needed.
Then with the cable he provided, He tried updating the VIN in the used ebay LM2.
Okee tried remote update for about an hour (3 attempts), no luck.

I then purchase another LM2 module, this one was new.
Once again he remotely attempted to update the VIN in the new LM2 module...Success!

Next he Coded the changes I wanted (about 1.5 hours)
- Code in used LM2 module (only necessary if you have a LM1 module)

- disable legal screen
- delete weather band
- enable AE as DRL (this also creates a check box in the settings for user control, cleaner way than wiring and selectable)

- enable welcome lights
- double hazards

- blinkers in HUD
- enable fan speed in auto mode
- mirror folding with remote or keyless entry
- disable parking/turn signal bulb check (great if you have upgrade your front turns to LED - kills bulb out fault)
- disable rear tail/turn signal bulb check (for flashing LED rear tails if you upgrade to 08+ full LED tails - but not test yet)

Having him code was cleaner and easier than wiring or learning to code myself :M5thumbs:

Rich Wong

·
Registered
615 Posts
Attached is PDF from BMWCoding.com
I will use TRIPL3_O Coding for remote coding once I get the new module installed. I have attached a list of options they offer.

Rich Wong
Very nicely done!

How much did the coding cost? I am curious how it stacks up against getting a cable yourself.

For those that are interested Rebel.Ranter also posted that PDF on the 6 series board, here is the dialog which may also be of use LM2 Module upgrade - Get Welcome lights - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okee charged me $175.00.
$40.00 for the cable (refundable upon return if you want) and $135.00 for the coding.

IMHO...wll worth the $$. My option would be to buy a cable
(china ones cheap @ $20 and may or may not work)
(proven ones for $99)

Then finding the correct files & software to do the job
and learning how to code, while reading German.
Maybe 5 hours if I'm lucky?

MMMM....I'll pay the $135.00 and he offers unlimited coding
How can you loose? It took him 2 hours maybe?
I can find other things I want to do with my very limited free time.

Rich Wong

·
Registered
615 Posts
MMMM....I'll pay the $135.00 and he offers unlimited coding
How can you loose? It took him 2 hours maybe?
I can find other things I want to do with my very limited free time.

Rich Wong
I agree, this is a very minimal charge and well worth the money. The dependable cable that works is typically $90 but then you have to track down the software and implement a sometimes lengthy install. I was fortunate that I bought a cable that included a no-brainer software install and it cost only $60 total. Having the installer package eliminated all the hassle and meant I could start coding right out of the box. The unfortunate part is that the company that offered this kit was shut down by BMW.

Once I coded the options I wanted I have had very little use for my cable and software. But I did (for free) gladly help a local board member with some coding so I feel good about that!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Did you have a harness to plug into the LM2 ? i am struggling with this it is impossible to code the angel eyes they never come on - i have read the harness needs repinning...?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you have a harness to plug into the LM2 ? i am struggling with this it is impossible to code the angel eyes they never come on - i have read the harness needs repinning...?
I only used the OE harness (unplug old and plugged the new) and did not re-pin the LM2 module. Are you sure that you have a LM2?
The only other 'workaround' that I've heard is for a E60 where a extra wire was run from the LM unit to the tailights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts